• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

The Great Brett Favre Kerfuffle of 2008

Rate this topic

And so it begins again. I knew it. I knew it'd be foolish to believe this guy when he claims he's retired - for the fifth friggin' time. I used to have respect for Favre. Maybe he was this way all the time, or maybe he's taken a few too many knocks to the head, but this ******* is clearly as big a spoiled prima donna as Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens. Seriously. Go the f*** away.

I think he is worse than Ocho Cinco and TO. #4 is ruining his legacy this way. A classic case of a player that should have retired a long time ago. Now he is just a joke.

And so it begins again. I knew it. I knew it'd be foolish to believe this guy when he claims he's retired - for the fifth friggin' time. I used to have respect for Favre. Maybe he was this way all the time, or maybe he's taken a few too many knocks to the head, but this ******* is clearly as big a spoiled prima donna as Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens. Seriously. Go the f*** away.

Agree 100%. Give it up old man river.

And Timothy that SI cover is epic!

As a huge Packers and (former) Favre fan, here's my two cents: I think Favre is being a childish, spiteful baby about this whole thing. He hates Ted Thompson (the Packers GM for those that don't know)....so do I, but he's not just sticking it to Thompson if he plays for the Vikings, he's sticking it to every Packers fan that not only idolized him, but also had the utmost respect for him. I know he thinks this is just about getting even with Thompson, but its *not*. While he's off trying to settle a score he's destroying the relationship he's ever had with the Packers franchise. It was a tough enough pill to swallow last season seeing him don another jersey, but to wear the Vikings jersey is something that isn't acceptable for someone in his shoes. Imagine Yzerman heading over to finish his career with the Avalanche to "stick-it" to Holland. It's just not right.

As I said, Favre needs to grow the f*** up and let it go, because this is way bigger than just sticking it to Thompson. This is a big "f*** You" to the entire Packers organization and especially its fan base.

My note to Brett Favre: Pull this one off and I'll be the first to say "f*** You".

Sidenote: This board knows how even-keeled I am, so for me to make the above post should speak volumes about my feelings toward the situation.

As a huge Packers and (former) Favre fan, here's my two cents: I think Favre is being a childish, spiteful baby about this whole thing. He hates Ted Thompson (the Packers GM for those that don't know)....so do I, but he's not just sticking it to Thompson if he plays for the Vikings, he's sticking it to every Packers fan that not only idolized him, but also had the utmost respect for him. I know he thinks this is just about getting even with Thompson, but its *not*. While he's off trying to settle a score he's destroying the relationship he's ever had with the Packers franchise. It was a tough enough pill to swallow last season seeing him don another jersey, but to wear the Vikings jersey is something that isn't acceptable for someone in his shoes. Imagine Yzerman heading over to finish his career with the Avalanche to "stick-it" to Holland. It's just not right.

As I said, Favre needs to grow the f*** up and let it go, because this is way bigger than just sticking it to Thompson. This is a big "f*** You" to the entire Packers organization and especially its fan base.

My note to Brett Favre: Pull this one off and I'll be the first to say "f*** You".

Sidenote: This board knows how even-keeled I am, so for me to make the above post should speak volumes about my feelings toward the situation.

I am not surprised one bit on this post NFM#25. I wonder if the Packers organization can even retire #4 now. They should but maybe it will be forced to happen 5+ years after he retires for good.

His legacy has surely been ruined now.

I am not surprised one bit on this post NFM#25. I wonder if the Packers organization can even retire #4 now. They should but maybe it will be forced to happen 5+ years after he retires for good.

His legacy has surely been ruined now.

I've wracked my brain about this very issue. My dad and I were discussing this and his contention (which I agreed with as well) is that wherever he goes, doesn't change what he's accomplished. While I agree with that and feel his number should be retired, now the ceremony will absolutely have to wait for 5 years if not more. He's created such an enemy of himself that retiring his number in a town that's now beyond furious with him would be a tough sell and a frigid ceremony.

Bottom line....everything I used to think about Brett Favre and his legend has been completely wiped away and I don't care if I ever hear about him again. Think about what someone would have to do to make one of his biggest supporters feel this way in only a years' time. Mind-boggling.

Bottom line....everything I used to think about Brett Favre and his legend has been completely wiped away and I don't care if I ever hear about him again. Think about what someone would have to do to make one of his biggest supporters feel this way in only a years' time. Mind-boggling.

Well if you've got anything cool that you'd be looking to part with, let me know.

I don't blame the guy a bit. I really don't. This all started because he DARED to change his mind and the Packers said "Choo choo! The train left the station!" They made their decision. They decided they didn't want him anymore. That he couldn't get it done in the playoffs. That it was time to move on.

Well, the guy felt he could still play. He went to the Jets because the Packers had the leverage last year. They had the cap room to keep him on the roster and there was no way they were letting him go to Minnesota. The Packers used the leverage they had to move him to a situation that was good for them. An AFC team, fairly nonthreatening (coming off a 4-12 year), not on the schedule for several years.

Now Favre has the leverage. The Jets didn't have the cap room to keep him and he played it perfectly to get his release, assuming he knew this was what was going to happen all along.

I agree with you that this isn't just about sticking it to Ted Thompson. It's about going out on top. It's about winning another Super Bowl. If it was JUST about sticking it to Ted Thompson, wouldn't we have heard more interest from Favre in playing for the Bears or Lions last year? It was always the Vikings from the start, and why not? They're a PERFECT fit for him. They run the same offense he ran in Green Bay, they've got the best RB in the league, they've got one of the best OLs in the league, they play in a Dome (and he's been lights out in domes the past few years), they've got a very good defense, his old QB coach is the OC, and he's got his old golfing buddy in Ryan Longwell there.

Why wouldn't any quarterback want to go to a team that's set up to make a Super Bowl run, save for a glaring hole at quarterback? I don't doubt that a good portion of this is a desire to stick it to Ted Thompson, but I don't think he's flipping the bird to Packers fans by playing there any more than the Packers flipped the bird to the fans by letting the train leave the station without him on it.

The Packers made a business decision to move on without him and turn the keys over to Rodgers. Favre would be making a business decision by putting himself in the best position to accomplish the goals he wants to (Win another SB, go out on top, and yes, make the Packers regret moving on without him).

It may seem childish, and it probably is, but I can't honestly say I would do things any differently put in his spot. These guys are competitors. When someone tells you you're not wanted anymore and that they've got someone they'd rather go with, it's human nature to want to prove them wrong.

I think it's horribly unfair to be ok with the Packers trading the legend away and then at the same time say "These are the teams that you can't play for now without turning your back on the fans."

You bring up Yzerman as an example. Let's take a look at that one for a minute. Remember when Scotty Bowman came in and there were all the rumors about him being traded to Ottawa, and then the crowd booed Bowman and gave Yzerman the longest standing ovation in history? Imagine if Bowman HAD traded Yzerman. After everything he gave to the organization, the new GM comes in and makes a business decision to trade him. Just like that. You're not wanted here anymore. Would it really have been so offensive if he came back to play for the Blues or Blackhawks to prove to the Red Wing organization that he could take a team to the Cup?

Favre's earned the right to play for whoever he darn well wants to. He's not doing this to flip off the Packer fans. He's doing this to try to win another Super Bowl (and in the process make Ted Thompson look like the fool he is) with a team that puts him in the best position to do so. Do you really think we'd be hearing rumors about the Vikings if they sucked? I don't. Which means there's more to it than just getting to play the Packers twice a year.

I really don't understand the viewpoint where the organization can cut the guy loose and tell him that he's not wanted, and he's supposed to curtail the list of teams he'll play for based on how it will look to the fans. Plenty of guys have played for multiple NFC North teams: Longwell, Sharper, Majkowski, McMahon, Anthony Morgan, Bill Schroeder, McMichael just to name a few. Longwell, Sharper, and Majik will all be in the Packer Hall of Fame. But because Favre happened to be better than all of those guys, he's not ALLOWED to go to the Vikings without it killing his Green Bay legacy?

"He's a Packer legend. He can't go there." Well, what about "He's a Packer legend. We can't trade him." Remember whose decision it ultimately was that he not be a Packer anymore. It was Green Bay's call.

How many other teams out there are A) A contender and B) Need a quarterback? The fact that C) Plays the Packers twice a year also applies to Minnesota is nice for Favre, but we wouldn't be hearing Minnesota talk if A and B didn't apply.

I don't think it's fair to place the blame on the Packers organization like that. The guy waffled every offseason for three or four years about retirement. It's not fair to the organization to do that, because they'd have to go into free agency and sometimes the draft not knowing if they'd have a quarterback or not. I can't blame them for getting tired of his act.

I don't think it's fair to place the blame on the Packers organization like that. The guy waffled every offseason for three or four years about retirement. It's not fair to the organization to do that, because they'd have to go into free agency and sometimes the draft not knowing if they'd have a quarterback or not. I can't blame them for getting tired of his act.

I'm sure my views on this are somewhere in this thread, but I think it got overblown:

The first "waffling" was when his wife had cancer. Once she got a clean bill of health, he announced his return. Hard to blame him on that one.

The next year he took his time after he had a terrible year, the team had a terrible year, they were bringing in a new staff, and they had already drafted his replacement. This was the only time he really waffled before the offseason where the train left the station.

The following year he announced his return before the Super Bowl was played. He didn't leave them hanging.

Also, it's not like other teams never gave their legendary QBs the space to make up their mind. Look at when Elway announced his return after they won the Super Bowl. Look when he finally announced his retirement. Look when Young announced he was hanging it up. You're talking late May/June....

The Packers used the leverage they had to put him with a fairly nonthreatening team. It's hard to blame Favre for manipulating it so he can go play for the best team in the league that doesn't have a QB. And yes, they happen to be a rival. So what? It's pretty unreasonable to say that since he's a Packers legend he can't go play for the Vikings, when just a year ago the Packers dumped a Packers legend.

The Man is going to be on with Joe Buck at 9 pm Eastern tonight on HBO for the debut of Joe Buck Live. I'm not a huge fan of Buck, but this is going to be a must-watch. It was an interview that was previously scheduled before this Minnesota stuff starting happening. Should be VERY interesting.