• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Leino?

Rate this topic

Yeah, Leino is not going to just waltz into town and jump into the big team roster. That's not how things work around here. If he impresses enough and we have a spot for him to fill, he'll probably log 4th line minutes and earn more time through doing that. But I would bet on him playing most of the season in GR and signing something more prominent next season when we have more room for him.

You must earn your keep here, doesn't matter what you did in Europe, you need to prove it at the North American level.

His contract is basically a 1 year tryout. If he impresses at the AHL level, then I would say he gets a shot for the 2009/2010 season. We won't see him here this season. The team is too deep. I don't even think there is room for Helm either, unless we got rid of either Sammy or Hudler. No way we lose Kopecky or Maltby because we need grit.

He wont play in G.R. this year - if he doesn't make the team he'll go back to Finland. If he impresses the coaching staff they will probably try to hold on to his rights for another 2 years.

Edited by Glubki

His contract is basically a 1 year tryout. If he impresses at the AHL level, then I would say he gets a shot for the 2009/2010 season. We won't see him here this season. The team is too deep. I don't even think there is room for Helm either, unless we got rid of either Sammy or Hudler. No way we lose Kopecky or Maltby because we need grit.

^ This man knows.

I read on another forum that his contract is specifically NHL or back to Finland for the year. He's an MVP there and doesn't want to spend any time playing in a second-tier league here. If that's true, he'll either make the Wings or go back to Finland.

I don't think so, what would that say about the organization? Leino could have signed with any team he wanted.

I think we will see some preseason trades for prospects and/or picks. We will likely move a forward and a D-man in order to provide playing time for some of the younger players/prospects. This makes imminent sense from a cap viewpoint.

I actually like Helm over both those guys (Maltby and Kopecky).

Maltby is great because of his leadership and experience, but Helm has wheels and some nice hands for a checking centre.

And with Hossa signing I wonder where McCarty fits in. He was already bumped from the SC finals by Helm so I don't see him cracking this lineup either.

If he signs, it'll have to be a two-way contract.

Like others have already said Ville Leino will have ONLY 2 scenarios play out. 1) He will play for the Red Wings and NOT play for GR as KH had promised him or 2) He will be back in Finland if he doesn't make the Red Wing's squad.