• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Lowe does it again

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

"Who wants to live in Detroit?" said Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe. "What this week has done has put us back on the map. As someone said to me the other day, 'I'm sure there was a time in the '80s when everyone wanted to play in Edmonton.'

"Detroit is like that now -- and we want to get there. We want to get to a place where there are no challenges."

Wtf come on :/

i'm not sure what context this was said in...it sounds like he's saying that because detroit is so good, they get players (e.g. hossa) who will do anything to play there...and that that is a positive thing that his organization aspires to. but, if he's talking about something else, then i'm not sure what he's getting at, or what you mean by "does it again." maybe i'm just missing something here...

link?

Why does he think that the Oilers are "back on the map?" What have the Oilers done since July 1?

As for the "who wants to live in Detroit?" question... people who want to be winners want to live here.

Who wants to live in Edmonton is the better question.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I am just guessing because there is no context here, but I think the "Who wants to live in Detroit" part was being said sarcastically, because the rest of what he said was complimentary of the team.

He's basically saying that people probably don't really want to LIVE in Detroit (who can blame them) but are willing to so they can play with one of the best organizations in all of sports. It was a compliment to the Red Wings.

Lowe used to play for the Red Wigns, before he got traded to Edmonton in the 80's. If anyone knows about Detroit and winning organization it's him. Lowe is too much of a class act to slam any city. Burke on the other hand is a petty sniveling moron.

But none of the players actually live in the city and none are expected. Any of the Kings live in LA? Hell no they live in Beverly Hill or Bel Air or somewhere. I don't think he meant anything by it but lets not get into another Jimmy Kimmel thing again. As for the challenge part I think he meant that they have it easier being so good, that people basically just come to them, at least thats my guess.

And you base that on???

Just in the past few years: The Pronger trade, the Ryan Smythe negotiations, the Penner signing, the Souray signing, etc.

The "who wants to live in Detroit?" comment is annoying, too.

Just in the past few years: The Pronger trade, the Ryan Smythe negotiations, the Penner signing, the Souray signing, etc.

While I don't argue Lowe is garbage, I don't think he was really trashing Detroit on that comment. I think his point was that there are nicer cities that a hockey player could choose from, but given that they still pick Detroit over the others and for a discount.

Perhaps he was offsides with the "Who wants to live in Detroit" comment, but his point was that Kenny and Co. have done a stellar job.

He could have made that point without taking a shot at Detroit. Ask the players who live in Birmingham and West Bloomfield what their quality of life is.

Lowe and Burke deserve each other. Can you imagine Ken Holland making comments like that?

He could have made that point without taking a shot at Detroit. Ask the players who live in Birmingham and West Bloomfield what their quality of life is.

Lowe and Burke deserve each other. Can you imagine Ken Holland making comments like that?

That's true, but most people make comments about Detroit not knowing that the players themselves don't live in the city. Again, I'm not defending it, but I believe the point of what he was making had very little to do with the quality of life the players are living.

BTW, I agree that Kenny would never make a comment of the sort.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

But none of the players actually live in the city and none are expected. Any of the Kings live in LA? Hell no they live in Beverly Hill or Bel Air or somewhere. I don't think he meant anything by it but lets not get into another Jimmy Kimmel thing again. As for the challenge part I think he meant that they have it easier being so good, that people basically just come to them, at least thats my guess.

Thats right...sorta. Beverl hills is in L.A down the street from Hollywood (which is part of L.A)

Do they live in East L.A? or Compton? most likely not. Same with Detroit. Detroit might not be a very nice place to live, But that does not really matter. It's places like Birmingham, Royal Oak, Novi, Ferndale, Beverly Hills (MI) and various other Oakland and Wayne county places that people live and hang out in. It seems everyone not from here thinks we all live in the city of detroit and use there schools and so on. It just shows they don't really know what they are talking about when they speak of Michigan, much less detroit.

Even people in Michigan don't want to live in Detroit, so it's an accurate statement.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

To Mindfly. What exactly has Lowe done again? Complement Detroit as an orginization. He is drawing parralells to Edm and Det as a city in which very few people want to live in, which is true whether it be the climate the economey or corrupt mayor. He is saying players come there to play Hockey, which is true.

It was a compliment

He's basically saying that people probably don't really want to LIVE in Detroit (who can blame them) but are willing to so they can play with one of the best organizations in all of sports. It was a compliment to the Red Wings.

:thumbup: Honestly half these posters make me wonder sometimes. It's as if they cant figure anything out...

None were really his fault except Ryan Smyth negotations.

Pronger Trade: Pronger apparently had an affair and needed to get out of Edmonten regardless of the cost as the fiasco was tearing the team apart. Lowe actually got very good return under the cirumstances.

Ryan Smyth Negotations: Lowe was lied to by Smyth. Anyone who says Smyth wanted to stay in EDM, is ignorant of the situation or a liar. Smyth was traded over a disagreement of around 100k. While Lowe coudlve bit the bullet, it sets a bad standard to other palyers and Smyth could ahve just as easily taken 100k less.

Penner:The oilers got SHUT OUT in free agency due to no one wanting to come. Nylander had even said verbally hed sign but his wife made him sign in Washington for less money. The oilers were out of options. Ditto for the souray deal. Do you really think they were Lowes first choice? Honestly even look at Edm this off season they offered BOATLOADS more money to Hossa and we still got them . They Offered over market value to Jagr too, but he didnt budge. people just dont want to go to EDM and thats a hard sell when your a gm

Guest mindfly

What's wrong with detroit??? comparing to like other cities with same size etc? Maybe it's hard for swedes to understand, can you explain any further? cause otherwise it was a really narrow statement by Lowe imo...

Edited by mindfly

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
What's wrong with detroit??? comparing to like other cities with same size etc? Maybe it's hard for swedes to understand, can you explain any further? cause otherwise it was a really narrow statement by Lowe imo...

Oh im sorry, i didnt know you werent a detroiter. May I ask how your awlays up this late if your in sweden ahhaha? not doubting just wondering.

As for your question, I know im going to get flamed for this but here you go. The City of Detroit, along with the whole state of Michigan is in a deep recession, lowering property values, and pretty much ******* up their economey. Detroit itself has been a s***hole of a city for a long time. Very few people with money live in downtown detroit they all commute from one of our nice suburan areas. Areas such as Bloomfield hills, the Novi/Northville area, ect. Also, the whether when compared to other states is s*** in the winter. Sure snow is nice for a bit but In michigan it stays so cold that the snow never seems to go away and it gets all sludgy and dirty. Not sure if i should be telling u that as u probably have it worse in sweden (whther wise)but oh well ahha

Actually its a compliment to the team.

Read it like this...

You could go live in LA where everyone wants to live or you could go to Detroit where there is a shot every year at winning a championship. You know no one wants to come to Edmonton over NY or LA, but when it comes to playing hockey it was once like that, and we really want to get back to there.

Give the guy a break, he did just slam Burke.

Edited by Majsheppard

Guest mindfly
Oh im sorry, i didnt know you werent a detroiter. May I ask how your awlays up this late if your in sweden ahhaha? not doubting just wondering.

As for your question, I know im going to get flamed for this but here you go. The City of Detroit, along with the whole state of Michigan is in a deep recession, lowering property values, and pretty much ******* up their economey. Detroit itself has been a s***hole of a city for a long time. Very few people with money live in downtown detroit they all commute from one of our nice suburan areas. Areas such as Bloomfield hills, the Novi/Northville area, ect. Also, the whether when compared to other states is s*** in the winter. Sure snow is nice for a bit but In michigan it stays so cold that the snow never seems to go away and it gets all sludgy and dirty. Not sure if i should be telling u that as u probably have it worse in sweden (whther wise)but oh well ahha

Well we're in GMT+1 which is 6hours ahead of U.S EST time, so time now is just over 7pm, not late if you ask me :P and i usually visit this forum once every hour or so til about 2-3am which is the time i go to bed... lol maybe i misunderstood you but oh well :P

Alright i get the content, economy is s*** in michigan.. pity :( How's it with the violence, lots of shootings and murder too right?

I live in northern sweden and we have snow from november to april and sometimes have -30C (dunno fahrenheit, imperial metric system sucks :P) so we're used to snow and cold winters :P

Edited by mindfly

Guest Four

It really depends on how you interpret this, but I see it as a compliment to the Red Wings organization. I'ver personally never had a problem with Lowe and hope to keep it that way.

Guest Four
Not one Red Wings player lives in the city of Detroit, so it's not even relevant.

They do during the season actually..