• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingsfan4life19

Favorite Goalie Mask

Rate this topic

There have been many unique masks throughout the NHL past and present. Which would you pick as your favorite?

I would have to go with Cujo's Coyotes mask, because it implements his nickname, and the colors work very well for it. Also, the old Gary Cheever's "Stitches" mask, was basic, but very effective.

Opinions?

My all-time favorite is the old Jim Rutherford mask. Oh and a non-Wings mask I used to love was Corey Hirsch's...the one with the old Bates house (from the movie Pyscho) on it.

Rutherford

11-Jim-Rutherford-Mask.jpg

Hirsch

hirsch.jpg

Edit to include pics

Edited by dantroit

The first one is a simple helmet/cage combination made famous in the 1970's by Soviet goalie, Vladislav Tretiak. It is not generally popular because there is perception by some that this type of mask cannot fully deflect the force of high-speed slapshots (despite criticisms, the mask configuration is currently being used by Dominik Hašek and Chris Osgood in the NHL)

I just love how original those two are not switching to the same style that everyone else in the NHL has.

Hey only the best for us :)

Edited by CanadaBoy

The first one is a simple helmet/cage combination made famous in the 1970's by Soviet goalie, Vladislav Tretiak. It is not generally popular because there is perception by some that this type of mask cannot fully deflect the force of high-speed slapshots (despite criticisms, the mask configuration is currently being used by Dominik Hašek and Chris Osgood in the NHL]

I just love how original those two are not switching to the same style that everyone else in the NHL has.

Hey only the best for us :)

Those criticisms were well founded, seeing as how Osgood needed 6 stitches due to a slapshot to the helmet back in 98 (I think).

I would have to search for it but Ozzie has an awesome mask that he never wears. Its a full face mask with a wizard on baxk waving a wand with all the stars and twinkles. Every now and then FSN, chanel 50, CBC will show it...

I liked Manny Legace's mask when he was still a Wing. Showed a lot of respect for the history of the team.

There was an LA Kings mask from the erly 90s that had a king from a deck of cards painted on it. Not sure if it was Hrudey or someone else.

I like Osgood's helmet.

Because it won us the STANLEY CUP!

Otherwise, I liked Huet's mask from Montreal, with the flaming red haired goalie.

Anybody who consistently uses their mask off a Looney Toons character, very cool in my book.

CHI-Lalime-Front.jpg

My favorite, too. I loved the warrior head-dress Martin sported in Chicago, a subtle change from the Roman Senator helmet in Ottawa. Wonder what Lalime's going to do with Marvin's headgear in Buffalo?

I envision him incorporating the hat Fred Flintstone wore in the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos meetings, fuzzy blue with horns. I can see it now!!

flintstones.jpg

Those criticisms were well founded, seeing as how Osgood needed 6 stitches due to a slapshot to the helmet back in 98 (I think).

Osgood wears an old cooper style helmet. (plastic) Hasek's mask was made of Kevlar with a titanium cage by a company out of Michigan called Warwick. It provides all the same protection as the more mainstream modern style masks. You can google the Warwick masks site. Dom's mask runs over a grand!

Osgood wears an old cooper style helmet. (plastic) Hasek's mask was made of Kevlar with a titanium cage by a company out of Michigan called Warwick. It provides all the same protection as the more mainstream modern style masks. You can google the Warwick masks site. Dom's mask runs over a grand!

Osgood was on that "Criticism" quote so at least his are well founded.

Who has had more concussions, Hasek or Richter/Dafoe/anyone who has had a concussion wearing a fibreglass mask because Hasek never had one in the NHL, and he wore the Cooper SK2000 bucket for nine years in the NHL and more in the Czech leagues. The SK helmet is very round (like the Jofa helmets that goaltenders used to wear, no not the Gretzky model) so they're made for deflecting the shots without absorbing the impact, obviously they are just plastic. There is a flat spot however (terrible design error) right on the forehead and when hit here it crushes the skin between the helmet and bone thus the stitches. If you look at results though these guys getting concussions get hit in the flat sides of the fibreglass masks and that's how they get head injuries. So yeah, glass masks sitting on a table compared to a helmet are going to be stronger, in a game situation functionally, results tell you that both have their drawbacks.