• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukownzU13

Little Ty Conklin Preview

Rate this topic

Conklin is being brought in to keep Howard on his toes (remember, he has had work ethic problems -- specifically, regarding conditioning habits) and to replace Howard should he crash and burn. It's a smart, safe move.

I believe Conklin was brought in to keep him on his toes, however, since the Hossa signing, Howard is destined to play out an other year in Grand Rapids. Not because of lack of skill, or poor conditioning/work ethic, but because of possible salary cap issues. Conklin will be the backup all year, barring injuries.

I know we say and hear this every year, but... NEXT YEAR will be Howard's shot at a regular gig in the NHL (hopefully).

I don't mean to sound like an *******, but it's not even a matter of opinion. Any GM in Holland's position would make sure he has a fallback option in the unlikely event that Howard doesn't work out. Neither Larsson nor McCollum is a viable fallback option at this point in time, so Kenny needed to go out and get someone to fill that role. Thus, the Conklin signing. The current backup spot and future #1 spot is still Howard's to lose.

I think your missing my point.

NOW: I don't think by this point Howard should need a fall back option. If he were going to magically be able to play split time next year with Ozzie and take the majority two years from now he should be a good backup this year.

FUTURE: If you believe he is going to be ready in two-three years then why draft/sign two more goalies with career no. 1 potential in the same year.

NOW: Even if Howard were as qualified as he could possibly be for the backup spot (which may very well be the case), there's always the threat of injury. Ozzie can't play a full regular season, and he certainly can't play a full regular season and then go and dominate in the postseason. So, what happens if Howard, the guy who's supposed to bail Ozzie out, gets injured? Now that we have Conklin, we have the option of using him in such a situation.

LONG-TERM: Holland is building a solid pipeline. If Howard progresses the way he should, he'll be the #1 guy within the next three seasons and guys like McCollum will have worked themselves closer to contention. Worrying that we're going to have some sort of three-way #1 logjam is silly; it won't happen, for a number of reasons -- especially after that Cujo fiasco.

i was about to post the same video. i've been making ty conklin jokes since that very day. now he's on our team. i think he'll play well, but i just can't get the memory of that goal out of my head...

The only problem I see with him is that he has bad rebound control and that he gets a little too out of position.

I honestly think Howard could outplay Conklin for the most part.

Actually based on what I saw when he was on the Pens this past year, his strengths are rebound control and puckhandling, two things that work in our favor. I could see him and Ozzie posting some very good numbers this upcoming season. No knock on Howard, who I haven't seen very much of, but Osgood and Conklin should be the goalies this year.

Guest Four

Lol well, as I see it Conklin is to keep Howard on his toes. And also, Osgood is getting old so drafting goalies will back up Howard when Osgood retires and the new goalies have spent tons of time in GR to get ready. I think the moves just create more depth and give us a huge amount of options. One day I want to ssee Howard our top goalie (after Osgood RETIRES of course).

Lol well, as I see it Conklin is to keep Howard on his toes. And also, Osgood is getting old so drafting goalies will back up Howard when Osgood retires and the new goalies have spent tons of time in GR to get ready. I think the moves just create more depth and give us a huge amount of options. One day I want to ssee Howard our top goalie (after Osgood RETIRES of course).

Ozzie's only 35 he could easily play for at least another 5 season.