Wings current rank

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

In my opinion it's like

Forwards 1st

Defensemen tied 1st with ducks

Goaltending ~15-20th

Overall 1st

That's pretty realistic don't you think?

Edited by mindfly

I said it last year I will say it this offseason the Ducks D is overrated!!!!!

Detroit

D=1

O=1* I say #1 but wouldn't argue as low as 3-4

Goaltending top 10 remember a lot of goaltending stats are team based stats, wins, GAA, the only one that really isn't is SV%

i agree with the forwards and defence being number 1 there arn't meany team's out there with as much strentgh in depth as us or have the prospects we have , Kenny has most definetly built a team for the present and the future. . but goaltending at 15 to 20th? Ozzie was unlucky not to have one the Conn Smyth , ended the Playoffs and the regular season top or near the top in goaltending stats and was Western Allstar starting goalie . the guy was awsome for us this season and is vastly underated. as for going into next season we have two reliable back ups in Conklin and Howard so between the three of them we are looking pretty damn good IMO.

O - 1

D - 1

G - 5-10 range if not better. Osgood's always been overrated and he's playing better than ever and with swagger. I think he'll top this year next season as the clear starter and an even better team in front of him.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
In my opinion it's like

Forwards 1st

Defensemen tied 1st with ducks

Goaltending ~15-20th

Overall 1st

That's pretty realistic don't you think?

Taken as a whole I rank it all #1

Offense was the best was it not? Or near the top? Now it adds Hossa and loses no major components? Even without regarding the offense from the blueline, just looking at the forwards its #1.

Cleary, Sammy, Franzen, Flip, all guys playing 2nd or even 3rd line roles that can bag 20 goals. Plus Hudler.

Defense has to be #1. As a whole the team is the best and just as a unit it is still the best. Nobody boasts a better top 4 than Lidstrom, Rafs, Kronner and Stuart. When Chelios, Lilja, Lebda is your weakest link that ain't too shabby.

Goal, if the rest of the team were not a factor, just Ozzie and Conklin, i'd put them in the 5-10 range.

But given the awesomeness of the team in front of them, the great D, the great O, the great 2 way game, the great system and backchecking, it's #1 when viewed as a whole.

O - 1

D - 1

G - 5-10 range if not better. Osgood's always been overrated and he's playing better than ever and with swagger. I think he'll top this year next season as the clear starter and an even better team in front of him.

If there's one thing I do know about Osgood, its that he's NEVER been overrated. He's still gets zero credit from all sorts of media.

Forwards

1. Detroit

2. Tampa Bay

3. Ottawa

4. Chicago (Pending on Havlat's season)

5. Pittsburgh

Defense

1. Detroit

2. Anaheim

3. Calgary

4. Montreal

5. Chicago (Campbell + strong youth)

Goaltending

1. Vancouver

2. New Jersey

3. San Jose

4. NY Rangers

5. Detroit

Forwards

1. Detroit

2. Tampa Bay

3. Ottawa

5. Pittsburgh

Defense

1. Detroit

2. Anaheim

3. Calgary

4. Montreal

Goaltending

1. Vancouver

2. New Jersey

3. San Jose

4. NY Rangers

5. Detroit

I tend to agree with most of your rankings except for Chicago at #5 for D. Sure they signed Campbell but IMO, he's not that great of a defensive defensemen.

A Stanley Cup Champion has improved (at least on paper) without any other team really making enough improvement to match it. You still have to favor Detroit.

Now, you still have to go out and win the games and you still have to avoid injuries, but it's advantage Detroit right now.

There's really no point in making lists, if only to briefly entertain onlookers with the pretty numbers.

The Redwings have an excellent group of forwards both offensively and defensively, they have an excellent defensive corps, and they've got steady, reliable goaltending that doesn't put Detroit in bad spots in key situations.

Forwards

1. Detroit

2. Tampa Bay

3. Ottawa

5. Pittsburgh

Defense

1. Detroit

2. Anaheim

3. Calgary

4. Montreal

Goaltending

1. Vancouver

2. New Jersey

3. San Jose

4. NY Rangers

5. Detroit

There's no way you could realistically consider Detroit's goaltending number 5. Just based on starting goaltenders alone we can't compete. That's not to mention we have 2 relatively unproven backups. Take Starters. You think Osgood is consistently better than the following: Leclaire, Fleury, Backstrom, Gerber, Vokoun, Kipursoff, Miller, Giguere, Ward, Dipietro, Thomas.

I would trade Osgood straight up for any of those goalies (the list doesn't include the goalies on the teams ranked 1-4 for you).

If there's one thing I do know about Osgood, its that he's NEVER been overrated. He's still gets zero credit from all sorts of media.

I'm not positive but I think he meant underrated. ;)

Brainfart! Yes, I definitely meant underrated. My bad...

...and I forgot overall, definitely #1. No argument at all. I feel as if the better teams have gotten worse. I don't want to get all cocky, but I feel like a lot's going to have to happen for the Wings not to be the favorites all the way up to victory #4 in the '08/'09 Cup Finals. Trades happen and teams come out of nowhere, but I think Detroit's going to be pretty unstoppable this year. I feel like we could lose any one of our superstars (even Lidstrom) to injury for the season and still compete with anyone.

And to be objective, I don't think it will be so easy after next year even if we keep Hossa. Other teams will get better and we'll trail off in some way, shape or form. We'll compete, but next year, man, a repeat is looking pretty reasonable.

Well, I think even objectively the Wings' defense is second to none. Anaheim is close, but I think our depth helps us in the long run.

Offense after signing Hossa? We have 4 of the top what, 6 point getters in the playoffs last year now? Our first and second lines are both capable first lines. What would be more amazing is if we keep Hossa long-term next season.

I'm still in shock. There's no team in the league with an offense even close to what the Wings have now. Objectively. There are great teams out there, to be sure, but man...I really don't see many hanging with us. We've only improved since last season.

And we still have cap space for 1 year, don't we? So we can still sign another role player if needed.

You could make the argument for wings goaltending to be anywhere from 1 to 20. Reasons being, what criteria do you base it on. Common ones are: names, the ability to steal games, and clutch saves. Osgood and Conklin arent exactly associated wit elite goaltending, and the wings dont call on their goalies to steal games as much as say vancouver or new jersey. But one thing no one can argue with is Chris Osgood made ALMOST EVERY big save he needed to make. I can recall game 5 vs. nashville. granted it was a tough shot, but a luongo or nabakov could make that save. Same goes for game 5 OT vs. pittsburg. And the goal in game 5 vs. pittsburg to send it to overtime was a save he needed to make.

As far as goaltenders go, Id rank detroit between 8 and 12.

As far as team defense #1

as far as team offense #1 (i think hossa can make up the 5 goals montreal had on us)

Overal i say team defense brings down goals against significantly and it makes up for our lack of an elite status goaltender. That, plus Ozzie is a beast when called upon. Therefore, I say the wings are the team to beat this year.

There is no better team, on paper.

And there will be no better team on ice. Bank on it.

The D will be pretty much exactly the same. The forward corps. will also be pretty much the same with an additional two-way goal-scoring machine.

Ozzie in net, with Conklin pushing Howard.

It's a good time to be a Wings fan. :thumbup:

There's no way you could realistically consider Detroit's goaltending number 5. Just based on starting goaltenders alone we can't compete. That's not to mention we have 2 relatively unproven backups. Take Starters. You think Osgood is consistently better than the following: Leclaire, Fleury, Backstrom, Gerber, Vokoun, Kipursoff, Miller, Giguere, Ward, Dipietro, Thomas.

I would trade Osgood straight up for any of those goalies (the list doesn't include the goalies on the teams ranked 1-4 for you).

From October 2007 to June 2008, only Martin Brodeur was better than Chris Osgood.

Ozzie was 11th in Vezina voting playing only half a season. With "starter time" he is top five without a doubt. And then he was the top goaltender in the postseason; which has typically been make or break for elite level tenders.

Roberto Luongo, btw, has yet to prove he can be a clutch netminder or is the kind of guy who will find a way to make his team win, something Ozzie has done his entire career. Luongo is a very talented goaltender. Ozzie is a great goaltender.

EDIT:

Forwards: Detroit has three of the ten best forwards in the league. Detroit has nine forwards who could be considered 'top-six' forwards, all of whom are capable defensively and several who are top-notch defensive forwards. Best forward unit in the league.

Defensemen: Detroit has three of the top ten defensemen in the world. All three are very capable at both ends of the ice. Brad Stuart would be a top-pairing defenseman on a lot of teams, and would play on the first unit for both PP and PK in many places. He's #4 in Detroit. Best defense unit in the league, EASILY.

Goaltending: Chris Osgood is one of the five best goaltenders in the league, and plays his best in the clutch. Ty Conklin is as good a backup as you will find in the NHL; and he will have to compete with top prospect Jimmy Howard for the job. Top-three goaltending tandem.

And furthermore...the Wings have EASILY the best GM in the league, so it's not like any holes will fail to be addressed.

Edited by eva unit zero

I can recall game 5 vs. nashville. granted it was a tough shot, but a luongo or nabakov could make that save.

I would disagree with you wholeheartedly...Game 5 vs Nashville was won only because Ozzie stole the game. The goal at the end was of the 'unstoppable' variety.

And given the fact that Osgood had SIGNIFICANTLY superior numbers to Nabokov, I don't see how you can claim 'Nabokov would have made the save' when statistics suggest he makes the save less often than Osgood. Nabokov played more than 70 games this year, yes. That alone doesn't make him great. He was very good, but not great.