• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rage

Dan Boyle Traded To San Jose

Rate this topic

I believe it was the old owenership who gave him the extension. Also, I believe even with him, they are under the cap.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

Tampa Bay has been a clusterf***. Don't be fooled, the new ownership have had their hands in everything for some time even before their deal was approved to own the team. Davidson has had very little to do with any of the decisions made the past few months. Koules and Barrie traded Richards, not Davidson. Koules and Barrie signed Boyle, not Davidson.

There is no East/West mentality, but more and more defencemen are moving to the West for forwards and the West spends significantly more on defence than the East. :D

That has nothing to do with conference allegiances. And I guess Florida/Phoenix broke the unwritten you keep babbling about, huh? How dare Florida acquire defensemen! The East is only supposed to be for offense!

Actually it looks like the prospect is Ty Wishart, one of San Jose's top defensive prospects. He was planning on going to camp this fall to try and make the Sharks, which means he will DEFINITELY have a shot with Tampa Bay.

This aspect of the deal makes me really happy now.

Edited by agdomain

Everyone's talking about Tampa Bay...how about one of our biggest Western Conference threats getting a whole lot better overnight?

I mean, we stack up against anyone, but still.

EXACTLY San jose is sneaking up behind us who cares about Tampa.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Awesome, Tampa is clearing some room out to bring Big Bert in :D

That has nothing to do with conference allegiances. And I guess Florida/Phoenix broke the unwritten you keep babbling about, huh? How dare Florida acquire defensemen! The East is only supposed to be for offense!

You never bothered to reply to my post averaging the East vs. the West spending on defense. It was about a 20% difference. I think you are in the minority in denying the West values defense more than the East.

June 20, 2008 - 10:54AM

The West is currently spending about 20% more on defense than the East.

Not including FAs and RFAs the West has an average defense salary of $14.402 million

The East is at $11.615

I have a feeling that has become even more skewed since then.

You still think there is no significance to that whatsoever?

I am surprised to hear everyone saying how San Jose got so much better. I live in the Bay area and unless they are playing my wings I support the Sharks. I think this is a break even deal for losing Campbell. I know Boyle is better defensively and on a better team will probably look even better.But if you consider losing carle and campbell, and getting Blake (slow and old) and Boyle, who between them tie up almost as much money as Lidstrom and Rafalski. Boyle was a -29 last year and had wrist surgery(always a concern) and they are commiting 7mil a year to him for I think 5 more years. This doesnt seem like a huge upgrade to me. Its about time San Jose focused on their blueline. Always a bunch of 3-4 guys and no 1-2 guys, but this is a ridiculous amount of cash for these guys. I can understand Boyle, but Blake and Boyle and that amount of money is nuts.

Having said all that I think if Boyle settles in here and the wrist doesnt bother him, he could be a good fit. Just have to hope to upgrade Blake next year....

Finally Wings defeat San Jose in the WCF on their way to the cup. That my dream every year.

The package that Tampa's getting back isn't horrible. Carle's young enough and from what I've seen has offensive potential. Plus they shed the salary, got actually 2 defensemen, plus picks. At least they didn't trade a defenseman for a forward or something like that, they've got a ton of those as it is.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Boyle didn't play much at all last year..

One thing you know about Tampa this year, is that they are willing to spend the money, So i wouldn't be surprised to see Jason Smith and/or Steve Montador becoming Lightinging in the next few days

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
You never bothered to reply to my post averaging the East vs. the West spending on defense. It was about a 20% difference. I think you are in the minority in denying the West values defense more than the East.

I have a feeling that has become even more skewed since then.

You still think there is no significance to that whatsoever?

I belive you and agree with you but will you just drop it allready? Your parading your well resarched facts as if they are a cure for cancer or something. For god sakes man it really isn't that important

This trade seems really odd to me. I'm sure they could have gotten a better return from someone else, say the Kings. Makes me wonder if Boyle said no to a different team or possibly gave the Lightning a list of acceptable suitors. TSN says Philly and Vancouver were on Boyle's approved list, I can't believe they couldn't come up with something better. I just don't get this move. Tampa has a lot of talented guys up front, but you need someone to get them the puck. Add in Lukowich going to San Jose, and it maes this deal even more puzzling.

First Tampa makes a real big effort to get better fast, then they turn around and trade two of their best d-men. In return they get a prospect, a couple picks, and in Carle a d-man with potential, but on his best day he is a 3-4 d-man.

What a bad trade for Tampa. Trade your best defenceman, and a vet, for a 1st pick next year, and a nothing D-man. I thought there defence could've been fine, but not now. That team is gonna be winning 7-5 games all year long.

No, this does not make San Jose a scary team again. Rafalski and Lidstrom is far and away better then Boyle and Blake.

Some of you guys are down right silly if you think Tampa got hosed on this deal.

They got a 1st, prospect, Carle, and a 4th for Boyle and Lucowich.

The prospect is said to be one of their top defensive prospects, Carle will be just as good as Boyle at his age, then a 1st round pick and a 4th.

No way Carle is as good as Boyle now, and you can't count on Carle or Wishart developing into the role Boyle played anytime over the next 3 seasons, minimum. The first round pick is going to be a bottom 5-10 pick. Yeah, it's still a first round pick, but it isn't like Tampa Bay is going to get a stud with it. Take a quick look at Tampa Bay's drafting history over the last 10 years. In those 10 years, Tampa Bay has only produced one draft pick that has has played in more than 180 NHL games (Paul Ranger), and he isn't even that good, he is a 4-5 d-man at best. They have 3 guys over the last 4 draft years (not including this past draft) that have actually played in an NHL game. Take a look at a team everyone rags on for poor drafting, the Leafs. They have 4 guys over those same 4 draft years, and 4 guys who have played in over that same 180 NHL game benchmark. Tampa Bay needs to go back to 'Entry Drafting 101' and if you think that the fourth round pick is any added sweetener to the deal, well come back out of left field.

Factor in Lukowich going with Boyle, and you have the result, a hosing for Tampa. This move had a simple motivation, salary cutting.

Teams are nothing without defense: The Lightning are going to be awful (like the Red Wings last Feb) and the Sharks are going to have a great defensive team.

DEFENCE

Player POS No. AGE HT WT SH BirthPlace Draft Info Rookie First

Rob Blake D 4 38 6-4 225 R Simcoe, ON LA(1988)4,70 1990 1989

Matt Carle D 18 23 6-0 205 L Anchorage, AK SJ(2003)2,47 2006 2005Christian Ehrhoff D 10 25 6-2 205 L Moers, DE SJ(2001)4,106 2003 2003

Derek Joslin D 65 21 6-1 210 L Richmond Hill, ON SJ(2005)5,149 2007

Kyle McLaren D 4 31 6-4 235 L Humboldt, SK Bos(1995)1,9 1995 1995

Douglas Murray D 3 28 6-3 240 L Bromma, SE SJ(1999)8,241 2005 2005

Craig Rivet D 52 33 6-2 210 R North Bay, ON Mon(1992)3,68 1996 1994Marc-Edouard Vlasic D 44 21 6-1 200 L Montreal, QC SJ(2005)2,35 2006 2006

Dan Boyle

No Carle no Rivet.

The prospect is Ty Wishart, hes sort of in the mold of a Braydon Coburn and immediately becomes one of their top 3 prospects in the organization (which isn't saying much if you think about it).