• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Now we need grinders, character guys

Rate this topic

holland was already blatantly quoted as saying the team WILL be carrying an enforcer this year to protect our guys. there is a difference between grit and enforcing. we've already got tons of "gritty" guys on the team like draper, maltby, lilja, stuart, and possibly kopecky (see how he shapes up), not to mention one could also argue the grit of our superstars Z, Pav, and now hossa, who all are not afraid to throw their bodies around and fight for pucks in the corners. grittiness is not the question here, it's for when a low character guy goes after one of our guys when the games is out of hand, who is going to stop him? None of those gritty players are intimidating and their presence certainly would not detract an agitator from taking a cheap shot. The closest thing we've got to someone who will "strike fear into their hearts" is mac or downey, mark my words one or both will be signed to a contract...

Indeed. Clean hit by Laperriere. And we failed miserably by not knocking one of their stars out, I tell ya!

If they would have feared retaliation they wouldn't have done it. "I tell ya"

Kopeckey isn't gritty by any means....he'll be lucky to come back from that knee injury

Edited by The Enforcer

It is absolutely essential, but for the first time in years, I think they're going to actually make sure it happens. The last two seasons were eye openers for the front office. They've learned their lesson, I think.

It is absolutely essential, but for the first time in years, I think they're going to actually make sure it happens. The last two seasons were eye openers for the front office. They've learned their lesson, I think.

Agreed

I think that both should be resigned, but I am afriaid that there might not be enough cap space to have both Downey and McCarty. If only one can be I would say sign Downey because at this point in their careers he is a much better enforcer than McCarty.

Eye openers in what sense? I agree that the Wings will carry some sort of enforcer whether it's Downey or McCarty, but outside of the Lidstrom thing which was clean I seriously can't think of any other instance where teams have 'run' our best players. For instance, Zetterberg getting hurt was a hockey play. Franzen's injuries were hockey plays. The role of an enforcer is definitely something good to have in the regular season but most of the times people get all bent out of shape for the Wings not 'sticking up' for each other its an overreaction.

Besides, Babcock isn't the type of coach who'll put McCarty or Downey in for the fear of something happening. Babcock is going to ice the best team possible every night. Obviously McCarty, Downey or someone else will get games in just on a rotation basis but I highly doubt when we play the Ducks or Phoenix it'll be a conscious decision to dress Downey to fight McGrattan or Fedoruk.

Edited by Heaton

But yes, we do need some grit players. I think that's part of why we won this year, we had a gritty team.

And who did we lose from last year? Dallas Drake? Kopecky fills in just fine.

We still have all the grit from last year and then some.

I'll take Drake over Kopecky. But maybe Kopey will surprise me. I hope he does.

Kopecky was leading all forwards in hits before he blew out his knee.

I hope we can keep both McCarty and Downey, but don't know how we'll be able to do it under the cap and even with roster spots......I have faith that Holland will do what is necessary he's proven that we should give him the benefit of the doubt and then some...

I know that some don't think they played an important role, but I thought it was nice having Downey around during the regular season to step up when needed....sure they didn't get much playing time in the playoffs, but I think winning the president's trophy helped out...

Is there any way we can keep Downey on as a consultant? Didn't Holland ask one of the younger guys (Quincey?) to work on their fighting and learn from Downey??

Kopecky was leading all forwards in hits before he blew out his knee.

And how many times did Kopecky fall on his ass after he threw a hit? He probably led the team in that as well. He cant replace Dallas Drake, he isnt gritty.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Drake came into this league ready and willing to bump heads.

I like Kopecky, But there is no way in heck he can do half of what Drake did last year.. Drake was a heavy hitter, a great PK man and a leader.. Kopecky is to slow to do the PK and his injury really set him back.

Just because you lead the team in hits, Doesn't mean your feared physically.. Drake was.. Because when Drake hits you.. He hits for effect.. same with Kronner.

Who knows maybe Kopecky will surprise us because he knows this is his last horray?

My two cents:

I know Aaron Downey personally (please don't take this as me bragging or being a "name dropper" at all), and I will say this; he loves playing for the Wings (most importantly, loves the guys on the team and management), loves playing in Detroit (hockey crazy city with knowledgable/very respectful fans), and loves the small community that he lived in-Troy) and WANTS to stay with the Wings.

I'll say this though, after playing so many years in the NHL, it would be hard for him to be sent down Grand Rapids when he could potentially be playing with another team and have a permenant roster spot. Trust me on this with Aaron....it's not about the money.

My two cents:

I know Aaron Downey personally (please don't take this as me bragging or being a "name dropper" at all), and I will say this; he loves playing for the Wings (most importantly, loves the guys on the team and management), loves playing in Detroit (hockey crazy city with knowledgable/very respectful fans), and loves the small community that he lived in-Troy) and WANTS to stay with the Wings.

I'll say this though, after playing so many years in the NHL, it would be hard for him to be sent down Grand Rapids when he could potentially be playing with another team and have a permenant roster spot. Trust me on this with Aaron....it's not about the money.

Nice post. I'm hoping we keep Aaron around and in the line-up when needed next year. He brought a presence that the Wings have lacked in the past couple of seasons and I truly believe he had an indirect impact on the team's success. A lot of people on these boards will spew the "He didn't play in the playoffs so he's worthless" nonsense, but people have to understand it's a long regular season and in team sports, especially in hockey there are behind the scenes "team guys" that contribute to the winning as well.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
My two cents:

:thumbup:

Great Post.. Honestly if i were a GM, i would snap Aaron up in a minute.. Just after hearing the way Modano was adamant that Downey stayed in Dallas.. That shows how much Downey is loved everywhere he goes.

Aaron last year i think proved to the rest of the league he is a great enforcer and he does his job and he does it damned well.. He's aware of when to fight and when not to fight, Puts Detroit in a situation where they can rely on aaron to go on the ice and know he wont take a stupid penalty..

my man love for aaron runs deep :thumbup:

With all due respect to the thread-starter,

We got Stuart and Hossa. This team doesn't need s*** right now.

boom .. Mac isnt going to accept the two way contract and I think hell sign somewhere for some much needed loot .. Downey will be in the press box half the season ... Were bursting at the seams with "grinders" .. the entire griffens squad is labeled future 3rd or 4th line grinders and s*** we got Homer Lids Raffi Drapes Maltby Chelios Ozgood to "glue" the locker room together ...

After Flip gets signed we have 12 forwards under contract. I don't know if Holland would want to carry both Downey and Mac, especially considering there is also Helm who is ready for time. If we stay relatively healthy these guys are barely going to see any time at all. I think Holland will just get on Mac's ass to hit the weight room and work on his fighting hoping that he will be all the enforcer we need.