• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rage

Wings Offer Mats Sundin 1yr $7/Mill Deal

Rate this topic

Mlive Article ~12.05am July 2nd.

They still are in the market for a forward, but it likely will be a lower-priced player on a short-term contract. They made a pitch for Mats Sundin, offering the 37-year-old Swedish center a one-year deal for $7 million.

But it was far less than Vancouver's surprising offer of a two-year deal worth $20 million. Sundin remains unsigned, still uncommitted to even playing next season.

<a name="more">The Red Wings also inquired about right wing Marian Hossa but, as expected, his asking price was too high.

With virtually all of their key players signed and plenty of depth in the organization, the Red Wings were not under any pressure to make a big move. But they still took care of some important business, signing Stuart, their No. 4 defenseman, to a four-year contract worth $3.75 million a season, and inking Conklin to a one-year deal for $750,000.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

God i know there unlikely but im still holding out hope for a hossa or sundin deal. That would totally make my otherwise boring and misreable week

There's nothing to lose by sending him an offer. Who knows, maybe he'll take the Cup over his ego/paycheck and go for it. Even with the insane offer thrown at him, I still feel like Sundin would take Detroit over friggin' Vancouver...

I think Bertuzzi is probably the most likely to be come here out of the 3.

Anyone remember that song on Sesame Street like 20-25 years ago?

"One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong!"

Guest mindfly

I think wings have slightly over 50% chance of getting Sundin...wow, that guy has gotta make alot of descisions in the upcoming days... mats, for the sake of god, sign for wings and you'll never regret it!!!

Yes, but playing two more years and making another 20 million dollars. Sheesh, thats something to sleep on alright.

I think Mark Messier got quite a big contract and the promise of a front office spot when he went to Vancouver. As I remember it, it didn't go too well. Hopefully Sundin takes that into consideration.

I can't picture Sundin in a Wings uniform. Can't see him here and I hope it doesn't happen. Thank-you crazy canucks. Add a mid-level forward and we should re-sign Val against offer sheets. He'll get some after playing so well in the SCF. People remember highlight reel goals in the finals.

God i know there unlikely but im still holding out hope for a hossa or sundin deal. That would totally make my otherwise boring and misreable week

Sorry you're having a poopy week, dude. But I'm holding out hope that he might still come to

Detroit because of what I've read about him. ...That he's a thoughtful, patient, reasoning type. SO. He knows his age. He knows what's lacking in his sterling career. Yeah, he could sign with Vancouver for all that loot, but I'm hoping that's not what he really wants. What's the one thing he's missed ? Can he get that in Vancouver? I don't THINK so, not even in two years. And if he comes to Deetroit and plays well and stays healthy, who's to say he can't re-sign, or still go with another team? Don't give up hope!

I almost wish he goes to Vancouver just for the laughs of watching them not make the playoffs again.

But right now, he is the best fit for the Red Wings right now, given their cap situation. If we are going to play less of Helm, Hudler, Filppula, etc... I want it for someone of Sundin's talent, not Naslund or Bertuzzi.

Vladifan,

you sound like a voice of reason in a mad house.

Mats DOES sound like a reasonable, thoughtful, and patient guy. He HAS to know that even IF the canucks signed him, they would have a hard time making the playoffs let alone seriously contending for a Cup. IF Sundin is really pursuing a Cup at this point in his career, i just have to believe that the Red Wings are on top of the list. We HAVE to be, we're just fresh off a Cup win. Sundin doesn't need any more money.

Sorry you're having a poopy week, dude. But I'm holding out hope that he might still come to

Detroit because of what I've read about him. ...That he's a thoughtful, patient, reasoning type. SO. He knows his age. He knows what's lacking in his sterling career. Yeah, he could sign with Vancouver for all that loot, but I'm hoping that's not what he really wants. What's the one thing he's missed ? Can he get that in Vancouver? I don't THINK so, not even in two years. And if he comes to Deetroit and plays well and stays healthy, who's to say he can't re-sign, or still go with another team? Don't give up hope!

I really don't think money will have anything to do with his decision, having said that I believe the allure to the Nucks stands between the pipes. Never has a guy won so little and been so acclaimed, not saying it is unworthy or unwarrranted, but this guy has not won anything in the post season (not his fault), has put up really good - not great- numbers in the regular season (again not his fault).

You add a guy like Sundin to that team, maybe another top 6 forward and with Luongo in net the thought is that this team should contend.

But like you said Sundin seems to be slow playing his hand and making sure he is aware of all the offers and contemplating which team best serves his goals and wants.

This is his best chance to win the Cup out of the teams being rumored. The Habs might be up there too but was last year a flash in the pan for them? cause they weren't supposed to be #1 in the East. And I question the goaltending because Price is so young. The Canucks will they really be contending? The Wings, Ducks, Sharks and Stars will still be great teams. The Coyotes are improved as are the Oilers, Flames and Hawks. I would love to get him but I'm thinking it's Bert or maybe Shanny.

I think that's a respectable offer for Mats Sundin and if he's interested in coming here and playing to win, he'll take it.

That offer from Vancouver is basicly make more money to play for about the same caliber of team he played for last year. Sundin would have to drag the Canucks to the playoffs on his back, possibly while they're kicking and screaming most of the way so to speak, it all depends on how well they're superstar goalie holds up.

I think we'll see what Sundin is looking for by who he signs with.

On a side note though, if he came to Detroit they'd be a few players shy of really being team Sweden in the eyes of other fans... I imagine we here in Detroit would catch some jabs about it!

I think he's just biding his time, considering all the offers. Like you said, he's a patient man, so I doubt he's made a decision or has turned the Wings down. He's probably in negotiations to get another year added on the contract or get another million added on, and is seeing which team will give him the most balanced deal (i.e. not the Nucks).

IF Sundin is really pursuing a Cup at this point in his career, i just have to believe that the Red Wings are on top of the list. We HAVE to be, we're just fresh off a Cup win. Sundin doesn't need any more money.

I know a Cup should be important but if Vancouver is offering $20mi over 2 vs 7 over 1 its a very tough decision. The guy is going to retire soon and he has his family's security to think about. Thats alot of money!