• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Bertuzzi placed on waivers.

Rate this topic

It's easy to hate Bertuzzi. He's got a real hateable mug. But before calling him useless, consider some of this:

He had the third-best plus/minus of all Anaheim forwards last year (behind only Getzlaf & Perry).

40 points in 68 games ain't too shabby, when you basically didn't play at all the season before and you're getting to know a new team and dealing with a concussion to start that season. That equates to about 50 points in 82 games.

He's a giant with an edge. Gives the Wings a dimension we totally lack. Our only giants are Lilja & Franzen. And they are harmless puppies.

Having a mean giant on the ice for you who isn't a defensive liability and also gets you 50 points (and possibly more) isn't something we want on the team?

Tell me he's overpaid at $4 million, tell me he's a pain in the neck to have in the dressing room.... but don't tell me he's useless.

Amen.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

The Bertuzzi factor

Posted byhtt George James Malik June 27, 2008 17:56PM

The Anaheim Ducks, facing a salary cap crunch as Scott Niedermayer's return and Corey Perry's status as a restricted free agent leaves Brian Burke facing the potential of another RFA offer sheet to match after July 1st, have decided to alleviate their cap problems by waiving Todd Bertuzzi for the purpose of buying him out.

The Detroit News's Ted Kulfan is thinking the same thing I am in this regard:

June 27, Detroit News: Did you notice where Todd Bertuzzi became available today? The Anaheim Ducks are waiving Big Bert after a sub-par season. Bertuzzi signed there for two years and $8 million total, but the Ducks have seen enough.

Bertuzzi, 33, only scored 13 goals and hasn't been the same player since the ugly incident before the lockout when he attacked Steve Moore.

But the Wings did like certain things about Bertuzzi (size, soft hands, seemed to blend in with his teammates) when he was here two seasons ago.

Would they be interested again, at the right price? Don't rule it out.

If Bertuzzi was willing to take the vast majority of his paycheque as the $2.6 million buyout he'll receive from the Ducks, I'd argue that Ken Holland might see a diminished Bertuzzi as a solid replacement for Dallas Drake with a bit more offensive upside.

Bertuzzi could provide a blend of physicality and forechecking presence, and while he's a 20-goal, 40-point-scorer at best right now, the Wings liked what Bertuzzi could bring, even as an injury-prone player past his prime, and Bertuzzi liked both Detroit's proximity to his home outside Kitchener and the fact that the organization asked the media to respect his boundaries.

Yikes...

... the only thing I can agree with is that we need someone who can match size and fighting against Anaheim, Calgary and (to a much lesser extent) San Jose... none of which we had to face this year (and in consecutive order, no less).

Can we get a Bertuzzi-type player, without the cancer?

Yikes...

... the only thing I can agree with is that we need someone who can match size and fighting against Anaheim, Calgary and (to a much lesser extent) San Jose... none of which we had to face this year (and in consecutive order, no less).

Can we get a Bertuzzi-type player, without the cancer?

The vets on this team are the chemo. If he had a whole year here, he'd be ready to go for the playoffs. He could solve the enforcer problem too, if he regained some size. he's one mean SOB when he wants to be.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

The Bertuzzi factor

Posted byhtt George James Malik June 27, 2008 17:56PM

The Anaheim Ducks, facing a salary cap crunch as Scott Niedermayer's return and Corey Perry's status as a restricted free agent leaves Brian Burke facing the potential of another RFA offer sheet to match after July 1st, have decided to alleviate their cap problems by waiving Todd Bertuzzi for the purpose of buying him out.

The Detroit News's Ted Kulfan is thinking the same thing I am in this regard:

June 27, Detroit News: Did you notice where Todd Bertuzzi became available today? The Anaheim Ducks are waiving Big Bert after a sub-par season. Bertuzzi signed there for two years and $8 million total, but the Ducks have seen enough.

Bertuzzi, 33, only scored 13 goals and hasn't been the same player since the ugly incident before the lockout when he attacked Steve Moore.

But the Wings did like certain things about Bertuzzi (size, soft hands, seemed to blend in with his teammates) when he was here two seasons ago.

Would they be interested again, at the right price? Don't rule it out.

If Bertuzzi was willing to take the vast majority of his paycheque as the $2.6 million buyout he'll receive from the Ducks, I'd argue that Ken Holland might see a diminished Bertuzzi as a solid replacement for Dallas Drake with a bit more offensive upside.

Bertuzzi could provide a blend of physicality and forechecking presence, and while he's a 20-goal, 40-point-scorer at best right now, the Wings liked what Bertuzzi could bring, even as an injury-prone player past his prime, and Bertuzzi liked both Detroit's proximity to his home outside Kitchener and the fact that the organization asked the media to respect his boundaries.

Given that it is for only 1 to 2 million and on a one-year deal, and that we have exhausted our possibilities of signing Sundin or Rolston, then I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him come back and taking Drake's role. With him, Franzen, Homer and Kopecky, we could roll out four separate lines with big guys who are tough to knock off their skates and more than capable of delivering some hits of their own, and protecting some of our smaller guys. I doubt Kenny does it, but we shall see.

The vets on this team are the chemo. If he had a whole year here, he'd be ready to go for the playoffs. He could solve the enforcer problem too, if he regained some size. he's one mean SOB when he wants to be.

Betuzzi is NOT an enforcer, by any stretch of the imagination.

Keep in mind that the signing wasn't bad because Bertuzzi is past his prime and is now a 2nd-3rd line power forward, it was bad because they paid 4 million for such a player. If Bertuzzi came to the Red Wings for LESS than 1 mil to replace Drake, I have no problem with it. 1 mil for a power forward on the 3rd line who might chip in 35-40pts is fine. If he asks for 2.5 mil, I'd say "Hell no!"

Edited by redwinger4747

Good job Holland letting him walk last year. WTF Ducks 4 million :lol: ! Why would any of you want him back? He didn't fit in here - I'd take small Jiri Hudler with the big heart after showing how he will play if given the chance in the line-up over washed up, slowed up Big Bert. Even at cheap I wouldn't like the fit on our team. No thanks - suck it up Ducks!!! Will Schneids be next??

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

...Holland isn't gonna do anything that'll disrupt his team. He wanted Bertuzzi after 07' he may still want him now, and it won't cost $4mm. I personally don't think he'd fit in, but Kenny knows better than us. He may offer him something. He would be a nice replacement for Drake. I'd rather Kenny spend money on someone with a little more offensive threat to him, but who am I?

...Holland will do the right thing. He will not harm this team, if he think Bert will help, then Bert will help. Same with Fedorov or Rolston. My personal choice would be Rolston, but again, who am I?

...Do the right thing Kenny! Whatever it may be!

Betuzzi is NOT an enforcer, by any stretch of the imagination.

Whoa, am I missing something here? An enforcer? WTF or who TF did he ever enforce? A replacement for Dally? Dally is a very well respected veteran hockey player who hits. Bert once in a while gets upset with somebody and gets a bad penalty for hitting late or slashing. More often than not he skates around like he could give two s***s and ends up pulling out somebody's rebound and putting over the goalie's glove with his soft hands. Not too much work for ya was it, Bert? Would hate to make ou sweat or over extend your physical self. Sheesh.

Sure he could work in Detroit, but Detroit can say that for 50% of the players in the league.

Oh well, if Detroit picks him up, I'd cheer for him and want him to do well. Personally I think Huddler has a lot more guts and tuffness than Bertuzzi.

Keep in mind that the signing wasn't bad because Bertuzzi is past his prime and is now a 2nd-3rd line power forward, it was bad because they paid 4 million for such a player. If Bertuzzi came to the Red Wings for LESS than 1 mil to replace Drake, I have no problem with it. 1 mil for a power forward on the 3rd line who might chip in 35-40pts is fine. If he asks for 2.5 mil, I'd say "[/quo

or "you remember where the door is, don't you."

Edited by T.Low

i wonder what he was smoking... <_<

Yeah I also wonder what this guys smoking....

:scared:

Naslund and Bertuzzi to Detroit ala a discount package deal! Do it! Just like the Kariya/Selanne package deal that Colorado did a few years ago. One year deal for each, the buddies get a chance to play together and prove they've still got it! I could see them being successful. They sign on for a discount price, we have one-year cap space galore anyway.

There are alot of "washed-up" comments from fans around the league about Bertuzzi and Naslund, but if the Wings announced the signing of these two guys on July 1, then it would strike fear into the hearts of the other teams in the Western Conference you can bet. And rightfully so!

wow just wow

It's too bad we gave up a top 10 overall NHL prospect for this guy. Matthias will be getting some solid playing time now in Florida, and could turn out to be a point producer like that Statsny kid - but with even more potential with that 6'3" frame. One of the few bad moves we've made lately.

...I agree with you, Matthias was a good prospect, but really, when was he ever gonna make this team? WIth Z and D gonna be here for life, then Flip, Helm and Emmerton (even that kid out of Finland they just signed,) Matthias would be a career AHL'r here until we couldn't send him down anymore then we'd probably would've have lost him to the Waiver wire. At least the 'potential' was there for Bertuzzi to work out here, but as we witnessed it didn't and we pretty much gave up a player that wouldn't have played here in a long, long time!

...and no offense to the Panthers, but my 4 year old son would get solid playing time there, I feel sorry for Matthias that it had to be Florida he got traded to! :lol:

Naslund and Bertuzzi to Detroit ala a discount package deal! Do it! Just like the Kariya/Selanne package deal that Colorado did a few years ago. One year deal for each, the buddies get a chance to play together and prove they've still got it! I could see them being successful. They sign on for a discount price, we have one-year cap space galore anyway.

There are alot of "washed-up" comments from fans around the league about Bertuzzi and Naslund, but if the Wings announced the signing of these two guys on July 1, then it would strike fear into the hearts of the other teams in the Western Conference you can bet. And rightfully so!

...yeah, and that worked out for Colorado didn't it? Hey why don't we sign Kariya? :ph34r: