• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cicada

Marian Hossa a Red Wing, 1yr, $7.45m

Rate this topic

With Hossa signing and about 4 mil left with the cap and filp has to be signed. What is the status of Chelios? Is there anything new there? Or does signing Hossa hinder that?

I'm not sure

Hossa's signing gives less room with Flip, Cheli and others. Cheli is an UFA at the moment, and we won't know his status until after Flip is signed. Chelios and several other lower level d-men are on the bubble.

Everything I've seen and read so far makes me think Hossa *wanted* to be a Red Wing, offer or no. I don't think this signing is only to win a Cup, but to try and make this work out for the rest of his career. How awesome is that? It's quite conceivable that a year from now, Hossa might still turn down bigger offers from elsewhere just to stay with the Wings...

Holy s***. I was just thinking. We already have 4 guaranteed players on this team to be selected for the All Star game. That doesn't even include Ozzie and Rafalski, who could also possibly make it. It could basically be the Eastern Conference vs Red Wings and friends.

Everything I've seen and read so far makes me think Hossa *wanted* to be a Red Wing, offer or no. I don't think this signing is only to win a Cup, but to try and make this work out for the rest of his career. How awesome is that? It's quite conceivable that a year from now, Hossa might still turn down bigger offers from elsewhere just to stay with the Wings...

Completely agree. Holland made references to that as well. I mean who would not want to play for this organization and with these players.? Hossa really exemplified what it means to be a hockey player that wants to win it all. Thought Sundin would bite first, but Hossa's style is a great fit into the Wings system. So looking forward to this next season but curious as to how Babcock is going to play the lines now with Hossa in the mix.

I can't stop smiling over this signing. My Dallas Stars fan friend called last night to tell me that they got Avery. I said, "Congratulations. We got Hossa." :cool:

Wow. The rich just got considerably richer! He wants a Cup, he will work his butt off as a Wing, and he will be worshipped in Detroit. Great move, all around.

It bares repeating again:

Holland deserves credit, Illitches deserve credit, and the Org as a whole deserves credit for setting up this environment, HOWEVER the most credit should go to Marian Hossa!!!

He just did what every average Joe around America complains that athletes never do, he turned down upwards of 30 million dollars to win a cup. Sure Lids and Yzerman did it, however there was never the public bidding war going on for them, they were wings and would remain wings. Hossa had offers that were far and away better than what he got, and the fact that he asked for it, just WOW! My favorite quote (paraphrase) was when Ken Holland told him he would have to call Lids to see if it was ok and Hossa said don't bother, I will take what he makes!!!!!

Unselfish to the utmost!!! Even if he is a one year rental he is displaying that he has all of the intangibles that make him a Detroit Red Wing!!!!!!

Ken Holland is an idiot. He's a total moron. Why in the hell would he want to sign Marian Hossa after the way Hossa has played his entire career?

... oh. Wait. Sorry, I must have been thinking of Marcel Hossa. heh heh.... My bad.

Holland, you are the man. I shall now join the rest of Hockeytown in worshiping you. :notworthy:

Holland deserves credit, Illitches deserve credit, and the Org as a whole deserves credit for setting up this environment, HOWEVER the most credit should go to Marian Hossa!!!

He just did what every average Joe around America complains that athletes never do, he turned down upwards of 30 million dollars to win a cup. Sure Lids and Yzerman did it, however there was never the public bidding war going on for them, they were wings and would remain wings. Hossa had offers that were far and away better than what he got, and the fact that he asked for it, just WOW! My favorite quote (paraphrase) was when Ken Holland told him he would have to call Lids to see if it was ok and Hossa said don't bother, I will take what he makes!!!!!

Unselfish to the utmost!!! Even if he is a one year rental he is displaying that he has all of the intangibles that make him a Detroit Red Wing!!!!!!

I completely agree. Hossa is going to fit right in and be a huge asset to an already stellar team.

When I said "the rich get richer," I wasn't referring to salary. I think the Red Wings set the trend in place in 2001 when players took less in order to build a Cup winning team with off season acquisitions. Certainly since then, other players have made it clear that they don't come to Detroit for the money -- they come here to win it all.

This club is all about the team. That's the element which makes them so successful. No one player is the key; each player is important in his own way. Take out any one of them, and you might see a momentary lapse in performance, but then another player will step up and they're right back on track. Put them all together and it's often a work of art. They are unselfish, and I don't mean just in terms of salary.

Other teams' fans are jealous. Rightly so! We are blessed -- or spoiled, depends on your perspective. ;) I hope to see Hossa remain a Wing for more than one year.

All I know is that I woke up this morning thinking that I had dreamt the Red Wings signed Hossa. And when I realized it wasn't a dream I did the Happy Dance! :banana:

DAMN is it GREAT to be Red Wings fan or what? :hockeysmile:

Guest mindfly
any news on a presser?

Kenny aready made a presser, check official wings website.

He just did what every average Joe around America complains that athletes never do, he turned down upwards of $73.6 million 30 million dollars to win a cup. Sure Lids and Yzerman did it, however there was never the public bidding war going on for them, they were wings and would remain wings. Hossa had offers that were far and away better than what he got, and the fact that he asked for it, just WOW! My favorite quote (paraphrase) was when Ken Holland told him he would have to call Lids to see if it was ok and Hossa said don't bother, I will take what he makes!!!!!

Fixed it for you. He was reported to have been offered 9 years/$81 million.

Edit: That being said, I couldn't agree more with you and I continue to state it in other threads.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25