• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

The next great Red Wing

Rate this topic

Part of a three-part blurb, the three parts being un-related to each other.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

The next great Red Wing

The Red Wings added goaltenders Ty Conklin in free agency and Thomas McCollum in the draft, but they might already have had their next great stopper in the system.

Daniel Larsson, a third-round pick in 2006, has impressed thus far at the team's development camp and looks ready to earn an AHL job next season.

The 22-year-old clearly needs time to adjust to the North American style, but after earning the Honken Trophy as Sweden's top goaltender -- Henrik Lundqvist won it from 2003-05 -- he's ready for the challenge.

"He's struggled at times, but you can see what makes him successful," one camp observer noted. "His positioning is excellent, and he reads the play well. That's going to be the key to his ability to transition from the Euro to the NHL style. He looks real athletic, and he's really confident in there."

You can certainly call the Wings legendary drafting prowess into question, but you can't argue with their ability to develop prospects once they're in the system. Larsson's progress will be worth charting this year.

Guest mindfly

Larsson is actually better than lundqvist were at 22...he could become really good, but hey you never know when the development will go slower...

I only worry that all this praise of Larsson is only because of Lundqvist.

I really havent seen enough of him to make a decision personally.

:blink: Somehow I think that Larsson's amazing season last year and impressive poise in his first training camp, both of which are the sources of said praise, is completely unrelated to Lundqvist.

Hey, if Larsson can become another Lundqvist, then I'll be happy. I just don't want to see Larsson become Lundqvist, while Howard becomes another Al Montoya.

Hey, if Larsson can become another Lundqvist, then I'll be happy. I just don't want to see Larsson become Lundqvist, while Howard becomes another Al Montoya.

No offense to Jimmy, but if Larsson becomes a Lundqvist I couldn't care less what happens to J-Ho.

It will be interesting this season to see if people start crowning him as the next GREAT Red Wings goalie instead of Jimmy Howard. Sounds like this is going to have to be Howard's season if he is ever going to make it as a Wing. Let's hope this Larsson kid can keep improving.

Edited by dantroit

Montoya will always regret the fact that he left Michigan a year early, he could have won a NC but he left for the money.

Don't f**k with Red :lol:

So larsson is going to be battling J-Ho for the number one spot in Gr and McCollum is playing one more yr in the USHL and then goin to College?

McCollum will play 1 more season in the OHL then is eligible for Grand Rapids afterwards.

Montoya will always regret the fact that he left Michigan a year early, he could have won a NC but he left for the money.

Don't f**k with Red :lol:

Yeah, he shouldn't have left. I was pretty surprised when he did.

Goalies are strange, you never know how they'll turn out really. At least the Wings have the luxury of not throwing Larsson, and Howard right into the fire.