• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sjradio

Wow, Pittsburghers are really ticked

Rate this topic

I spent some time browsing the Pens boards yesterday. While there were people that "understood" the revolving door that's been getting a lot of use at Mellon at late, there was also a heck of a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth!!!

i don't know, i can pretty easily understand why they're pissed ... they gave up quite a bit at the deadline to get hossa, obviously with the hopes of locking him up longterm, and then they trade malone's rights to open up cap space for hossa (and malkin) ... i'm sure at some point before all this they talked to hossa and he gave them the impression that he wanted to stay ... had he left for more $ that pittsburgh couldn't match then that's one thing, but it's pretty clear he came to detroit not for the money but because he'd rather play here ... so he did screw them over a bit ... but hey, i'm not complaining a bit :lol:

I couldn't take it anymore and had to email the writer (his email address is at the bottom of the article right after where he states that maybe Hossa will come back to them in 09). I mentioned about how all the great players in Detroit take less money so that they can stay in Detroit. I said that since they were so unselfish (unlike certain other players who have signed in Pitts) the Wings have money to spend on bringing in other great players who WANT to come to Detroit.

I also made note of his comment that maybe the Pens would knock the Wings off next June and how they weren't good enough this year and how they've been weakened significantly. They've lost some key players but also some role players that will affect them. (i was hoping Orpik wouldn't re-sign).

Man that TV reporter is a real ******. I think he made a great decision if he wants to win a cup. Yeah the west is a tougher division but the wins have four of the last eleven cups and the pens haven't won a cup since 92. I would have done the same thing.

I could point out that if Marian Hossa gets to Mr. Crosby's last-second rebound in Game 6 a split second quicker, or if Marian Hossa shows up at all for Games 1 and 2, that the Stanley Cup might today be in the possession of his employer as of the day before yesterday, but no.

Haha oh man that's got to hurt. If you can't beat us, join us.

I was on a Penguins board yesterday and went into the archives to read what they thought of Hossa when they acquired him. Basically everyone was somewhat upset at how much they gave up for "a guy who's most likely not going to resign at the end of the season". So they all originally felt that they wouldn't get him back yet now he's a traitor. I've always hated Pittsburgh as a sports city and now I hate them more. I'm SOOOOOO glad we got Hossa.

Guest Shoreline

If there's one thing I'm happy about is not only did our team stick it to the Syd-the-kid-stroking media, frustrating the Pens, but the irony is we now left them without one of their top 3 stars, joining a more well-rounded team.

And I'd hate to regurgitate the F-word, but if there's any recent memories I'd like to point to, is this Hossa deal has much the same taste for Pens fans as the Fedorov deal did to many of us Wings half a decade ago. Not just the fan response, but the media response as well.

I imagine if the Wings play any games in Mellon Arena, Hossa will get a similar welcome. :D

Edited by Shoreline

How will we feel about him when he leaves next year?

TBH, I'll feel fine. The guy took a massive paycut, and risked long-term security because he needs to win a Cup. I admire someone that does what he just did, if even only for a year. Sure, I'd love to have him on the Wings long-term, but I'm also realistic.

Mark this quote if you want. If the Wings win the Cup and he moves on, I'll be the first to thank him and wish him the best of luck.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I loved reading that as much as I enjoyed watching red faced ray shero doing a press conference yesterday.

Shero kept saying 'we are doing great' 'losing marian was not a big deal' but each time he said that he was about to burst.

TBH, I'll feel fine. The guy took a massive paycut, and risked long-term security because he needs to win a Cup. I admire someone that does what he just did, if even only for a year. Sure, I'd love to have him on the Wings long-term, but I'm also realistic.

Mark this quote if you want. If the Wings win the Cup and he moves on, I'll be the first to thank him and wish him the best of luck.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Agreed. He signed here for 1 year. He owes us nothing mre than 1 season's worth of hard play, and determination to win a cup next year. He took a large pay cut to come here and took less than our Captain (albeit not much) to show he knows his real place on this team. To me that's showing he's trying to be a team player for us. If he goes somewhere else next year so be it, thanks for coming out. If he were to re-sign, then great.

I disagree. I thought Hossa was their best player on the ice, by far. Fleury had one unbelievable game but he also let in some soft goals that really handcuffed his team. (The Zetterberg goal, for example). Crosby didn't do much to impress me except in game three. Plus, Cindy's defensive skills leave a lot to be desired. Hossa played very well both ways and it got to the point where I was looking to see if he was on the ice instead of whether Crosby or Malkin were on the ice because he scared me.

This has it about right, Hossa was dangerous pretty much every shift he took. I too ended up making him my focal point, with Crosby second. Fleury basically won game 5, but wasn't that great other than that, right up to when he crapped the eventual Cup winner into his net.

I said from the second Pittsburgh got Hossa that it was a good trade if they win the Cup this year, but a bad one if they don't. They didn't win the Cup and now have zilch to show for Army/Christiansen/Esposito.

I really don't get where they thought they'd realistically be able to re-sign him. With the cap as it is right now, you can realistically carry 3 huge-money players (for us, Lidstrom, Hossa, Datsyuk right now, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk next year). 4 probably puts you in Lightning hell. I think they have to be a little pissed that they bailed on Malone as early as they did. If they'd known that Hossa was gone in advance, they probably keep Malone.

And I don't get the bitterness from their side at all. He's not Sergei Fedorov. They didn't smuggle him from behind the iron curtain, he didn't spend over a decade and win 3 Cups and a handful of indiviudal awards there. He was a rent-a-player. His Wings tenure will end up being longer than his Pens one, and should he leave after this season, Cup or not, I'll say "thanks for giving your best shot at it." We know what the rules are, what's on the table. They should have too.

I think that about covers all the subtopics going on here...

I loved reading that as much as I enjoyed watching red faced ray shero doing a press conference yesterday.

Shero kept saying 'we are doing great' 'losing marian was not a big deal' but each time he said that he was about to burst.

Was Therrien crying in the background?

HAHA!! how bitter is gene collier? you expect that kind of childish response from fans on message boards but not from a journalist. does he really believe that the only difference between the wings and the pens was a couple of bounces?!? how can anyone argue that the wings were not the better team in that series and did not deserve to win the cup?

and since that series detroit have locked up their key players whilst malone, roberts, hall and ruutu have all left pittsburgh.

so how can he possibly argue with hossa's view that the wings present a greater shot at the cup than the pens?!? especially when you consider that hossa was the pens best player in that series so if he swaps teams then the difference between the 2 is even greater.

another key factor that mr collier neglects to mention is the 2 coaches - i would say that the vast majority of players would much rather play for babcock than therrien.

collier really is an ignorant, sour and deluded fool.

Rob Rossi is all but blaming Hossa's agent for the signing with the Wings. There has to be a reason that many players didn't want to stay.....Malone could have said NO to Tampa, ditto for the rest. I think IMO that Thierren is a big part of it, the guy is nothing more than a babbling idiot, and I think he's a disciplinarian, but not much of a coach.

How can a city be upset about losing a rental? They gave up the players that they did knowing full well that Hossa was not a long term player. We're signing Hossa as a rental so there are obviously no long term expectations. The article sounds me to more like "sour grapes" than any sort of rational thought.

How will we feel about him when he leaves next year?

Does anyone expect him to stay next year? I don't. The reason Holland only offered him one year is because he knows the Wings probably can't afford him longer than that.

Does anyone expect him to stay next year? I don't. The reason Holland only offered him one year is because he knows the Wings probably can't afford him longer than that.

They could afford him. Look for some of the older Wings to start retiring- Draper probably, McCarty, Cheli, perhaps Maltby. Plenty of room, even if the cap doesn't go up again.

The Hossa situation is very similar to the Cujo signing a few years ago. Both Hossa & Cujo are quoted as saying, "Detroit has the best chance of winning the cup." Both signings resulted in pissed off fans with their previous teams. We all know how the Cujo trial worked, let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice!!!

I love how Bob Pompeani, and other people from Pittsburgh, are stating that Hossa is one injury from losing a lot of money. Well duh, anyone who play profession sports are one injury away from losing a lot of money, even pretty boy Sindy.

I also I have to agree with some earlier on who pointed out who would want to be mentioned as Crosby's Right Winger. And why would someone want to play for Team Crosby, personally if given the choice I would play for the Pens team and not the Crosby team.