• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfreak_09

Will Hossa make an impact worth the ca$h?

Rate this topic

Was Hossa worth the money?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, but was he worth the 7.45 mill? IMO he better be at LEAST +35 goal man and make an impact to this team. He wanted to come to Detroit to win a cup but he better not be expecting to just hop on and do nothing to lift the cup next June.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, but was he worth the 7.45 mill? IMO he better be at LEAST +35 goal man and make an impact to this team. He wanted to come to Detroit to win a cup but he better not be expecting to just hop on and do nothing to lift the cup next June.

It's consistent with what teams would be willing to pay, perhaps less in some cases. I would not worry about his work ethic. He showed he was a competitor in the SCF. If he plays remotely close to his potential, he should be able to meet your benchmark.

Keep in mind, also, that he's coming here knowing that if he WANTS to stay, he'll have to show them he's worth keeping.

Alot of people think that he's just coming in to win a cup, but he signed a year deal to play a FULL year, and he's already kind of said he would like to play here.

Factor in who he'll be playing with (Pav and Z, the Mule, etc.), and it's even more enticing/promising for him to stay.

I think he's going to come out guns'a blazin' and show Babcock and upper management that he's happy here, while earning his next contract.

He knows that if he plays well, he stays.

I'd be very surprised if Hossa stays there for another year. Where does the money come from? Its the same thing pens fans were looking at this year. They could afford him this year, just like the Wings will be able to next year, but at what cost. The pens are likely better off spreading that money around, and next year I feel that the Wings will be in the same situation.

The Wings currently have four, maybe five players who are worth at least $7.5m on the open market today. The fact that none of them make that much doesn't mean none of them are worth the cash.

As far as Hossa staying around? If the Wings have to give up one of Filppula, Hudler or Franzen to keep Hossa long-term, that's worth it and anyone who doesn't think so needs a serious boot to the head.

The fact that Hudler, Zetterberg, and Franzen are all playing together to start the year might seem scary from a contract POV at first...but think about it for a second. Hopefully, having those three together will keep the contracts down; Zetterberg's deal should be comparable to Datsyuk's...Hudler and Franzen's performances will be greatly affected by Zetterberg and each other. The thing that makes me concerned about their deals is Filppula's $3m contract after last season. Does that mean that Hudler and Franzen are both going to be worth $4m after this season?

I'd be very surprised if Hossa stays there for another year. Where does the money come from? Its the same thing pens fans were looking at this year. They could afford him this year, just like the Wings will be able to next year, but at what cost. The pens are likely better off spreading that money around, and next year I feel that the Wings will be in the same situation.

Honestly, I think having Hossa in Detroit is alot different than him playing in Pittsburgh.

First off, there were a couple times while Hossa was still a Pen where he seemed like he didn't like it as much. He's used to being a stud in an organization, and he might've been overlooked a little bit because of Crybaby and Malkin. Also, I think he had some qualms with how the team was coached (Therrien).

All of this being said, I've heard many quotes about Hossa saying that he really WANTED to play for Detroit. He seems like he'll be happy here. With all of our stars and our depth, there will be less pressure on him, and he can play without having to worry about as much. This team seems closer, provides seamless chemistry, and is backed by a GREAT front office and a great coach. Ideally, I'm hoping he'll want to stay for a longer contract just as much as everyone wants him to stay.

He's made it clear he wants to play for Detroit, wether or not it's just to get a ring, we'll see. Either way, his stay here will be a good one, and I hope that the team can work something out with him.

If he plays hard, and enjoys the system we have in place (who wouldn't?), I can see him desiring to stick around. Even if he did have a cup, who wants to WILLINGLY leave the Red Wings? He was getting like $80M thrown at him and he turned it down. Granted, no one wants to lock themselves into anything for 9-10 years, but the fact that he's already bought into the system and was willing to take less money than Lidstrom shows that he understands this agreement that if you buy fully into the system, you will be rewarded.

I have a feeling that Ken Holland didn't sign him thinking he'd only be here for one season and one season, alone. He seems like the type of guy that would think 2 or 3 steps ahead to make sure he can work everything out... If there's anyone out there that can make it happen and retain all 3 players, it's Ken Holland. :thumbup:

The list of people who would willingly leave Detroit is, oh, 80 years long? It's a mistake to think that Hossa will be around longer than a year. It would be cap suicide to re-sign him.

Holland heard that Hossa wanted to be here the day he signed him. How many steps ahead can he possibly think. He at least had the foresight to call Filppula first and tell him he'd make room, but I doubt he thought beyond that.

Edited by Earthhuman