• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dantroit

Please Stop Calling The Wings A Lock

Rate this topic

I am truly psyched about the signing of Hossa, and I think it is the perfect thing to keep the Stanley Cup high going...but that in no way makes Detroit a lock to win the Cup. A lot of things can happen between now and next June. Even back in 2002 when the Wings had all of the hall of famers and were dubbed a lock, they fell 0-2 in the 1st round and then got pushed 7 games against Colorado. Did they win? Yes, but it wasn't like they swept their way through, and I think some fans are making it seem like this team is going 98-0. This Red Wings teams seems a lot like the Celtics of last season, everyone crowned them the champs before the season started (at least here in the north east where I am currently living for business). And they got pushed to two separate 7 games series. Did they win? Yes, but was it a cake walk? No.

I know I know, I'm being a downer, and I truly am psyched about Hossa and I do think he really gives the Wings another dimension. And I think they have a GREAT shot at winning the cup, but a lot of things can happen, and I think too many people are crowning them champs too soon.

Okay, now that I have been a buzz kill, Go Wings!

I know how you feel, it can be kind of annoying to see it. Not because I think it will jinx anything, but just because I don't want Wings' fans to be seen as the same arrogant assholes that NY and Boston sports fans can be. That said, these are just words. If you don't like them, don't read them :ph34r:

And who the hell says Wings are lock to win the Stanley Cup in 2008/09?

I've seen a lot of posts stating that if "Player-X" (generally, Sundin) doesn't sign with the Wings, then they don't want to win the Cup. That's essentially the same thing.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Agreed. I think we have a better chance than anyone but realistically its a 30 team leauge and a hot goaltender can even shut down the mightiest of teams. Ask Js Gigure or Kippersoff. both years the wings had the "best team on paper" by far.

With taht being said i am truly excited about this year. The wings were great last year and we are only better as our goaltending depth has improved, we've gotten bigger, stuart will be here the whole year and not injured, adding an allstar winger in Hossa and Flip, Hudler, and Franzen will only continue to get better(though i dont expect Franzen to keep up the pace... 30-35 goals is way more realastic)

I agree 100% with this. It irks me. We aren't a lock for the Cup. I understand the over excitement because we are all on cloud nine with this signing. But at the same time you have to take into consideration that so many things change from now till the regular season, playoffs.. etc. Anything could happen. We got lucky this post season with having close to no injuries, who's to say that will happen again in '09? Let's just all be excited but take it as it is right now.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be humble and tread lightly folks - I do not like to eat crow...

Nothing is guaranteed in this day and age - remember that...

- Remember the saying one has to be good to have luck and one has to have luck to be be good? Think about some of the goals that were scored against the Pens - if those breaks went the other way the Pen's could of won or some other team...

Edited by Rivalred

What a buncha whiners.

If people want to call the Wings a lock, let them. And really, like someone said up above, who's going to stop this team? It's basically the same roster we were watching just a few weeks ago, only, now it boasts Marian Hossa -- you know, the one guy who stood between the Wings and the Cup in the SCF, seeing as how none of his team mates showed up? He could easily become the Wings' most lethal goal-scorer. Think about that for a second.

Bottom line: the team that dominated last season has become much more dangerous. That's why Hossa came here -- he knows this team is the s*** even without him. So, people have the right to say the Wings are a lock, and they're justified in asserting it.

Wasn't everyone claiming the Ducks would repeat after signing Bert and Schnieder last year and returning most of their team?

Only the dumb ones.

The 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens need to look out. We're gunning for them.

And who the hell says Wings are lock to win the Stanley Cup in 2008/09?

being humble is good, but every board I go on and on the TSN "have your say" almost everyone is saying "just hand them the cup and lets start over".

My favorite was "The Wings are gonna set a path of destruction through the west" (that kind of thing come from a lot of Habs fans.

I have to admit, I like reading that, it's a lot better than "the Wings are to soft and have to many euros to be a threat, much less win the cup."

I'm very excited for next season.

I wasn't trying to compare the team we now have to the Ducks last year. I was just saying that a lot of analists were jumping on Ducks bandwagon for another year after they won last year, because they replaced Nied with Schnied, and not much else changed on the that team. People were picking Anahiem to repeat, thats all I'm saying. Let the season play itself out. Who knows maybe we get hit with injury bug like Ottawa did this year (knock on wood)

I am usually not one to say this but why is this even a thread? Why does it matter if people say the Wings are a lock? It does not effect what will happen next year.

If you don't think your team is going to win then why even watch. I go in every season thinking they can do it, if I think they can't then I probably should not watch.

K hows this, the Wings are all but guaranteed to win the cup. What could stop them??? Major injury, goaltending meltdown, or the simply the hockey gods. Other than that the NHL might want to get the spelling of all the names on the Wings roster going into training camp. It will save time next June.

I know last year NYR was the team who was heavily favored to win...after adding Drury and Gomez, when they already had Jagr, Straka, Lundquvist, Shanahan, Avery, etc.

I have noticed the trend that too many all-stars ends up being a bad thing one way or another....I hope Holland doesn't sign anyone else...especially not Sundin.

I know last year NYR was the team who was heavily favored to win...after adding Drury and Gomez, when they already had Jagr, Straka, Lundquvist, Shanahan, Avery, etc.

I have noticed the trend that too many all-stars ends up being a bad thing one way or another....I hope Holland doesn't sign anyone else...especially not Sundin.

The big thing with too many All-Stars is you tend to get too many egos, and the chemistry just plummets from the lockerroom with that scenario. The Wings, in comparrison, are the exact same team that won the cup last year, aside from a backup goalie and a superstar forward who both came from the losing team. Its not like we took the top 25 wedding dresses and stitched them all together. We were already complete (or at least enough to win the cup), and just added even more depth. And I'm not too worried about chemistry for this year. Hossa plays fine in our "defense-first" style, and is a good team player.

Also, I have a feeling (but don't want to get too ahead of myself) that this may very well be Hossa's greatest year yet. He will most likely be playing on the second line, which means he won't have the added pressure of competing as a top 3 forward, and against the opposition's top line. Look at Hull and Robatille in 2002. 2nd liner, 3rd liner, whatever they were. They thrived in that low pressure job, and all the focus was on our top line at the time, so they were the ones to fly under the radar and post good, easy numbers. I'm predicting Hossa to have a similar situation this year, and with Filppulla as the natural playmaker and Franzen as the natural power-forward, Hossa would be the perfect fit to that puzzle.

I have noticed the trend that too many all-stars ends up being a bad thing one way or another....

Guys, seriously, enough with the comparisons to other teams. Just because Burke made some boneheaded moves and the Rangers are a perennial flop doesn't mean people should have reserved expectations about this particular team and this particular signing (i.e. Hossa). Besides, if we're going to use history as a guide, why not look at the '02 Wings? Lots of all-stars, and the season didn't exactly end on a bad note. Forget '02 -- just look at this team's dominance this past season. How would retaining most if not all of its most important pieces and then, on top of that, adding one of the most dangerous, consistent, and overall talented elite forwards in the league make this team anything but absurdly amazing?

This has the very real potential to be the best Wings team ever assembled. If someone truly wants to be "cautiously optimistic" about this...well, his/her loss.