• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dantroit

Please Stop Calling The Wings A Lock

Rate this topic

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you cause you obviously can't see the truth.

Or I (plus a lot of other people) have a different opinion of it than you. Gofigure on a message board.

I am going to bookmark this thread and when the Sharks blow it again in the playoffs gonna just pm this and would like an aplogoy.

And I'll expect the same when the Ducks fail to make it past the first round or the playoffs for that matter. If the Sharks make it further than the Ducks, I'll expect one back from you.

I'm just gonna leave you with a couple questions

How is Mcellean an awesome coach, hes never been a head coach in the nhl before?

This coming from a Red Wings fan. He's an assistant coach to the Stanley Cup Champions. I would think he knows a little bit about what he's doing given that the team he helped Babcock coach won it all.

Ron Wilson on the otherhand is looked by many as a great coach (myself not included) and has gottent o the finals before.

And then f*cked it up, just like the rest of his postseasons that failed.

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you cause you obviously can't see the truth. I am going to bookmark this thread and when the Sharks blow

Campbell may have underperformed in the playoffs, but there is a reason why the Sharks were offering him over 7 million and offered blake less. Because Campbell is simply better.

For the 2nd time now, because Blake and Boyle know how to win the cup!

When Boyle is a league worst +/- and Blake looks like a pylon, and the Sharks get bounced first round of the playoffs i'm gonna bring back this thread.

And again, I'll be happy to point it out when the Ducks fail before the Sharks. I'm most certainly not saying the Sharks will win it all, but they will go further this coming season than the Ducks will.

Also a couple gurantees. Neither Dallas or San Jose will win a cup with a roster resembeling their current one.

And the Ducks will?

BTW, I never said they would.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I'm not jumpin on any high horses at all....havent been riding horseback at any time on this board so far actually.

I'm just saying its july of freaking 2008. The next stanley cup win is nearly one freaking year away. Anything can happen between now and then, thats all im saying. I just think its ridiculous to claim the wings have the 2009 stanley cup locked up. There is no way anyone can claim realistically that a stanley cup win that is nearly one year away is locked up definitely finito no questions asked.

with that said you dont have to listen to my opinion. go ahead and think what you like. thats the beauty of message boards - everyone is different and has a different opinion. It would be boring if we all thought the same now, wouldnt it?

Edited by Holmstrom96Screens

Guest LivingtheDream
I am truly psyched about the signing of Hossa, and I think it is the perfect thing to keep the Stanley Cup high going...but that in no way makes Detroit a lock to win the Cup. A lot of things can happen between now and next June. Even back in 2002 when the Wings had all of the hall of famers and were dubbed a lock, they fell 0-2 in the 1st round and then got pushed 7 games against Colorado. Did they win? Yes, but it wasn't like they swept their way through, and I think some fans are making it seem like this team is going 98-0. This Red Wings teams seems a lot like the Celtics of last season, everyone crowned them the champs before the season started (at least here in the north east where I am currently living for business). And they got pushed to two separate 7 games series. Did they win? Yes, but was it a cake walk? No.

I know I know, I'm being a downer, and I truly am psyched about Hossa and I do think he really gives the Wings another dimension. And I think they have a GREAT shot at winning the cup, but a lot of things can happen, and I think too many people are crowning them champs too soon.

Okay, now that I have been a buzz kill, Go Wings!

Nope, you are right. Injuries, goal tending and meeting a hot team like Chicago in round one... any of this this could spell doom. However, a lack of hunger will not be the issue. Guys like Hank and Pavel are awesome competitors.

There is no way anyone can claim realistically that a stanley cup win that is nearly one year away is locked up

Once again: that's a given, and everyone here recognizes it. As such, using it in a line of argumentation is just lame.

When someone says, "When I wake up tomorrow..." do you cut him off and ask, "Who's to say you're going to be alive tomorrow?" If someone tells you, "OK, I'll call you in 10 minutes. Don't do anything until then," do you say, "I'm not committing to that! So much can happen in 10 minutes!"?

We get it -- the Wings are not a true lock, as there's no such thing as a true lock in this context, maybe even in life in general. But you know what? This is a message board devoted primarily to the Wings, and our Wings just beat the stuffing out of "The Most Dangerous Team in the NHL," and then went and signed that team's most dangerous player in the SCF -- all while likely retaining all of the championship squad's most essential pieces (Flip pending). In other words, the Wings are all about the EPIC PWN right now. I see no problem with Wings fans being all about ludicrous, cocksure celebration of this fact, as that kind of stuff is an inherent and essential part of fan cultures like this one.

Now, I can understand respecting superstitious beliefs -- that's why I didn't fly off the handle during this past run when everyone and his mother seemed bent on curtailing "gratuitous" optimism/confidence. But slamming folks just because "Well, you know, Chicago's looking to be a first-round surprise"? That's wack.

The Ducks may not even make the playoffs next year, let alone be a contender for the Cup.

Pronger is still a top 10 defenceman in this league, but he's getting older too. Niedermayer needs to prove he's still got it, because he did not play well for the Ducks last year. Beauchemin is a product of how well Niedermayer plays. Schnieder will be traded, making there 4-6 very weak. O'Donnell is old and slow, barely better then Chelios at this point. Kent Huskins is alright, but not a number 4 or a number 5. I cant even name their number 6. Brian Salcido or Mark Mitera most likely.

Up front, they have Getzlaf and Perry as there standout forwards. Perry is good for 30+ goals and Getzlaf will probably have 80 points next year as well, but who else? Chris Kunitz was a product of Selanne and McDonald, he's more of a 2nd liner without them. Ryan Carter is unproven, I dont believe the hype myself, but we'll see. Brendan Morrison is a good 2-way center, but still a 2nd liner. There best defensive player outside of Getzlaf and Pahlson, Marchant, is going to be traded. That hurts the PK, and overall speed of the team. (The Ducks, as a whole, are very slow. Niedermayer is the standout) Yes, the Ducks do have a very good checking line, but it didnt do much last year. Moen followed up a very good 06-07 season, with a less then stellar 07-08 season. Pahlson was hurt most of the year, so I'll give him a pass. Niedermayer didnt do a whole lot last year, alot like Moen. Bobby Ryan is the wild card, lets see how he does on the big line. Brad May is one of my favorite players, but nothing more then a defensive player on bottom lines, good for 10-15 points a year and 5-10 fights. Sutherby had alot of potential, still does, but did jack last year. Then you have Parros... enforcer, thats it. Then look at the goaltending, Giguere is solid. But has horrible rebound control, and was injured at points last year too. Lets see how he does with a human defence next year. Jonas Hiller is an average back up, I'd take Bryz over him 100 times out of 100, once again, nice one Burkie!

As far as San Jose and Dallas being better, then definately are. San Jose's defence is better then Anaheim, it isnt as top heavy, but San Jose's quality 4-6 defenceman make it better. With the emergance of Joe Pavelski as a good 2nd line center helps San Jose as well, Thornton makes Cheechoo and Michalek top line players, and Marleau is a fine 2nd line winger for the Sharks. McLennans system will be fine in San Jose.

Dallas, they are tougher and grittier then Anaheim. Watch next year, they will be. There defence, with a healthy Zubov and Boucher, is as good as Anaheims, plus you have to factor in Niskanen, Grossman and Fistrics development. There forwards are very good, and tough as well. I still see them as our only competetion for 1st overall in the West.

Phoenix and LA are wild cards as well. But with ALL of that said, none of them will beat the Wings :D.

(Plus, that's probably my longest post on this site.)

Wasn't everyone claiming the Ducks would repeat after signing Bert and Schnieder last year and returning most of their team?

but Nieds and Salami didnt play more than half the year? or was that a different year? who knows they may have

Once again: that's a given, and everyone here recognizes it. As such, using it in a line of argumentation is just lame.

When someone says, "When I wake up tomorrow..." do you cut him off and ask, "Who's to say you're going to be alive tomorrow?" If someone tells you, "OK, I'll call you in 10 minutes. Don't do anything until then," do you say, "I'm not committing to that! So much can happen in 10 minutes!"?

We get it -- the Wings are not a true lock, as there's no such thing as a true lock in this context, maybe even in life in general. But you know what? This is a message board devoted primarily to the Wings, and our Wings just beat the stuffing out of "The Most Dangerous Team in the NHL," and then went and signed that team's most dangerous player in the SCF -- all while likely retaining all of the championship squad's most essential pieces (Flip pending). In other words, the Wings are all about the EPIC PWN right now. I see no problem with Wings fans being all about ludicrous, cocksure celebration of this fact, as that kind of stuff is an inherent and essential part of fan cultures like this one.

Now, I can understand respecting superstitious beliefs -- that's why I didn't fly off the handle during this past run when everyone and his mother seemed bent on curtailing "gratuitous" optimism/confidence. But slamming folks just because "Well, you know, Chicago's looking to be a first-round surprise"? That's wack.

You're right, and it is a part of fan cultures. and so is hockey ribbing and bustin other people's chops about their players and teams (i love poking at flyers fans)

I love to say go wings go as much as any wingnut.

I only wanted toinject a little reality into it as well though.

To quote Maynard and sum up this thread:

I can't say what I want to,

even if I'm not serious.

even if I'm not serious.

Things like....

F#ck yourself, f#ck Yourself,

you piece of s***, why don't you

just go, kill yourself!

I said,

even if I'm not serious.

I can't say what I want to, even

if I'm just kiddiiiiingg!

People tell me what to say,

what to think, and what to play.

I said, people tell me what to say,

Things like.... F#ck yourself

f#ck Yourself,

you piece of s***, why don't you

just go kill yourself?

I said, I can't say what I want to,

even if I'm not serious.

I can't say what I want to, even

if, I'm just kiddiiiiingg.

F#ck yourself,

F#ck yourself,

you piece of s***,

why don't you go f#ck yourseeeeeeeelf?

People tell me what to say,

I said, people tell me what to say,

what to think, and what to playyyy!

I called the Ducks would flop last year and I think they will do even worse this year. I would not be suprised in the least if they failed to make the playoffs.

100% agreement, I don't have them making the playoffs in any of my predictions, they have NO top 6 Getzlaf and Perry, really you want to bank your offense on those two, ouch!!!

No shut down forward line, their D is great but there are a few overrated cogs, IMO, like Beauchemin.

I just don't see how in a division that has Dallas and SJ they are going to take either of the top 2 seeds from that division.

Is their defense better than those two teams, without a doubt, however the Ducks will have to deal Schneider or Beachemin and O'Donnel (highly unlikely as they only have 6 d-men right now) that will weaken that great D, plus their offense is not even in the same ball park as SJ and Dal. Lets say by the force of what ever body you hold holy, they keep Schneids, with this set of forwards no matter what team in the NHL you compare them to the gap between their offense and the other teams will far out weigh the comparison of D to D, with the exception of Tampa.

I actually see Ana fighting out Tampa for most disappointing team of the year, they will both have high expectations, ANA because of recent success, and Tampa due to recent transactions. However one team will lose 7-6 more often than they than they only give up 4 goals, and the other will lose 2-1, 1-0 more often than they score 4 goals.

Edited by Opie

Did I mention the wings are a 100% lock?

Im talking 100% chance of success, 0% chance of failure. There is more chance of Samuelsson becoming a fan favourite than Detroit not getting another cup. Its THAT certain.