• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Superman54

Do We Want Chelios Back?

Rate this topic

It's been said from the start that if Chelios comes back, he will probably be the 7th or 8th d-man. I'm not saying he's done or terrible now, far from it. He's an absolute nutjob when it comes to keeping in shape so if anybody can play at such an age in his mid/late 40s, it is Chelios. There's little or no harm to this re-signing. It'll be for a minimal amount, in all likelihood Chelios won't play every night, he can mentor young defensemen.

I have to see more than a few bad line changes to think it's time for him to call it quits.

Last year was the first year he was ever a liability on the ice... that could mean it will be a quick downhill, but I am more than willing to see him again. He has good outlet passes, is strong in the corners, good in front of the net, is one of the leaders, plays well positionally and has a mean edge to him... all that still trumps his lack in speed.

personally i'd rather see the young guys, but i don't mind cheli and what he brings to the table ... don't forget, kenny said there's a good chance we'll be moving a d-man or two in september ... whether that means quincey or meech or lebda or lilja i guess depends on how camp goes, but once the dealing is done i'm guessing there won't be such a logjam and cheli will fit nicely in the 8th spot ... i do like the idea of him as a coach though ...

There's something to be said about smart hockey. Chelios may not be the biggest, strongest, fastest or quickest, but he's one of the smartest. Sure, he won't be the guy to smoke you in the corner, but he's the guy who's gonna be in the right position at the right time. I really believe that he has the capability to play one more year, and can be an invaluable resource on the team as far as mentoring young D-men

Guest mindfly

Yeah maybe for league minimum, experience is worth alot! but 850.000$ is too much i think

He's locker room character, so hire him as an assistant coach or a trainer. He'd do great at both.

I'll be honest though, there are 8-9 defensemen in our system better than him. Bigger, stronger, faster, and more skillful.

Bigger - Lilja

Stronger - Lilja

Faster - Lebda

More Skillful - Lilja

Sorry couldn't resist. And no, I don't think Lilja is more skillful

I don't think there are many people who WANT Chelios to retire, but I think it may be time, though I personally would rather have him then Lilja or Lebda. But with the shrinking capspace, might be time to give Cheli an office next to Steve's and thank him for his time.

I have to see more than a few bad line changes to think it's time for him to call it quits.

Last year was the first year he was ever a liability on the ice... that could mean it will be a quick downhill, but I am more than willing to see him again. He has good outlet passes, is strong in the corners, good in front of the net, is one of the leaders, plays well positionally and has a mean edge to him... all that still trumps his lack in speed.

That's about where I am...I actually think his 2007-08 regular season was pretty much even with 2006-07, maybe even marginally better...I think because of his age, people are quick to hit the "done" button when he's playing bad, as in the Dallas series, but hey, sometimes it's just a slump.

Only time will tell for sure which it is, but I'm willing to give a guy with his resume the chance to prove that it was just a bad couple weeks and nothing more.

If Chelios can outplay who we have waiting in Grand Rapids, then yes, I definitely want him back. But if players like Meech and Quincey and whoever else is still waiting to get into the organization can prove they can bring more to the table that Cheli (when you consider his veteranship and lockerroom presence, he has alot), send 'em up and let Chelios go on his way.

Getting rid of Cheli is like putting down the household dog you've grown to love. You don't want to do it, but you know it's time.

If only we'd do this with Darren McCarty.

Keep him as an assistant coach. He does not belong on the ice anymore.

It's stupid quotes like this one that make me wish we could rate posters, so that we could skip posts like this one and keep reading.

I say you let Cheli compete for the spot and if he is good enough to be on the team on merit, you sign him.

Exactly. He'll earn his spot, and continue to make our young D better. He'll play in half the games, and (when he is in) continue to play in the top PK pairing with Nicklas Lidstrom - a fact that many of you idiots seem to forget. One bad Dallas series and "Cheli's done".