• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

The Great Brett Favre Kerfuffle of 2008

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AufK...p&type=lgns

WOW!! #4 has asked to be let go from the Pack, virtually saying that he wants to play somewhere else. I cant even imagine seeing #4 play for Chicago or Minnesota going against GB. Wonder what NFM#25 and other Pack fans in here think about this.

Can you imagine if #4 came to Detroit?!?!?! :yowza:

I think it's rediculous of him to pull this. he's trying to put the Packers in a tough position. He's played this game for several years about retiring and now wants to play with another team.

alot of people don't know this: after he retired in early march he called up the Packers and said he wanted to un-retire and come back, this was in late March, the Packers said OK and actually chartered a jet to go down to MS to announce this. 2 days later he called them back up and said he didn't want to come back, so everything got cancelled. The packers drafted 2 furture back up QB's in April and now this???

story here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678?MSNHPHMA

I think for people to hate on the packers and GM Ted Thompson for this is all wrong. He's been a real drama queen about all this and this is pretty gutless of him IMO. There are the usual conspiracy theories about TT and the Packers don't want him back but they clearly were ready to accept him back after he retired in early March only for him to change his mind --again.

and for him to ask for a release-- that's the worst thing the Packers could do as they'd get no value for him in a trade, he'd be free to sign with any team (Minn and Chi need QB's) and some fans would twist it as the Packers fault.

I've been a Packers fan my whole life but no player, and I mean no player, is bigger than the team, including Brett Lorenzo Favre. We've had alot of great HOF's play for us, we've won 12 Championships. If some fans want to blame the Packers organization on this I say: Don't hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon. :)

The Green Bay Packers 12 Time World Champions 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996

I know the Pack fans would love to have Favre back, but if I was Aaron Rodgers and Favre was coming back for another year, I would try to get traded or released. In hindsight, he probably should have pulled an Eli Manning and told the Packers he would sit out a year if they drafted him.

According to Steve Mariucci, Favre has made it pretty clear that his first choice is to play for the Packers. If the option is play for someone else or don't play at all, he'd choose to play for someone else.

It's not as if the Packers really want him back and he's asking to be released.

I was 100% convinced that Thompson was in the wrong on this one until I read Glaser's report about him unretiring and then retiring again in March. Now I better understand why Green Bay has reacted the way that they have.

I don't blame Favre for wanting to come back and play football if he thinks he still can. I don't blame the Packers (entirely) for wanting to move on. It's just sad that it has come to this.

My problem is that the window is open right now for the Packers. If they had gone 7-9 last year, I'd have no problem with the idea that it was time to move on. But they went 13-3 and were one play from making the Super Bowl. The window is open and even though the Packers have a nice young core, with guys like Driver, Clifton, Tauscher, Woodson, and Harris getting up there in age, there's no guarantee that they're still going to be a legit contender when Rodgers is ready to lead the team deep into the playoffs. They're a contender NOW. And Favre gives them a much better chance to win now.

The Packers won't flat out release him, and they shouldn't. There's absolutely no way I let that guy go the Minnesota Vikings. They'd be the immediate favorite in the NFC. And that's probably where Favre would go if he had his druthers. Not to stick it to the Packers, but because it's a similar offense, they have arguably the best running back and best OL in the NFL, they have a great defense, they play indoors so there's not a real worry about an outdoor playoff game in the cold (though the Giants game was once-every-twenty-years cold), his golfing buddy is on the team (Longwell), and a good friend/previous coach of his is the OC.

To me, you take Favre back and throw Aaron Rodgers a nice bonus to account for the fact that he's not hitting the escalators in his contract. Hell, if they're confident enough in Rodgers to think about letting Favre go, then sign him to a nice extension right now. It gives the team the best chance to win NOW (with Favre back), it affirms their confidence in Rodgers as the QB of the future, and while he's still probably cranky that he's not getting to play, he gets a nice chunk of change. Also it avoids a massive PR nightmare. If they aren't confident enough in him to pay Rodgers at this point, then they shouldn't be thinking of dumping Favre.

QBs like Favre don't come along very often. Chances are, Aaron Rodgers isn't one of them. I don't see any reason to push the sure thing out the door, especially when the window of opportunity is wide open and the legend is still playing at a level that Rodgers can only HOPE to achieve.

I realize that Favre's waffling has been an inconvenience. They probably don't draft Brohm if Favre had said he was staying. But apart from that, what's changed since March? Who cares that he missed a few OTAs--they've let him skip those in the past anyway. They changed a bit of the playbook to play to Rodgers's strengths? That's great. I'm sure they haven't thrown the old playbook away, and now they're better prepared for Rodgers to start at some point in the future. And Rodgers got some extra playing time, which is good.

Rodgers is a smart guy. He'd realize that taking Favre back isn't a slap in the face to him, or an indication that they don't think he's good. And Ted Thompson can get over having his master plan delayed by another year. If you've got one of the elite QBs in the league, why push him out the door just to find out if Aaron Rodgers is decent? It's stupid.

I don't know who I'd root for if Favre played a Packers team in the postseason. Most likely, I would take no joy in the game, whatsoever, and root for whoever ended up winning to go all the way. But if he plays for another team, I'll have a 1 and 1a this year in my NFL rooting interests.

My worry if they let Favre go isn't that Rodgers wouldn't do well. It's that Brian Brohm would end up QBing this team by week 6. If they let Favre go and Rodgers is either ineffective or gets injured, it would be an absolute disaster for Ted Thompson.

I'd take Favre back in a heartbeat, even if it eventually costs me Rodgers (which I don't think it would).

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that Al Jones, the reporter in Mississippi who is a friend of Favre's and was writing a book with him during the offseason, claimed to know nothing of the claim that Favre thought about un-retiring in March.

Jones said Favre never mentioned any desire in March to come back. The two were putting the finishing touches on Jones’ book about Favre’s career at that time and Favre seemed convinced he was finished, Jones said. It wasn’t until Jones caught up with Favre in June that he saw the quarterback had been working out and throwing at a nearby high school, clearly preparing to get in training-camp shape.

“That (the Fox report) is news to me . . . ” Jones said. “He would have told me. There was no indication to me that anything like that had happened.”

Per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Edited by Packer487

To me, you take Favre back and throw Aaron Rodgers a nice bonus to account for the fact that he's not hitting the escalators in his contract. Hell, if they're confident enough in Rodgers to think about letting Favre go, then sign him to a nice extension right now. It gives the team the best chance to win NOW (with Favre back), it affirms their confidence in Rodgers as the QB of the future, and while he's still probably cranky that he's not getting to play, he gets a nice chunk of change. Also it avoids a massive PR nightmare. If they aren't confident enough in him to pay Rodgers at this point, then they shouldn't be thinking of dumping Favre.

I think I'd be a little insulted if I were Rodgers, even with the bonus. It'd feel like hush money: "OK kid, I know it was gonna be your time, but the big man's back, so here's some extra cash, and oh by the way we'd appreciate it if you wouldn't really make any waves, alrighty?"

It's a tough situation for the Packers. Very tough. You bring Favre back, Rodgers probably gets pissed. He's been patient. Could make for some rough times in the locker room. You release him and he goes to another team and beats the Packers, that makes for a PR disaster.

I'm really getting tired of Favre's antics to be honest. It was the same way with Roger Clemens. Look, don't "retire" if you've still got the drive to play. Be honest with yourself. It smacks of attention-whoring and selfishness. At the same time, though, I'm a Lions fan, and watching the Packers squirm is loads and loads of fun.

Couldn't agree more; should've been man enough @ the end of the season, & tell it like it is - wanting outta Green Bay, but allowing the team to move him @ the draft to the highest bidder...Instead he pulls this crap.

He should've been a man at the end of the season and asked out of Green Bay? That doesn't even make sense.

The guy's first, second, and third choice is to be the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. Since he retired that's not an option since they've got a guy they're anxious to see in Aaron Rodgers. So the option is play for someone else or don't play. He stated his preference to play for someone else.

If he would have stated his desire to come back in April, they wouldn't have moved him at the draft to the highest bidder. He'd still be this team's QB.

I can understand the team tiring of his inability to make a decision, but I still say you have to take a run at it when the window is open because you never know if the team will be in this position again.

I think I'd be a little insulted if I were Rodgers, even with the bonus. It'd feel like hush money: "OK kid, I know it was gonna be your time, but the big man's back, so here's some extra cash, and oh by the way we'd appreciate it if you wouldn't really make any waves, alrighty?"

It would be doing right by a player who hasn't had a chance to hit the escalators in his contract, and would be denied another opportunity if Favre came back to start.

It's a tough situation, no doubt. Then again, so many teams in this league have s*** at QB, I suppose it's a nice problem to have. If they didn't have a backup QB that they liked a ton, they'd be on their hands and knees begging Favre to return.

All Rodgers wants to do is play. If #4 comes back this year to GB, then I would want out if i was #12. Rodgers can go to a lot of teams to play.

I find it hard to believe that GB will have another dream season like last year. May still make the playoffs but no way do they get to the Super Bowl this year.

It would be doing right by a player who hasn't had a chance to hit the escalators in his contract, and would be denied another opportunity if Favre came back to start.

Let me put it this way: as a Lions fan, I hope Rodgers can be bought like that. Personally that's how I'd feel: bought. For the Packers' sake, actually playing, especially when promised the chance, should be at least equally as important as the money.

Sure, there's not even a snowball's chance that Rodgers will be as good as Favre. But you'll have Rodgers for longer. Personally I admire Thompson's move yesterday: Yes, Brett, you can come back and hold the clipboard. That takes cojones.

All Rodgers wants to do is play. If #4 comes back this year to GB, then I would want out if i was #12. Rodgers can go to a lot of teams to play.

I find it hard to believe that GB will have another dream season like last year. May still make the playoffs but no way do they get to the Super Bowl this year.

I agree.

The thing that frustrates me about Favre is he had his emotional presser in late spring, but now says 'he never feels like playing then'. Well, why did you announce at that time then? Why not skip workouts, and make you announcement now? If he did that I would have no problem with it, because thats his right, but like BRTD said he is reaching attention ***** status.

Maybe Tim, or other GB's fans will explain, but I don't understand why everyone thinks Rogers will be such a drop from Favre. By, no means am I saying Rogers is better then Favre right now, but Rogers was a 1st rounder, and learned/matured much more then other former 1st round QB's have time to before they are thrown in the fire. On top of that he learned from Favre. When 1st round QB's get lucky enough to sit their first year they usually watch a bum like Joey Harrington, or a McCown type player.

I would love to see Farve in Detroit so he can ruin his career by putting up the worst numbers of his lifetime as a QB.

It would put a big smile on my face

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AufK...p&type=lgns

WOW!! #4 has asked to be let go from the Pack, virtually saying that he wants to play somewhere else. I cant even imagine seeing #4 play for Chicago or Minnesota going against GB. Wonder what NFM#25 and other Pack fans in here think about this.

Can you imagine if #4 came to Detroit?!?!?! :yowza:

yea or he has hung up his helmet for good i am a dyeheat pack fan too and i just cant imagian him playing for the lions

The Packers won't flat out release him, and they shouldn't. There's absolutely no way I let that guy go the Minnesota Vikings. They'd be the immediate favorite in the NFC. And that's probably where Favre would go if he had his druthers. Not to stick it to the Packers, but because it's a similar offense, they have arguably the best running back and best OL in the NFL, they have a great defense, they play indoors so there's not a real worry about an outdoor playoff game in the cold (though the Giants game was once-every-twenty-years cold), his golfing buddy is on the team (Longwell), and a good friend/previous coach of his is the OC.

Granted I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want to see him in Minnesota either. I like my choke artists the way they are. :lol: Although they have said that if he comes to the Vikings, we're pretty much guaranteed a new stadium; not that I was aware that there was that much wrong with the the Dome other than it does need some repairs. But then I may have some emotional attachment there, which I'm sure people can understand that.

I don't know...the whole situation just really annoys me. And not just because I live on the border of Viking/Packer territory and it gets pretty intense during football season (although hockey and downhill skiing are the only sports that manage to hold my interest). But I get annoyed with the whole I'm retiring...no I'm not...yes I am...no I'm not, no matter what the sport.

It seems pretty unfair of him to expect everyone to just rearrange things just for him, no matter how good he was (or still is) (again, don't follow the sport so much....it's been a few years since I last saw him play). It's one thing to "retire" and come back due to an injury or something but to waffle on it like this; I think he's going to lose a lot of fans this way.

I didn't know anything about this until the other night when someone showed me the paper at work. I honestly thought he was gone for good. Wish he'd make up his damn mind and stop leaving everyone in limbo like that; it's just not right. And the packers have every right to be pissed and make it as hard as possible for him.

The thing that frustrates me about Favre is he had his emotional presser in late spring, but now says 'he never feels like playing then'. Well, why did you announce at that time then? Why not skip workouts, and make you announcement now? If he did that I would have no problem with it, because thats his right, but like BRTD said he is reaching attention ***** status.

Maybe Tim, or other GB's fans will explain, but I don't understand why everyone thinks Rogers will be such a drop from Favre. By, no means am I saying Rogers is better then Favre right now, but Rogers was a 1st rounder, and learned/matured much more then other former 1st round QB's have time to before they are thrown in the fire. On top of that he learned from Favre. When 1st round QB's get lucky enough to sit their first year they usually watch a bum like Joey Harrington, or a McCown type player.

With the thing in March, here's what I believe would be a perfectly rational explanation:

The Packers wanted a decision early in the offseason. Favre couldn't commit 100% to wanting to play at that point, so he did the responsible thing and retired. Retiring and then coming out of retirement would be much less of a problem (Believe it or not) than saying you were coming back and then realizing come July, "Man, I really can't do this again..."

You can't tell me that if Favre had said, "I need more time to think about it," and dragged it out until June/July that people wouldn't have been ripping him for holding the team hostage, being wishy-washy, and being an attention *****. He made the decision he thought was right, and he got it wrong. I have no problem with him wanting to remedy the situation.

I don't necessarily think Rodgers will be a huge dropoff from Favre. I'm on the record several times over saying that I think he's going to be a darn good quarterback. My biggest concern is that he's made of glass. I don't doubt his skills for a second. I doubt his ability to stay healthy, and if they let Favre go and Rodgers gets hurt, they might as well write off the season.

Grain of salt because it's ProFootballTalk, but they're reporting that the Packers would be fine with Favre coming back and competing with Rodgers for the starting job. Works for me. Brett would win.

If nothing else, Green Bay has been handling the situation with significantly more tact in the last day or so. I appreciated Thompson's comments reminding people that Favre has done nothing wrong by changing his mind (even changing his mind repeatedly). God knows I have a hard time making decisions sometimes, and I've never been faced with anything of this magnitude; whether to give up something that I've done for my entire life.

Don't have a link to this story but there were about 200 fans who were "protesting" outside Lambeau Field chanting phrases like "Bring Back Brett" and "Favre for President"

200??? Seriously. He's the god of football in the teams' history and you can only get 200 fans.

I could get more students at the local high school to protest they hate meatloaf...

I don't necessarily think Rodgers will be a huge dropoff from Favre.

You have got to be kidding. #4 is a surefire hall of famer. He has won a Super Bowl. To me there is no debate that #4 is one of the greatest QBs ever.

ANY qb the packers use after #4 will be a huge dropoff.

Don't have a link to this story but there were about 200 fans who were "protesting" outside Lambeau Field chanting phrases like "Bring Back Brett" and "Favre for President"

200??? Seriously. He's the god of football in the teams' history and you can only get 200 fans.

I could get more students at the local high school to protest they hate meatloaf...

actually several local media reports said that "about 100" fans protested.

funny as heck,

They didn't publicize it at all really. I read that someone was trying to get a rally together and then never heard anything else about it until there was an article about how it already happened. You aren't going to get people to show up by randomly calling phone numbers in the Green Bay white pages...

You have got to be kidding. #4 is a surefire hall of famer. He has won a Super Bowl. To me there is no debate that #4 is one of the greatest QBs ever.

ANY qb the packers use after #4 will be a huge dropoff.

I think Rodgers is going to be a fine football player and I think it's entirely likely he'd be the best QB in the NFC North this year if he plays. Is he Brett Favre? No. But I also wouldn't go thinking that Green Bay will suddenly become Chicago at the QB position. If he stays healthy. I'm sure there'd be a dropoff, but I also think Green Bay would still be just fine at the QB position as long as Rodgers doesn't get hurt.

Edited by Packer487

I thought the same thing with Clemens in/out retirement, I'm saying the same thing with Forseberg trying to come back from injury for the countlessth time, I'm saying the same thing with Favre...

Who am I to tell an individual to just quit his or her career or doing the thing that he/she loves for a living? If Favre thinks he still has gas left in the tank, more power to him if he does come out of retirement and can still work and perform at a level he's comfortable with. It'd be cool to see that happen I think.

In terms with Aaron Rodgers, sure I'd think he'd like to start. It cannot be personal though or he cannot go apes**t on the Packers or Brett Favre if he returns to the Packers. Aaron Rogers has to worry about Aaron Rogers.

For the Packers organization, I understand their latest stance (I am assuming) in saying that Rodgers is the starter. It is business, not personal with an icon. If I were a major part of managment, I'd definitely welcome Favre back, but he has to compete to get his #1 job back, not have it handed to him.

Am I not the only one that thinks #4 and the Packers organization are ruining what SHOULD be a great retirement of a living legend?

I also think that #4 is an attention *****. He likes everyone talking about this. In or Out #4, pick a side. Packers organization, take him back or cut him....do either one. Let him go where he wants to go. He has earned that right.

Am I not the only one that thinks #4 and the Packers organization are ruining what SHOULD be a great retirement of a living legend?

Thought the exact same thing! If he never plays again most people (except probably GB fans) will remember how he went out instead of the other things he should have been remembered for.

It must be contagious, because I've flip-flopped a couple of times today:

It's pretty clear whose side I'm on based on my posts on this board. I've worn a Brett Favre jersey the past four days (I have several) and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Then I read some quotes today in the lead up to the interview about Favre saying he didn't want to be traded because it would "cede control to the Packers" and that he "wouldn't come to Green Bay to backup Aaron Rodgers" and I started to think he was being very unreasonable. That realistically there's no way GB would release him and so he better get used to the idea that they'd trade him--and would likely let him have input into his new location.

Now, having read the transcript of the interview tonight (the situation just makes me sad, and we watch "Saving Grace" anyway, so I figured I didn't need to see it live) I'm back on Brett's side:

I fully believe that the Packers pressured him into making a decision in March and that he did the responsible thing and retired. If he wasn't 100% committed to coming back at that point, there was no way he could tell them he was coming back. If he announced he was coming back and then retired at this point (rather than vice-versa), he would've COMPLETELY screwed the team over. At this point, they're in an uncomfortable situation, but the option is either having Favre-Rodgers-Brohm or Rodgers-Brohm-Flynn. Neither is bad. If Favre announces a comeback and then goes Barry Sanders on us, our QB depth chart looks like this: Aaron Rodgers. Perhaps Rodgers-Flynn.

If Favre was, in fact, told that playing in Green Bay wasn't an option and yet they couldn't envision him playing for another team, the Packers are being even more unreasonable than Favre was when he asked for his outright release. The team should not have any control over a player's desire to continue his career. If they really wanted to, they would have the right to say "You can come back, but we aren't moving you. You'll stay on our team." It would be a low move to pull against a player that has done so much for the organization, but if they really wanted to that's their right as he signed the contract. But you can't say "You can't play here AND we're not moving you." That's crap.

If Mike McCarthy did in fact tell Favre that they would have let him wait until training camp to announce his intentions, then the only thing that has changed is that the team has believed for three months that Aaron Rodgers would be the starting QB. They would have had to approach the draft and free agency as if Favre wasn't coming back. They would have gone through the OTAs under the assumption that Favre wasn't coming back. They would have added some Aaron Rodgers plays to the playbook in case he became the starter. It's absolute BS that they won't take Favre back if it's true that they were willing to wait until training camp for him to make up his mind, and just didn't inform him of that.

I love Brett Favre. People can talk about how "He didn't make this team what it was" all they want to. That is true. Without his line or without Reggie, without Holmgren, maybe they don't accomplish everything they accomplished. He didn't win the Super Bowl by himself. But he did provide some of the greatest sports memories that I have. Memories that I will cherish my entire life. I've got DVD after DVD filled with all of our wins from the last 2 years along with some of the classics over the years that I've been able to find. I even have a couple from that dreadful 4-12 year. The reason I have them is simply so that once Brett Favre is gone, I'll be able to go back and watch him play again. I know the Packers were around for years before Favre came and they'll be around long after he's gone. But for me, it's never going to be the same. I'll still love this team. I'll still cheer my head off for them. I'll still go to games and cherish the moment when I do. But I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never have as much fun watching football as I have had watching Brett Favre. Maybe I'm just an oversentimental fuddy-duddy, but I want another chance to see him in the green and gold. I'm not ready for this era to end. If we were 7-9 last year I could understand wanting to move on, but we were 13-3 and 1 play from the Super Bowl. Favre had one of the best seasons of his career. Why are we so anxious to see the quarterback of the future, when the quarterback of the past and present still wants to play?

I do understand why the Packers would want to move on after Favre flip-flopped in March. What I don't understand is, if they were in fact willing to let him wait until training camp to decide, what has changed? Why not, at the point of the flip-flop, tell him, "Brett, take some more time, and talk to us again when camp gets here"? It's now training camp. The man wants to play. Sure Rodgers would be disappointed, but he's smart enough to know that Favre is a special player and taking Favre back isn't saying anything negative about Rodgers.

I'm sure Favre knows how this is making him look. The JSO had a poll and only like 47% of the fans want to see him back as the QB at this point. That would have been unfathomable in January. He's coming across looking really bad (though I think he helped himself tonight). But is it not understandable that they forced him into a decision and he did the responsible thing, and now wishes he had made the other choice? He's having to swallow an unbelievable amount of pride to come out of retirement after that press conference he had. But the man wants to play. And I don't see how anyone can fault him for that.

I'm sick of seeing the fans turn on him for not doing anything wrong. Could he have handled things better? Sure. He should have spoken well before tonight and not allowed his family, friends, and text messages say it all. Could the organization have handled it better? Absolutely. They could have started by being honest with him--either having the balls to tell him in the first place that they wanted to move on, or given him the time he needed to make a decision he could live with. In the end, I'm inclined to believe what Favre is saying. GMs are notorious liars. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but I'd bet it's closer to Favre's version.

Two of the most cherished figures in the history of the Packers retired and then came back: Reggie White and Vince Lombardi. Were either of them selfish, unreasonable, or tarnishing their legacy? No. The hate that's been spewed for Favre is, to me, completely ridiculous. Yes, he's waffled and the will-he-or-won't-he game is tiresome at best and attention whoring at worst. But it's hard to blame a guy for wanting to play if he thinks he still can...

Thought the exact same thing! If he never plays again most people (except probably GB fans) will remember how he went out instead of the other things he should have been remembered for.

I don't buy that for a second. In the short-term, you're probably right. In the long-term? It's going to be a non-issue. Does anyone actually remember Reggie White's year in Carolina? Did it hurt his legacy whatsoever? Not in my book.

What about Vince Lombardi coaching the Redskins for a year? Honestly, if I hadn't read a biography of him, I don't think I'd know about that one.

Montana as a Chief? Jordan as a Wizard? Did that diminish anything they did with San Fran or Chicago? Nope. And those years definitely don't define their careers.

Do people remember Joe Namath for his guaranteed Super Bowl win or his ill-advised year as a Ram?

Slightly different, but do people remember Bart Starr as one of the great QBs of all-time, or as a pretty awful coach?

These great memories will live on. Even 5, 10 years from now, people really aren't going to care how Favre retired, just that he broke every passing record in the book, won a Super Bowl, and was arguably the most entertaining player of his era.

The only way this possible season with a different team is anything more than an afterthought on his career is if he ends up going to/winning the Super Bowl or wins MVP. If he's merely good, no one will care that much. If he isn't good, they'll say he hung on too long, but it won't be mentioned years from now. Just like it hasn't been with Reggie White or some of those other guys I mentioned....

Edited by Packer487

Packer487...You really love Brett!!

Green Bay would be stupid to release him. Trade? Yeah, then they won't f*** themselves to much.

Trade him to Philly. Isn't that what he wanted a couple years ago??