• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BeeRYCE

The closest "Future Yzerman"

Rate this topic

Steve Stamkos

Kyle Turris

Jonathan Toews

The above are 3 names that have been compared to Steve Yzerman. All 3 of which, more or less, are projected to have similar careers as Stevie Y. All 3 are leaders, hard workers, and point getters. I realize there will probably never be another guy like Yzerman to play the game, but which of the 3 strikes you as the closest to compare to Yzerman once it's all said and done?

My pick is Toews.

no one will ever be Yzerman, they might compare a player to him when he is being drafted but Stevie played through injuries that would keep these kids bed-ridden.....after what i saw stevie go through in 2002, being injured then gettin hurt while in the olympics, then coming back for the playoffs and leading the team in points even though after each game his knee had swelled up to the size of his head

there will only be 1 Stevie

no one will ever be Yzerman, they might compare a player to him when he is being drafted but Stevie played through injuries that would keep these kids bed-ridden.....after what i saw stevie go through in 2002, being injured then gettin hurt while in the olympics, then coming back for the playoffs and leading the team in points even though after each game his knee had swelled up to the size of his head

there will only be 1 Stevie

Not that I don't agree with you, but you don't know how these player could play through these injuries. Stevie was unfortunate to have these injuries, but there are ALOT of players with the passion and determination to fight through it. Look at Gary Roberts... The guy gets injured all the time and comes back into action mucking it up in corners and playing his heart out, even at 42-43 years old.

There will never be another Stevie in terms of heart, maybe never in terms of leadership, but in terms of being the face of a falling franchise and having the ability to turn it around with elite skill, solid play at both ends, leadership, and drive... There can be another player comparable to Stevie in the future.

Steve Stamkos

Kyle Turris

Jonathan Toews

The above are 3 names that have been compared to Steve Yzerman. All 3 of which, more or less, are projected to have similar careers as Stevie Y. All 3 are leaders, hard workers, and point getters. I realize there will probably never be another guy like Yzerman to play the game, but which of the 3 strikes you as the closest to compare to Yzerman once it's all said and done?

My pick is Toews.

I agree... I thought of Toews the second I saw the thread title.

Maybe Sam Gagner too? (I don't know too much about him thought)

Toews for sure. There will never be another true Yzerman, but Toews will be the next best thing. Unlike Stamkos and Turris (who are also gonna be greats someday) Toews will become a captain at a very young age. Even though he is a Blackhawk he is quickly becoming one of my favorites. His two way game will come in time. Even Yzerman wasn't a two way forward early in his career. Either way, in a few years I'd imagine Toews will become one of the best leaders in hockey.

I agree... I thought of Toews the second I saw the thread title.

Maybe Sam Gagner too? (I don't know too much about him thought)

Gagner and Peter Mueller have also struck similarities to Stevie, but to way lesser extents.

Toews for sure. There will never be another true Yzerman, but Toews will be the next best thing. Unlike Stamkos and Turris (who are also gonna be greats someday) Toews will become a captain at a very young age. Even though he is a Blackhawk he is quickly becoming one of my favorites. His two way game will come in time. Even Yzerman wasn't a two way forward early in his career. Either way, in a few years I'd imagine Toews will become one of the best leaders in hockey.

Toews is a pretty good two way player at this point. Way better than Kane, anyway.

It'll be Stamkos. He's right handed like Stevie, he's a good leader, he can play defence, and he's got the boyish good looks Stevie had as a young lad :D

I'm not one to judge looks on males, but Stamkos really isn't that great looking.

I compare debates like these, to when friends have babies. They always ask "Do you think he looks more like the mother or father??" It is a pointless question. The baby was just born, how the hell can you make a judgement like that? Wait 10 - 15 years and then ask. Same goes for sports atheletes. You can't judge rookies or sophomores based on a few years in the league. Give them 5+ years and then try again.

But if I absolutely must choose for arguements sake. I will go out to left field here and say Tavares.

OF THE THREE MENTIONED I THINK TOEWS HAS THE MOST TALENT, AND POTENTIAL. I THINK HE WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY FAIRLY WELL BOTH WAYS AND HE HAS A LOT TO OFFER TO THE HAWKS.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER STEVIE Y AS LONG AS I LIVE. THERE'S JUST NO COMPARISON, NO ONE CAN DO IT LIKE HIM

OF THE THREE MENTIONED I THINK TOEWS HAS THE MOST TALENT, AND POTENTIAL. I THINK HE WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY FAIRLY WELL BOTH WAYS AND HE HAS A LOT TO OFFER TO THE HAWKS.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER STEVIE Y AS LONG AS I LIVE. THERE'S JUST NO COMPARISON, NO ONE CAN DO IT LIKE HIM

Dude.... Capslock....

I never really liked the "next ___" question. I am not trashing just saying it is not possible. There will never be the "next" Yzerman, Wayne, Messier. If they are truly the "next" somebody then they would not need to be the "next" they would be the Toews, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Ovechkin and so on and so on. As soon as they become the "next" anybody they have made thier own image.

Does that make any sense.... :unsure:

Zetterbergs game most reminds me of Yzerman. Not the best shot but great instincts. Always makes the big play when ya need it most. Top notch two way forward. Smallish guy thats not afraid to go into the high traffic areas.