• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

katiephd

Red Wings Up for an ESPY

Rate this topic

The sports awards show will air July 20 on ESPN.

[...]The Boston Red Sox, New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Detroit Red Wings and Kansas men's basketball and Tennessee women's basketball are nominated for best team.

Fans determine the winners in 37 categories by voting online or with mobile phones. (more)

Looks like voting can be done here.

Here's to this being the second- (or third-) best piece of news of the day.

EDIT: Took me awhile to find the full list of nominees, but...

- Datsyuk is also up for Best NHL Athlete.

- "Pens Stay Alive" is up for Best Finish. (I'll be looking away from the TV when they play that replay.)

Also, Crosby is up for "Hummer like Nothing Else Award." Um, :lol:

Edited by katiephd

Looks like voting can be done here.

Here's to this being the second- (or third-) best piece of news of the day.

While your at it, you can add Datsyuk as the best NHL player as well. :)

Edited by alowicious

How come Hank isn't also up for best player? I mean they have Cindy and Evgeni "I'm tired" Malkin up and they lost to Hank and Dats. I understand why Ovie is up there but Iginla?? ESPN is so inept when it comes to hockey.

Questions to consider:

-How much team work is really required?

-How did they play as a team?

-Are they likely to repeat?

-Did they have to overcome any adversity?

I think it should come down to the Celtics and the Wings although I don't know a single thing about WCBB. The Giants will do well because they have alot of fans, and the red sox or celtics will win it. I hate boston/NY sports teams.

Wouldn't be heartbroken if the Sox won it (since the Wings clearly won't on an ESPN-based awards show). I gather those other teams (Kansas and Tennessee) won their respective championships too? Or were they just really good?

Looking at 'Best Male Athlete'...yeesh...only one I can vote for (meaning, the only one I don't hate) is Brady. :lol:

Edited by edicius

the NY Giants are the team of the year. It's simple. With the Red Wings, Celtics, Red Sox....you can make a case entering the season that they would be good and have a shot at the title. The Giants weren't even supposed to make the playoffs or be any good. They never played at home during the playoffs, hell they played in the super bowl and were heavy underdogs still. Giants overcame all obstacles, gelled like a team should do and were fun to watch down the stretch. That cannot be said of the Red Wings, Celtics or Red Sox.

My money's on the Giants for that award.

Yeah, sadly, I have to agree (sadly, because I can't stand football). Sox probably come in as runners-up (coming back from down 3-1 in the ALCS, pseudo-shades of '04).

That said, the Pens HAVE to win Best Finish. As much as it sucked for us, it was incredible.

I voted for it. Can't stand the Pens, but you can't argue that it was an incredible finish (or choke job on our part, pick your poison :P).

Guest Shoreline

Good luck to Dats, and any other hockey players/teams there. Don't mean to sound cynical but the ESPYs have been a joke and biasedly against hockey for some time.

Edited by Shoreline

espn hates hockey because hockey is not an American sport.

It will be probably be the Giants because they're from New York.

Golf is not an American sport and ESPN seems to love it. Also NFL(Football) is not really that American since it borrows concepts from Rugby and Football (Soccer).

Edited by Jwo

Golf is not an American sport and ESPN seems to love it. Also NFL(Football) is not really that American since it borrows concepts from Rugby and Football (Soccer).

:blink:

Football is about as American as any sport can be.

As for golf, espn only loves Tiger Woods and not the game itself. Besides, it's not a sport and is only loved by Americans because it can be played by out of shape average joes.

:blink:

Football is about as American as any sport can be.

As for golf, espn only loves Tiger Woods and not the game itself. Besides, it's not a sport and is only loved by Americans because it can be played by out of shape average joes.

I guess Brett Hull and Keith Tkachuk were never overweight and out of shape then?

What about a fair share of offensive and defensive linemen being overweight and out of shape?

I guess Scots must dislike golf. Sergio Garcia must not be a Spaniard all of a sudden even though he plays golf. Ernie Els, and a handful of other South Africans? Nah, they are just "pretending" to play the sport.

I guess all the other major sports networks or Internet sites such as CBS.sportsline.com, Foxsports.com, SI.com, and even our beloved TSN.ca must be "pretending" to cover golf and have it among their major links to access SPORTS information then? It is a sport no matter how much you might not like it or understand the sport.

I guess Brett Hull and Keith Tkachuk were never overweight and out of shape then?

What about a fair share of offensive and defensive linemen being overweight and out of shape?

I guess Scots must dislike golf. Sergio Garcia must not be a Spaniard all of a sudden even though he plays golf. Ernie Els, and a handful of other South Africans? Nah, they are just "pretending" to play the sport.

I guess all the other major sports networks or Internet sites such as CBS.sportsline.com, Foxsports.com, SI.com, and even our beloved TSN.ca must be "pretending" to cover golf and have it among their major links to access SPORTS information then? It is a sport no matter how much you might not like it or understand the sport.

Most out of shape, average joes aren't going to suit up and play football, but they will play golf.

And I never said it was an American sport only. I don't know where you got that from. I just said American networks mostly get good ratings only when Tiger Woods plays.

And many of those same "sporting" channels you just mentioned cover poker also. Is that a sport?

Most out of shape, average joes aren't going to suit up and play football, but they will play golf.

And I never said it was an American sport only. I don't know where you got that from. I just said American networks mostly get good ratings only when Tiger Woods plays.

And many of those same "sporting" channels you just mentioned cover poker also. Is that a sport?

Kinda a spectator sport, but these networks also cover such things as Spelling Bees and dog contests and the like. That still doesn't change the fact that golf is still a sport, and you firstly said that it wasn't a sport at all.

You know it's sad because the Wings more than likely won't win this and they TRULY do deserve it. Look at the season and playoffs they had and how absolutely dominant they were. The stats and awards speak for itself. ESPN should get it right for once.

You know it's sad because the Wings more than likely won't win this and they TRULY do deserve it. Look at the season and playoffs they had and how absolutely dominant they were. The stats and awards speak for itself. ESPN should get it right for once.

While stats are definitely true, they were expected to win/a top seed by plenty of people, nobody gave the New York Giants a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Super Bowl, as already stated. They had to win every playoff game on the road, and win a Super Bowl against an undefeated team, and with an inconsistent offense at best. They defined all odds and won it all. You have to give it to the Giants.

espn hates hockey because hockey is not an American sport.

It will be probably be the Giants because they're from New York.

ESPN doesn't HATE hockey, rofl. They tend to pander to sports the majority like. (go figure, how crazy of them)

That being said how hard is it to register? Just do it and vote for the damn Wings already. They won the cup, it's the least you can do eh?