• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Filppula Elects Salary Arbitration

Rate this topic

Noones reported it yet...read it over at hockeyfights.com

Someone will no doubt explain what it means for Filpulla and in general...

Thanks to whichever mod sorted out my spelling! Ive never had a topic pinned before...:)

Edited by uk_redwing

Guest Dump-N-Thump

The players did not agree with the qualifying offers they got from the team as RFAs, so it goes to a hearing in front of an arbiter where representatives from the team and the player argue as to the player's worth. Then the arbiter decides how much the player gets based on the evidence provided. A team can also take a player to arbitration if they don't sign the the qualifying offer or, in the Pens case with Fleury, to keep other teams from submitting offer sheets while they work out a contract. It isn't guaranteed, however, that it will get to a hearing - the team and player can still negotiate a contract and avoid a hearing.

--HF.COM.. Thanks FightingIsGood

Edited by Dump-N-Thump

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeag...arbitration.htm

NHL salary arbitration is a tool available to settle some contract disputes. The player and team each propose a salary for the coming season, and argue their cases at a hearing. The arbitrator, a neutral third party, then sets the player's salary.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't this mean Filppula isn't eligible to sign an offer sheet from another team now?

This could be good or bad. The aribitrator could award him in between 1.1-2.9 million, which would make sense and the Wings would sign. Or he awards him more, and the Wings get iffy on whether to sign him or not.

Or Holland could just sign him before the arbitration hearing.

NHL Salary Arbitration is different than most arbitrations. In the NHL you are allowed to "split the kitty".

Flip will show, I think, 5 or 6 players who he likens himself to and their arbitration while Holland will show the same number of players he feels Flip is equal to. The neutral arbitrator will then find some middle ground and both parties are happy. Of course Flip is the happiest, because either way he is making more money than he once was!

Guest Crymson
This could be good or bad. The aribitrator could award him in between 1.1-2.9 million, which would make sense and the Wings would sign. Or he awards him more, and the Wings get iffy on whether to sign him or not.

Michael Cammalleri got $3.1m in arbitration after a 34-goal, 80-point season with the Kings in '06-'07. Filppula will not get more than $3m.

Filppula had 36 points.

Avery had 48 points in 84 games in 06-07 then he also elected salary arbitartion and his salary for the 07-08 season was 1.9 million :)

Edited by Reds4Life

I have a feeling this is just meant to allow Flips and management to negotiate more without an offer sheet flying in. Just like Fleury and the Pens.

Also, if it does go to hearing I don't see any reason they would suggest Flips is worth more than 3 mil or so. I could be wrong, I guess I don't know how the third parties look at it exactly. But past experience tells me that they are usualy very fair to both parties. And in this case, its not a matter of a player demanding more. It's more about finding a number that can work for both.

Michael Cammalleri got $3.1m in arbitration after a 34-goal, 80-point season with the Kings in '06-'07. Filppula will not get more than $3m.

The thing is, arbiters are not allowed to infer whether or not a player is overpaid. They can't look at Vanek and say, "well hes making 7 million, but he only scored 60 some points, so hes overpaid and cant be used as a rule of thumb." Instead what they have to do under arbitration rules is say "well, Vaneks GM paid him 7 million, and hes only a 60 point player, so I have to take into account that 60-some point players can garner 7 million."

Fortunately, Vanek is a poor example and is in now way a comparable player to Filppula. But you get the point. And fortunately as well, arbitration is stat based and Filppulas game lies mostly in the intangibles..

I have a feeling this is just meant to allow Flips and management to negotiate more without an offer sheet flying in. Just like Fleury and the Pens.

Also, if it does go to hearing I don't see any reason they would suggest Flips is worth more than 3 mil or so. I could be wrong, I guess I don't know how the third parties look at it exactly. But past experience tells me that they are usualy very fair to both parties. And in this case, its not a matter of a player demanding more. It's more about finding a number that can work for both.

Both parties offer up players that they feel is of equal talent. Flips examples are going to be overpriced players who had aorund the same point totals while Holland will offer up a few players that had the same totals but a very low salary.

The third party then meets somewhere in the middle. You can see Flip making anywhere from probably 1.25 Mil to about 3 Mil at most.

Flip gets his money and Holland gets to keep Flip!

If it goes to arbitration Filppula will most likely get a low-end one year deal and become a UFA after next season when the Wings are going to be stretched financially. He would then get to pick his future team rather than getting bogged down in a lengthy contract with some crappy team via a contract sheet. Filing for arbitration puts the Wings on the spot because they know they could possibly lose him and get absolutely nothing for him next year if he is awarded a one year deal...

Filppula had 36 points.

Avery had 48 points in 84 games in 06-07 then he also elected salary arbitartion and his salary for the 07-08 season was 1.9 million :)

That was last year. This is this year.

Filppula: 36 points - ?

Steen: 42 points - 1.7M

Hagman: 41 points - 3M

Pavelski: 40 points - 1.64M

Laich: 37 points - RFA

Gaustad: 36 points - 2.3M

Paille: 35 points - RFA

Tucker: 34 points - 2.25M

Fedotenko: 33 points - 2.25M

Avery: 33 points - 3.9M

Metropolit: 33 points - 1M

Ruutu: 33 points - 2.5M

Bernier: 32 points - RFA

Backes: 31 points - 2.5M

Ryder: 31 points - 4M

I listed some players who haven't signed yet, but their signings would likely influence arbitration if they were to happen prior to Flips potential hearing. For the salaries listed there, the average number is 2.25M, which is a fairly good estimate for Flip. If Holland and co. dont get something figured out before arbirtration, it shouldnt be too rough..

Edited by YoungGuns1340

If it goes to arbitration Filppula will most likely get a low-end one year deal and become a UFA after next season when the Wings are going to be stretched financially. He would then get to pick his future team rather than getting bogged down in a lengthy contract with some crappy team via a contract sheet. Filing for arbitration puts the Wings on the spot because they know they could possibly lose him and get absolutely nothing for him next year if he is awarded a one year deal...

Filppula will be a RFA after next season. He won't be 27 years old, and he won't have 7 years of service in the NHL.

That was last year. This is this year.

Yeah, thanks I had no idea. Oh wait, thats why I mentioned the years :rolleyes:

Filppula: 36 points - ?

bla bla

1.9 - 2.5 is still pretty good deal. I only wanted to point out that there is no way he gets more than 3 million. I hope you do understand me now.

My two cents...***

This will be good in that we know flip be here one more year..that being said...if he plays with Hossa and has a big year he could ask for big $$. We will know that by the trade deadline. If it looks like he will command a big deal then the Wings could trade him to fill any holes that arise during the season. This would also open the door to slide one of the young guys onto that line.

I want Flip to stay but if he plays on the 2nd PP and 2nd line with Hossa the numbers could pile up....and so could the salary demand. Hopefully Kenny can sweet talk him before a hearing.

My two cents...***

This will be good in that we know flip be here one more year..that being said...if he plays with Hossa and has a big year he could ask for big $$. We will know that by the trade deadline. If it looks like he will command a big deal then the Wings could trade him to fill any holes that arise during the season. This would also open the door to slide one of the young guys onto that line.

I want Flip to stay but if he plays on the 2nd PP and 2nd line with Hossa the numbers could pile up....and so could the salary demand. Hopefully Kenny can sweet talk him before a hearing.