• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Filppula Elects Salary Arbitration

Rate this topic

I'm sorry, was 'fantastic' too big of a word for Flip's play? I guess I am in the minority then. I love what I see from the guy game in and out. Maybe he isn't so fantastic now, but he's damn good and the Wings should do whatever they can to re-sign him.

It's all relative. Right now Fil's play is somewhere between Draper and Cleary. Very defensively sound, but his offense isn't quite where you like it to be for your 2nd line center. Draper is on a 3 year deal around $1.5M and Cleary on a 5 year deal at $2.8M. All good players, but not stars. We've got guys like Zetterberg and Hossa to think of over the course of this year. If Fil's contract gets out of whack with relation to what he actually provides, that's bad. And flies in the face of everything Kenny is building here. Lidstrom did not set a team wide cap at $7.45M so Kenny can toss silly money Filppula's way (silly being $3M/yr and up).

I'm sorry, was 'fantastic' too big of a word for Flip's play? I guess I am in the minority then. I love what I see from the guy game in and out. Maybe he isn't so fantastic now, but he's damn good and the Wings should do whatever they can to re-sign him.

I see him as a good defensive forward. But a mediocre offensive forward. And on the Red Wings you have to have both to be, and get paid like, a fantastic player.

I'm not sure why you responded to my post in that way, other than if you competely missed my point. Let me spell it out for you:

1) I wasn't mocking Filppula, I was mocking HC, because I don't ever expect Filppula to put up "fantstic" numbers.

2) I dont care if Filppula asks for 100 million or 1 million. All I care is if Filppula comes asking for big money on a long term contract that we turn him down. See point 1 for my reasoning on that.

We saw what happend when Jason Williams asked for more than he was worth.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Filppula did what was necessary to protect himself in negotiations, which will continue over the next couple of weeks. No date has been set yet for the arbitration hearing.

“There are mechanisms in the CBA that protect the player and the club,” Holland said. “We now have to determine whether we want a one-year or two-year award. In the meantime, I’ve talked to Bill Zito, Filppula’s agent, a couple times today and yesterday. We’re going to continue to talk and hopefully we can find a solution. We do know he’s going to be under contract by late July or very early August.”

Holland said he’s had plenty of players file for arbitration but has always found a way to get a deal done and he hopes to do the same with Filppula. Holland said he they were “in the ballpark” on a short-term agreement, but they have also been talking about a long-term deal.

“I’m open to anything if it makes sense,” Holland said. “My feeling is I try to take the emotion out of the equation. It’s business. Fil and his agent have to get a deal they feel real comfortable with. I have to get a deal that’s real comfortable for the Red Wings.”

Pretty much backs up what I said. Holland is going to be political but get his point across. Look at Avery, Camilleri, Afinogenov. They r all with different teams now.

Pretty much backs up what I said. Holland is going to be political but get his point across. Look at Avery, Camilleri, Afinogenov. They r all with different teams now.

It was a lot more than just an arbitration case with Avery and Cammalleri. Afinogenov is still with the Sabres.

Edited by Heaton

It was a lot more than just an arbitration case with Avery and Cammalleri. Afinogenov is still with the Sabres.

Didn't Afinogenov leave to go to the Predators two seasons ago?! I could have my Buffalo forward mixed up.

Didn't Afinogenov leave to go to the Predators two seasons ago?! I could have my Buffalo forward mixed up.

Nope. You're thinking of JP Dumont.

hasn't there always been a certain stigma associated with salary arbitration? i really wish it hadn't come to this.

GMs have been known to tear players apart during the hearings. I can't for the life of me remember who, but I believe there was a player that actually broke down and cried once. It can get very messy. Back when Dollar Bill Wirtz was alive no player that ever took him to arbitration stayed with the team. They were all traded away.

People on other boards have better memories than me.

Mad Mike Milbury made Tommy Salo cry during an arbitration hearing.

:lol: I knew Tommy Salo was bad, but I didnt know he was a wimp too. Although, when Milbury gets mad, he can get scary.

:lol: I knew Tommy Salo was bad, but I didnt know he was a wimp too. Although, when Milbury gets mad, he can get scary.

Milbury ripped Tiger apart and he didnt even know the guy. Imagine when theres incentive for MM to rip a guy apart...Id probably cry too.

In my opinion this was mostly just a formality. I doubt Filppula expects to actually go to the hearing. This move lets the team know where he stands, and lets the fans know where he stands. Plus it puts a time-table on finishing his contract to plan on the Chelios and McCarty/Downey payments.

Good move by Flip to do so.

In my opinion this was mostly just a formality. I doubt Filppula expects to actually go to the hearing. This move lets the team know where he stands, and lets the fans know where he stands. Plus it puts a time-table on finishing his contract to plan on the Chelios and McCarty/Downey payments.

Good move by Flip to do so.

yea i agree with this, hopefully we know for sure soon.

That was last year. This is this year.

Filppula: 36 points - ?

Steen: 42 points - 1.7M

Hagman: 41 points - 3M

Pavelski: 40 points - 1.64M

Laich: 37 points - RFA

Gaustad: 36 points - 2.3M

Paille: 35 points - RFA

Tucker: 34 points - 2.25M

Fedotenko: 33 points - 2.25M

Avery: 33 points - 3.9M

Metropolit: 33 points - 1M

Ruutu: 33 points - 2.5M

Bernier: 32 points - RFA

Backes: 31 points - 2.5M

Ryder: 31 points - 4M

I listed some players who haven't signed yet, but their signings would likely influence arbitration if they were to happen prior to Flips potential hearing. For the salaries listed there, the average number is 2.25M, which is a fairly good estimate for Flip. If Holland and co. dont get something figured out before arbirtration, it shouldnt be too rough..

If it turns out 2.25 I will be so happy. I would rather he just come in and make a contract, this is very unlikely for him to get paid so much that he doesn't get back in the Wheel but if it is then I will be upset.

I can see I'm definetely in the minority. It wouldn't bother me to see Flip walk. It would free up a little $$$ cap-wise, and would also allow guys like Helm, Hudler, Mac, and Downey more of a chance to play.

Like Majsheppard above me said, if it goes to arbitration and he's awarded bigger $$$ than Kenny wanted to shell out, it could be a problem.

By going to arbitration, Filppula can't receive an offer sheet. IMO if anyone gave him an offer sheet it would have been more than the Red Wings would have offered or at least liked to offer him. So therefore I think it's a good move by Flip and it clearly shows that he wants to remain a Red Wing. But hopefully it doesn't get to arbitration because I don't like the idea of it. Hopefully we get him signed up for something like $8 million over 4 years. Flip probably is leaning towards a 1 or 2 year deal in the hope of putting up big numbers this year and then getting a larger contract next year. It's all part of the negiation process but one thing has been made clear, Flip does want to stay but it's just a matter of getting the right length/salary.

Guest nutz2u

Filppula is 24 years old, same as Hudler. His stats aren't any better than Hudler's even though he gets a ton more ice time, please enlighten me as to why you all think he is worth 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as Hudler.

Guest Four
Filppula is 24 years old, same as Hudler. His stats aren't any better than Hudler's even though he gets a ton more ice time, please enlighten me as to why you all think he is worth 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as Hudler.

That's what I don't understand either

If it does go to arbitration, it will favor Holland as Flip's numbers are pretty low. $1.6 million would be my best guess. But I do doubt it ends up going to arbitration.