• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vangvace

Which starting lineup would be better

Rate this topic

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So another forum got me thinking starting 5... They're thinking that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Lidstrom, Rafalski will be one of the best in the past 15 years. Russian 5 immediately came to mind as better.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is any question. ZDHLR is by far more talented.

The Russian Five included the top forward and defenseman in the world, as well as three other very good players who have very good chemistry with them.

The current 'power' unit includes three of the top ten forwards, and two of the top five defensemen. Beyond that, it includes the best defenseman, two players who could be argued as the best forward, and another top-five defenseman. No player on the Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Hossa/Lidstrom/Rafalski unit is outside the top five in the world at his position. All of the players on the unit are very good at both ends of the ice. That's SICK. Last time I can remember something like this in terms of talent compared to other players was if Detroit had iced a Shanahan/Yzerman/Fedorov/Lidstrom/Konstantinov unit during the 1997 season. And even that unit is probably not as good, due to the fact that Shanahan was no better than average defensively.

Yeah, ZDHLR has more raw talent, and maybe more chemistry when it comes to Datsyuk/Zetterberg and two capable pointmen, along with pending chemistry from Hossa. The Russian 5 wasn't even the best line on the team, even though they were spectacular.

i personaly like the z Dats Hossa rafi and lids line

lots of offensive talent

but can shut u down on D just as easy then take the puck down the ice score laugh in ur face and then do it some more

good luck shutting down that line

i am psyched to see this line top line on the ice next year. It is going to be one of the best top lines in years. i've heard hossa might go on the second line with Flip but i dont want to see that happen.

I would take that line with OZZIE in goal any day.

...I would have loved to see the Russian 5 together, in their hey day, with the NEW NHL rules...

...I think that may be the most exciting unit in the league! Although, not many players could catch them to impede them, but man, if they would have had free reign of the ice like in todays game, WOW!

Ya I really hope they put Hossa on the top line...I can't wait to watch that line in action..

woooooooooo

Get Holmstroms straight blade off the ice...blah....

That, my friend, is one sic line. Can't wait to see the first game.

If that is the first line, what do you think of the "would be second line" then, Holmer, Filp, and Franzen? Would that work, or are Holmer and Franzie too similar to have on the ice together?

That, my friend, is one sic line. Can't wait to see the first game.

If that is the first line, what do you think of the "would be second line" then, Holmer, Filp, and Franzen? Would that work, or are Holmer and Franzie too similar to have on the ice together?

I've been thinking about that since we signed him. I think it could work out, we've seen that Franzen can do more than just being Homer's backup when it's needed. Homer plays his role better than anyone in the NHL but Franzen is learning. I think that if Franzen could play more on the same line as him he could learn a thing or two. Of course you got to give him credit for being part of the best line in the NHL. Sure, some ppl say "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" but as we all know Hossa is capable of scoring more points than Homer. If they could find some chemistry together, I think this line could potentially be one of the deadliest lines we've seen in a while.

We have all season to mess around with the lineup to see what goes best and what not but if there's no chemistry for the new ZDH then I'd say put Hossa in the 2nd line at all costs. We've seen what happened when Colorado tried bringing the magic out of Selanne and Kariya a couple years back and we all know how that worked out. Hossa will be surrounded with better talent and experience than those two were and I think his style of hockey fits the Red Wings style very well so there will be some chemistry in any line he plays in. He's one of those versatile players that are just overall good to have around.

I've been thinking about that since we signed him. I think it could work out, we've seen that Franzen can do more than just being Homer's backup when it's needed. Homer plays his role better than anyone in the NHL but Franzen is learning. I think that if Franzen could play more on the same line as him he could learn a thing or two. Of course you got to give him credit for being part of the best line in the NHL. Sure, some ppl say "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" but as we all know Hossa is capable of scoring more points than Homer. If they could find some chemistry together, I think this line could potentially be one of the deadliest lines we've seen in a while.

We have all season to mess around with the lineup to see what goes best and what not but if there's no chemistry for the new ZDH then I'd say put Hossa in the 2nd line at all costs. We've seen what happened when Colorado tried bringing the magic out of Selanne and Kariya a couple years back and we all know how that worked out. Hossa will be surrounded with better talent and experience than those two were and I think his style of hockey fits the Red Wings style very well so there will be some chemistry in any line he plays in. He's one of those versatile players that are just overall good to have around.

And to have the flexiblity to mix up the top two lines like that, moving Hossa up and down, Zetterburg up and down, Holmstrom...OMG its gonna be one exciting season.

Russian 5 had good chemistry and good talent, this line potentially has endless talent and good chemistry, if Hossa fits in well then I'd say ZDHLR > R5

woooooooooo

Get Holmstroms straight blade off the ice...blah....

Well if he doesn't score off his ass legs or torso and actually puts it in with his stick, its usually off the shaft anyway, so I don't think he's too concerned with the curvature of his blade

Edited by #19forPresident!

I voted for the Russian 5 because at this point in time the Russian 5 has a proven track record, the "new 5" may not ever even play even strength.

Give me the proven entity over the unproven!

There's more talent with the ZDHLR line, but there's no guarantee they'll be as cohesive as the Russian 5 were.

I still picked the ZDHLR line. For Christ's-sake, just imagine what it would look like having Z and Hossa being set up all day by Dats knowing you have two of the top 5 Dmen in the league covering your back. Terrifying.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

...I would have loved to see the Russian 5 together, in their hey day, with the NEW NHL rules...

...I think that may be the most exciting unit in the league! Although, not many players could catch them to impede them, but man, if they would have had free reign of the ice like in todays game, WOW!

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

I think the current lineup is probably better, but man, what I wouldn't give if they could return the Russian 5 to their prime and put them on the ice against the boys we have now to see what would happen. That would be a hockey dream come true.

As far as next season's lines, I'm all for experimenting, but if I had to wager on it, I'd bet Z and Dats will stick with Homer, and Flip and Mule will be with Hossa. Not saying that's carved in stone by any means. Anything could happen once we start seeing how they fit together chemistry-wise. No matter how we stack them, we've got killer top two lines.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

I think the current lineup is probably better, but man, what I wouldn't give if they could return the Russian 5 to their prime and put them on the ice against the boys we have now to see what would happen. That would be a hockey dream come true.

As far as next season's lines, I'm all for experimenting, but if I had to wager on it, I'd bet Z and Dats will stick with Homer, and Flip and Mule will be with Hossa. Not saying that's carved in stone by any means. Anything could happen once we start seeing how they fit together chemistry-wise. No matter how we stack them, we've got killer top two lines.

Think I am going to disagree with you. For the bulk of the season i see Datsyuk playing with Hossa and Homer on the first line, with Z, Franzen and Filp on the second.

Reason being, homer and franzen will be split up on the first two lines, then its just a matter of mix and matching Zetterberg, Dats, Hossa, and Filp together to get the best one two punch.

damn... zetterberg, datsyuk, hossa, lidstrom, ralf. unbelievable 5 players.

no one in the league can match that line.

I'd rather they threw Hoss on the second line to have two dangerous lines then just one. Yeah, they sound like a terror but they can't play all 60 minutes of the game. That would be a good power play line though.

Remember game 5 of the Pens series? When Z and D got split up. Both lines played very well. Maybe because it was the end of the game, but I can see next year Dats playing with Hossa, Franzen with Z, and Filppula/Homer somewhere in there.

That would be sick.

Guest LivingtheDream

Could we see this line on a pp? Jesus! Reminds me of the playoffs in 02. On a pp we put out (I think) Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, Lidstrom and Federov. Jesus H Christ, what a line! They scored.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Could we see this line on a pp? Jesus! Reminds me of the playoffs in 02. On a pp we put out (I think) Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, Lidstrom and Federov. Jesus H Christ, what a line! They scored.

Carolina game 3 to force Overtime? remember that play vividly. Hull had the sweetest tip