• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crotty99

Hossa's agent is floored by his client's behaviour

Rate this topic

Well, if I read between the lines, the agent is PO'd that he is missing out on the fat commission he would have received if Hossa signed with Edmonton. What the agent seems to have a hard time accepting is that he works for Hossa, not the other way around.

are we really surprised? this Winter guy is a lawyer.

even worse - he's a player agent, which means his

greediness reaches even higher level. maybe not that

of Meehan but still one that for most people is simply

disgusting.

and being lawyer he also lacks imagination and

understanding of the sole fact that a player may want

to sack (financially) a season only to achieve something.

for guys like Winter the NHL before end of 90's was

worthless. fortunately, for us hockey fans and for

passionate players this is not so. and there's more

in our lives than just money.

you know what, Mr. Winter. you'll get to milk your

cow next year. meanwhile the cow's gonna ripe and

increase his value. in the end you won't regret this

the guy was after a big payday, but instead he gets a little one. of corse he's 'floored'. His holiday home in maui probably needs a new coat of paint or soemthing and now he can't afford the extra special shiny metallic gold fleck finish or something...

You can't blame the agent at all. He's probably not a wings fan and could care less about their sucess. He is just a normal guy that watches millions of his dollars fly out the window. I think anyone would be upset.

but like you said, he WORKS for Hossa. This is what Hossa wants and I completely respect(am happy as hell!) about his decision.

Like any of your wouldn't be upset to watch millions of dollars vanish before your eyes because of what someone else did. It didn't sound like he was pissed to me though, just surprised. Which is more a comment on the state of sports where everyone is assumed to be about the money.

As far as blasting the agent for being greedy, like everyone did with Datsyuk's agent when he contract was up, remember this. The agent works for the player. If the player says, I want the most money I can get. The agent goes and does that for him. Except if its Scott Boras who tries to get the most money no matter what his client wants to do.

As a side note, I will laugh my ass off if/when Hossa leaves for his 8 year, 80 million dollar contract and he gets blasted here for being greedy.

As a side note, I will laugh my ass off if/when Hossa leaves for his 8 year, 80 million dollar contract and he gets blasted here for being greedy.

you can actually bet your money on this to happen :)

Guest mindfly

Well if you do love the sport you want to win the cup, if you're only playing because it's your job you will only go for the big money... it's really that simple... im playing hockey in a rather high level in sweden and i would have done exactly the same in hossa's situation and depending on how the season goes probably resign long-term for a few million less... money aint everything... it's about WINNING.

Edited by mindfly

:lol:

It's coming. I don't think Hossa will be here longer than a year unless we lose some other significant players. This is a one year shot for Hossa. He's not going to pass up a $70m+ deal twice in a row.

Hopefully he wins the Cup before fading to obscurity in Edmonton, though.

Well, if I read between the lines, the agent is PO'd that he is missing out on the fat commission he would have received if Hossa signed with Edmonton. What the agent seems to have a hard time accepting is that he works for Hossa, not the other way around.

And while the agent does definitely work for the player, agents want as much cash/commission as possible. You need to make your client happy in the long term, but I'd be a bit foul (though understanding of the client's motives) as well if my client rejected higher contract offers.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Agent was proly like.. damnit, i just missed out on 5m for myself because your selfish ass wants a stanley cup :P

I need to start taking the cynical pills that everyone around here seems to gobble down.

I read that article and I get a completely different take.

One part even mentions that Hossa and his agent were laughing at what they were proposing. That's not someone who's pissed.

I need to start taking the cynical pills that everyone around here seems to gobble down.

One part even mentions that Hossa and his agent were laughing at what they were proposing. That's not someone who's pissed.

..funny you should say that, i was thinking the same thing so it was interesting to see everyones reaction haha.

Just cause Hossa and his agent laughed about, doesn't mean Rich Winter didn't head straight to a shooting range after he left his meeting with Hossa. Winter lost out on a TON of money. Of course hes pissed.

this.

We often talk about greedy players, but it's the agents who are money hungry in the background

Interesting you mention that. Here's what Ritch Winter was up to last time we heard from him, scheming to get ads on goalie jerseys:

MLive Blog

He isn't "missing out" on anything unless something tragic happens to Hossa in the next year.

Hossa's still going to be filthy rich. He's got many years of excellent hockey left. That means that Winter's sill going to get his percentage.

Just cause Hossa and his agent laughed about, doesn't mean Rich Winter didn't head straight to a shooting range after he left his meeting with Hossa. Winter lost out on a TON of money. Of course hes pissed.

yes obviously but its just funny that the article never gave off any sort of negative vibe from the agent yet that is the view that everybody took straight away.

...but yea obviously the guy is gonna be a little annoyed although im sure hes doing ok for himself.

Does anyone read these things? Or do they just post them?

Notice in that article it says - the "Goaltender's Club" suggested the idea. It even names the goalies..

A group of influential NHL players that includes New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, Dallas's Marty Turco, Detroit's Dominik Hasek and Edmonton's Dwayne Roloson want the league's - and inevitably the Leafs' - uniforms altered again. In what would be a radical overhaul that might incite hockey traditionalists but surely gratify some of the league's cash-strapped owners, several NHL goalies have asked the league and its players union to consider starting a so-called Goaltender's Club. Revenue-generating initiatives for the club could include placing a corporate logo on the jerseys of the league's 60-odd goalies.

Then it mentions that Winter and Robins are helping.

That's "scheming to get ads on goalie jerseys"? Sounds to me like he was hired to perform a job. He is a lawyer after all.

Interesting you mention that. Here's what Ritch Winter was up to last time we heard from him, scheming to get ads on goalie jerseys:

MLive Blog

yes obviously but its just funny that the article never gave off any sort of negative vibe from the agent yet that is the view that everybody took straight away.

...but yea obviously the guy is gonna be a little annoyed although im sure hes doing ok for himself.

Thats because a lot of people on this board are familiar with Rich Winter and how the players he represents have acted in the past. The guy is all about money.

Does anyone read these things? Or do they just post them?

Notice in that article it says - the "Goaltender's Club" suggested the idea. It even names the goalies..

Then it mentions that Winter and Robins are helping.

That's "scheming to get ads on goalie jerseys"? Sounds to me like he was hired to perform a job. He is a lawyer after all.

uh what?