Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

damn it, i want Z signed for at least 8 years by like....yesterday

#22 B.B.

B.B.

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Dump-N-Thump @ June 27, 2008 - 07:55AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we have 11.. Mac/Downey would make 13.. and thats all teh forwards we are carrying.. since we are going to carry 8 D-Men.. Meech would be considered the 2nd reserve forward.. So it works out well..

Helm - Abdelkader will probaly start in GR barring an amazing training camp.. Just for more playing time, not because they aren't ready.

--

I personaly think Emery would be a great addition.. He's a good young goaltender still.. In Ottawa the blame was put on him for the losses. Well if you dont have Defense.. your going to end up loosing no matter what goalie you have.. And i think Detroit proved that during the stretch where Lids,Kronner,Raffi? were gone.. We found our selves in the midst of a loosing streak and it was all to do with a Inexperienced bunch of defensmen

No, signing Mac and Downey to two-way deals means that we can and probably will send at least one of them down to GR (assuming there are no injuries). Therefore, this would give us the flexibility to go out an acquire one or even two FA forwards and keep Helm, Mac and Downey and Abs in GR in case of injuries.

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

I don't care about this one way or another. He doesn't give us anything we don't have, and I honestly didn't want him on this team anyways, since I never liked him.

He's basically Kirk Maltby without Kirk Maltby's popularity as a Wing.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Dump-N-Thump

Dump-N-Thump

We're coming for you Jackman!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (B.B. @ June 27, 2008 - 02:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, signing Mac and Downey to two-way deals means that we can and probably will send at least one of them down to GR (assuming there are no injuries). Therefore, this would give us the flexibility to go out an acquire one or even two FA forwards and keep Helm, Mac and Downey and Abs in GR in case of injuries.

I realize what a 2way contract is, I think you might of just misunderstood what i wrote..

I was just speculationg the scenario as if we stayed put and didn't make any jump into FA.. that Mac and Downey would be on the roster.. I dont see Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm on the 4th line when they can be playing 1st line in GR..

#25 B.B.

B.B.

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Dump-N-Thump @ June 27, 2008 - 05:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I realize what a 2way contract is, I think you might of just misunderstood what i wrote..

I was just speculationg the scenario as if we stayed put and didn't make any jump into FA.. that Mac and Downey would be on the roster.. I dont see Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm on the 4th line when they can be playing 1st line in GR..

Yeah, I misunderstood what you wrote. My bad.

I agree, I can't see Helm or Abdelkader playing in Detroit next year unless there are a plethora of injuries. However, while Downey and Mac could be our 12th and 13th forwards, I don't think Kenny wants them to be. Offering them two-way deals allows us more flexibility and the ability to sign one to two FA forwards.

#26 Bluedevils_13

Bluedevils_13

The Danimal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

Even if we don't sign Stuart, and Chelios happens to not resign, Ericsson still wouldn't be on the team next year I think. We have Lebda, Meech, Quincey, and Possibly Lilja all fighting for the 4,5, and 6th spot, who all can not clear waivers while Big E can.

#27 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hail Downey.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#28 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

-Holland wants to offer both Downey and McCarty 2 way deals, but not till July 1st

Gooooood.

Great career Dallas, I'll miss you, but it did my heart good to see you hoist that Stanley Cup.

#NOMOREKINDL

#29 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (B.B. @ June 27, 2008 - 02:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thumbup.gif exactly! Helm will see more time here than Mac and Downey, but keeping Downey and Mac in GRR opens the door for Rolston (or whoever Kenny picks up.) Downey should get the nod over Mac as the 13th forward, but Helm, in my opinion deserves to be here. Sure he would get more ice-time in GRR, but given the choice, I think he'd rather play 10 minutes a game in the NHL than 25 in the AHL. Dunno, just something about making it to the NHL and gaining NHL experience trumps the extra 15 minutes per game in the AHL. Call me Kookee!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

...quick thought. I am not taking anything away for Ray Bourque, but isn't it nicer to see a veteren (who hasn't yet won a Cup) come in, contribute the entire season, endure injuries, healthy scratches, tooth and claw as a member of the team the ENTIRE season and raise that Cup, than to just be traded to a team (that would've won the Cup regardless of him) and see him pretty much ne given a Cup? Sure, career-wise Ray Bourque did everything right, but win that Cup. He was out of the playoffs and he was handed to Colorado and played for 3 months and got his Cup. IT was nice to see it happen, but he didn't earn his way to the playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but Dallas Drake started 0-0 with this team and bled for the Wings for 9-10 months, helping this team the entire way. Maybe they would've won without Drake, but just looking at which player feels like he earned it more that season, I think Bourque was given the Cup and Drake earned it...

...sorry to hi-jack the thread...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#31 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ June 27, 2008 - 07:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...quick thought. I am not taking anything away for Ray Bourque, but isn't it nicer to see a veteren (who hasn't yet won a Cup) come in, contribute the entire season, endure injuries, healthy scratches, tooth and claw as a member of the team the ENTIRE season and raise that Cup, than to just be traded to a team (that would've won the Cup regardless of him) and see him pretty much ne given a Cup? Sure, career-wise Ray Bourque did everything right, but win that Cup. He was out of the playoffs and he was handed to Colorado and played for 3 months and got his Cup. IT was nice to see it happen, but he didn't earn his way to the playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but Dallas Drake started 0-0 with this team and bled for the Wings for 9-10 months, helping this team the entire way. Maybe they would've won without Drake, but just looking at which player feels like he earned it more that season, I think Bourque was given the Cup and Drake earned it...

...sorry to hi-jack the thread...

Bourque had been acquired the year before. He played with Colorado the whole season in which he won the Cup.

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (HenryMalredo @ June 27, 2008 - 09:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bourque had been acquired the year before. He played with Colorado the whole season in which he won the Cup.

...and I stand corrected! Thank you! but in all reality you can insert any vetere'ns name in place of Bourque and understnad what I was getting at. Oh well! Thanks again for the correction!

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#33 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

I was thinking about this while i was reading the list of names of free agents this year and i came across Doug Weights name. It dawned on me that if Holland is thinking about bring a Drake type player to take Drakes place, wouldnt Weight be a decent replacement? Hes got michigan ties being from Warren and plays almost the same style as Drake. I've always liked him even if he has been an oiler for years and currently plays for the ducks....what does everyone think? Dumb idea?

#34 katiephd

katiephd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, definitely sounds like Drake is leaning towards retirement.

I'm not going to be making any formal announcements until sometime later in July but I've always thought it would be nice to go out on top. (more)

Babcock: Nice to win, eh?

#35 BobRouse03

BobRouse03

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Hank Dats 'N Homer @ June 27, 2008 - 11:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking about this while i was reading the list of names of free agents this year and i came across Doug Weights name. It dawned on me that if Holland is thinking about bring a Drake type player to take Drakes place, wouldnt Weight be a decent replacement? Hes got michigan ties being from Warren and plays almost the same style as Drake. I've always liked him even if he has been an oiler for years and currently plays for the ducks....what does everyone think? Dumb idea?

For the love of God.....NO

#36 Yemack

Yemack

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Hank Dats 'N Homer @ June 27, 2008 - 11:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that sounds like a move only Burke would do IMO he's too slow and Wings don't need a playmaker. He isn't even a good one at that right now

Anyway Dallas.. thanx for everything. I don't want to be mean but I'm sure you wouldn't want to end your carrier going back and forth between Grand Rapids and Red Wings. Again thanks for your amazing effort during this playoff.
We acquire the strength we have overcome.

#37 jvxp

jvxp

Wings fan since the 80's !

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (BeeRYCE @ June 27, 2008 - 01:38AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All looks good except Chelios close to signing. Sorry, but we have so many promising D-men in the system and he's filling that void. I'd rather see Quincey, Meech, or Ericsson more than Cheli... Love the guy though.

Agreed ! thumbup.gif

#38 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

I don't how many times I have to say this.

If Chelios doesn't come back, we have two -- count 'em: two -- veterans on the blue line. These two -- count 'em: two -- veterans play on the same pairing. Neither of these two -- count 'em: two -- veterans plays anything remotely resembling Chelios's game, and neither is generally as experienced as Chelios is. The Wings want at least one veteran in the bottom 5-6 mix, thus Chelios being re-signed. You take away Chelios and you've got two veterans playing on the first pairing, Kronwall on the second, and Lebda and Lilja battling for the remaining spots with several unproven youngsters. That may work, but it may not. Holland is making the right decision in being safe -- i.e., bringing Chelios back to the fold.

And honestly, it's not like Cheli's a lock to make the lineup anyway.

Edited by Dabura, 28 June 2008 - 04:27 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#39 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

Does the recent signing of Hossa change Drake's mind at all?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock