• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedFX

Detroit-Chicago

Rate this topic

Im sure I wasnt the only one who was very intrigued with Chicago's signings yesterday. Picked up arguably the best D-Man on the market and one of the NHL's bright young goalies. They made good strides towards the end of last year and with all the bright young talent on that team, these guys can make some noise down the road.

Now Detroit has had a pretty decent offseason to this point (*cough*), and our Cup-winning team is built to last for a long time. So the question here is, could we see a Renassaince of the Wings-Hawks rivalry in the next few years?

Im sure I wasnt the only one who was very intrigued with Chicago's signings yesterday. Picked up arguably the best D-Man on the market and one of the NHL's bright young goalies. They made good strides towards the end of last year and with all the bright young talent on that team, these guys can make some noise down the road.

Now Detroit has had a pretty decent offseason to this point (*cough*), and our Cup-winning team is built to last for a long time. So the question here is, could we see a Renassaince of the Wings-Hawks rivalry in the next few years?

To quote Red Auberbach, It is only a rivalry if both teams win once and a while! He was specifically referring to the post season, but his point is true here as well, if the hawks don't beat the wings in the post season it is a one way rivalry. That was what made Col - Det such a heated Rivalry, each year whomever won that series pretty much won the cup unless NJ got in the way!!!

Huet is not a "bright, young" goalie, he will be 33 by the start of the season, however, i am happy to see that chicago is improving, and i am looking forward to our resurging rivalry with them.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Rilvary?

how can you develop a rivalry when one team is going to play rough and one team is going to skate scared?

No they haven't taken us in the playoffs in a while, but I was starting to dread the Hawks with the success they had against us in the regular season. And when they made their late run, I was also dreading the idea of drawing them in the first round.

Chicago definitely has gotten back to respectability with their mix of youth and vets. And having Lang and Williams there tends to make me feel that much worse if we lose to them. And there's Original Six history behind these teams. I think it won't take a whole lot more for this rivalry to be rekindled next year.

Huet is not a huge improvement, IMO. We will have to wait and see how he pans out. There defense will be improved and they have a couple really good young d men maturing in Seabrook, Barker, and Duncan Keith. With Toews and Kane up front, they will be pretty good in a couple of years.

I wonder tough, who they will buy out or trade to get back under the cap. As of right now, they are 2 million bucks over. Trading Brent Sopel as 2.5 a year would remedy that.

jesus... what are you talking about?

Chicago has first to ice a team. not a bunch of signed stars

but a team with developed chemistry and some clear identity.

at this moment there's none and recent Blackhawks history

shows that whomever they sign they still manage to sack the

season and fall away from playoff spot.

they play us hard every time and seem to be on top of their

game against the Wings. good. with more talent now they

will be tougher to beat and Wings may have to put more

effort into some games. but it's a very long road before this

will even be called a competition. and rivalry...? for chist's

sake... you need two quality teams with colliding goals to have

a rivalry. Hawks goal now is to rise from the league cellar.

we want to repeat as cup champs. and that would be a major

difference in my book

let's leave it and come back to this subjects once Blackhawks

start showing some good strides in right direction. signing

players is just the beginning and is by far not the most

important thing here

Edited by akustyk

Zetterberg > Kane

Datsyuk > Toews

Hossa > Havlat

Lidstrom > Campbell

Osgood > Huet

Nope, no rivalry. No one matches us, sorry!

jesus... what are you talking about?

Chicago has first to ice a team. not a bunch of signed stars

but a team with developed chemistry and some clear identity.

at this moment there's none and recent Blackhawks history

shows that whomever they sign they still manage to sack the

season and fall away from playoff spot.

they play us hard every time and seem to be on top of their

game against the Wings. good. with more talent now they

will be tougher to beat and Wings may have to put more

effort into some games. but it's a very long road before this

will even be called a competition. and rivalry...? for chist's

sake... you need two quality teams with colliding goals to have

a rivalry. Hawks goal now is to rise from the league cellar.

we want to repeat as cup champs. and that would be a major

difference in my book

let's leave it and come back to this subjects once Blackhawks

start showing some good strides in right direction. signing

players is just the beginning and is by far not the most

important thing here

Wow, there is no need to get angry here. Chicago is making strides. They had a run at the playoffs last year. Thier two best players are 19 and 20 years old and they just signed the best UFA D-man out there. This is a playoff team now, or at least they should be.

Wow, there is no need to get angry here. Chicago is making strides. They had a run at the playoffs last year. Thier two best players are 19 and 20 years old and they just signed the best UFA D-man out there. This is a playoff team now, or at least they should be.

I'm not angry. I just get amazed year after year how people call

some teams legit contenders just because they signed some big name

players. only to later see the teams collapse and fall far from playoff

spot. and Chicago in particular has excelled in this category for

a number of years already - even more than infamous for this Maple

Leafs. I'm really far from believing this year is going to be any

different.

I believe in teams built around core players by adding components.

like Wings, Penguins, Predators or Ducks. not in teams which do big

splash at free agency and then collapse in regular season.

I might be wrong but there's plenty of historical precedents which

justify such cautious approach. and most certainly against Hawks.

Rilvary?

how can you develop a rivalry when one team is going to play rough and one team is going to skate scared?

So, is it your contention that the Wings skated scared when they played the Hawks this past season?

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I think he is refering to next season, when we may be Mac, Downey and Drakeless.

I absolutely doubt that will be the case. Holland has already said he'll offer DMac a contract, and now that Hossa got the majority of the cap space I can see them re-signing Downey to a contract similar to the one they'll offer DMac. A nice low, two-way contract would be phenomenal for those two.

How many years in a row has this topic always seemed to appear?

probably every year. But it's just because everyone wants the Chi-Det type rivalry of the past

I'm hoping they're going to be a lot better, makes things more challenging and exciting to watch

On the other hand, this isn't going to be the year they all of a sudden are bigger contenders than

Dallas or even Nashville (they were our toughest opponents in the playoffs, imo)

I would love to see Detroit/Chicago become a rivalry again, but I think it may be a few years out still. They will not be able to pick up any big players next year at the deadline and I feel that will be the end of their run, but if they can use Campbell, Towes, and Kane as a core group, they could be a team to become worried about in the years to come!!

Guest Dump-N-Thump
I absolutely doubt that will be the case. Holland has already said he'll offer DMac a contract, and now that Hossa got the majority of the cap space I can see them re-signing Downey to a contract similar to the one they'll offer DMac. A nice low, two-way contract would be phenomenal for those two.

Zetta, Datsyuk, Homer

Hossa, Flipper, Franzen

Cleary, Draper, Sammy

Maltby, Kopecky, Hudler.

*Mac*

The way that roster looks like. We wont see much of Mac or Downey in the first place.. And thats if they dont pick up a Drake replacement still.. so yah, Thats why i think we'll be Mac/Downey less..

Zetta, Datsyuk, Homer

Hossa, Flipper, Franzen

Cleary, Draper, Sammy

Maltby, Kopecky, Hudler.

*Mac*

The way that roster looks like. We wont see much of Mac or Downey in the first place.. And thats if they dont pick up a Drake replacement still.. so yah, Thats why i think we'll be Mac/Downey less..

Kenny will bring in one or both. He's already stated that it is a priority this offseason to bring in a player like that to keep things under control. Besides, it's not as though every player on the Wings roster will play every single game this season. Bumps and bruises do happen.