• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Holland: Wings will wait until Sept. for D trade

Rate this topic

Holland is being interviewed on WDFN right now and the blueline logjam was brought up... The Wings won't make a move until camp time, and anyone (obviously) out of the top four will be available. He doesn't expect to have any problems dealing any of those players due to the low salaries ($1.25m and below).

He also added he expects Drake to retire, and if not, it sounded like the Wings have moved on regardless...

On Zetterberg: Doesn't anticipate talking contract until training camp when he can sit down with both Hank and his agent.

I'm uncomfortable with all this "log-jam" speak. I love that our young guys have great potential but I'm not sure if they're ready yet. And Lebda and Lilja seem to each be half a player. Together they're great, but I'm not sure I can pick one over the other, they each bring something to the table.

I dont think they'll trade Lilja now, but I could see a Lebda/Meech package being offered to teams. Fast, smallerish d-man with offensive upside, will only cost 1.2 or 1.3 mil combined. I imagine they'd only move for draft picks.

As long as Lebda goes for someone more physical, I'll be happy.

If he "goes" he's just going to "go" -- likely a draft pick in return, since the Wings would be looking for roster space.

If he "goes" he's just going to "go" -- likely a draft pick in return, since the Wings would be looking for roster space.

Yeah, I'd take a draft pick for Lebda. Meech, like some have said, is similar to Lebda in style of play, but with more potential. So we keep Meech, unload Lebda. We don't have room for a straight-up trade, or else the trade wouldn't be happening in the first place.

So unless we trade two D for one player, it'll be for draft picks.

I dont think they'll trade Lilja now, but I could see a Lebda/Meech package being offered to teams. Fast, smallerish d-man with offensive upside, will only cost 1.2 or 1.3 mil combined. I imagine they'd only move for draft picks.

They wouldn't have traded him anyway.

Again, he was signed a couple days ago and the last thing you do is sign and trade.

I'm uncomfortable with all this "log-jam" speak. I love that our young guys have great potential but I'm not sure if they're ready yet. And Lebda and Lilja seem to each be half a player. Together they're great, but I'm not sure I can pick one over the other, they each bring something to the table.

That's why they are 3rd pairing D-men ;)

Whoever loses out in camp, I doubt we'll get very much for them when the rest of the league knows the predicament we are in. Think Burke trying to trade Bryzgalov or dump Fedorov.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

i dont mind getting draft picks..

Ledba,Lilja,Meech,Quincey,Big Rig,Chelios.

If we can turn anyone of those guys into 4th or 5th round draft picks, i wouldn't mind turning a Lebda into a Zetterberg :P Should be a fun Training camp alot of competition.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
I've asked this a few times before...How exactly does Meech have 'more potential' than Lebda when it's Lebda that's playing in Detroit?

Maybe I'm missing something others must see :unsure:

Lebda has been a wing for awhile now, But hasn't been anything more then number 5/6 and hes had the opportunity to be number 4 and he failed.. Which tells me he is nothing more then a career 5/6 d-man

Meech on the other hand, Beat out Lebda for PP time when all the d-men went down injured. Meech has shown the willingness to get dirty, and also a knack for finding a good shotting lane and making the reliable pass.. Meech shown me atleast a better shot selection then what Lebda has..

We haven't had the opportunity to see Meech, and he has'nt been given the opportunity to become a better player, which leads many people to assume has more potential :D

As long as Lebda goes for someone more physical, I'll be happy.

How can anyone be unhappy with any aspect of this team. Greed unbound.

I've asked this a few times before...How exactly does Meech have 'more potential' than Lebda when it's Lebda that's playing in Detroit?

Maybe I'm missing something others must see :unsure:

You are missing something, Lebda has wheels for sure. Beyond that he is pretty standard.

I personally think Lebda moves faster when moving up the ice then moving back.

Meech makes a better pass, has better on ice awareness in the offensive zone, his foot work laterally is better, has better hands, and a better shot.

I will say that right now Lebda has better poise and defensive positioning, if he was only more patient.

Yea because everybody knows D-men have to be physical to be any good. Just ask the people that vote for the Norris every year....

Physical bottom defenceman>Skillful bottom defenceman.

I see trading Lebda as a great idea, not that I want him gone, just then you have Meech, Quincey and Chelios to sub in and out depending on the opponent. If were playing say the Habs, you probably want Meech or Chelios in there, if were playing the Lightning, you probably want Chelios in there, if were playing Anaheim, your gonna want Quincey in there. It's never a bad thing to have too many defenceman though.

People write Lebda off so easily. The Wings have put years of work into this guy. He knows the NHL game. He played with Chelios. He's a great character guy. He said "f***" on live television.

But Meech might turn into something better. Hmm. I like Lebda for now.