• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

world cup of hockey?

Rate this topic

With NHL players in the Olympics, I think the NHL and NHLPA decided that was enough international hockey. I haven't heard any plans for a WCOH anytime soon.

If the KHL takes off in Russia and throughout Europe, and if players begin staying on their home continents more, maybe then we'll see some more international events. I'd like to see the WCOH return in the summer of 2012, but instead of Germany, I'd like to see the 8th team be an IIHF team made up of players not from Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep, or Slovakia. There are a few good players that get left out of the tourney because they're Swiss or Latvian or some other nationality. An international team would be far more competitive than Germany, also.

I believe the last one was during the summer of '04....so shouldn't there be another world cup of hockey this summer? orrr has that been discontinued and noone told me about it...

Further..the two cups were held in 1996 and 2004. So we're not due until 2012 if they keep the 8 year gap :)

With NHL players in the Olympics, I think the NHL and NHLPA decided that was enough international hockey. I haven't heard any plans for a WCOH anytime soon.

If the KHL takes off in Russia and throughout Europe, and if players begin staying on their home continents more, maybe then we'll see some more international events. I'd like to see the WCOH return in the summer of 2012, but instead of Germany, I'd like to see the 8th team be an IIHF team made up of players not from Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep, or Slovakia. There are a few good players that get left out of the tourney because they're Swiss or Latvian or some other nationality. An international team would be far more competitive than Germany, also.

you're wrong. If a competition like this would take place again, it would be switzerland and no more germany as the8th seed. I even ask me if switzerland is not internationally ranked 7th. And a team composed of guys from Belarus, Germany, Kazakhstan, and Switzerland would never be stronger than the original swiss team for example, coz what make us stronger is our system and the fact that our players have the opportunity to play and to practice a lot together.