• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Update on Filppula/Chelios

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

when i think about it i also think cleary should be on 2nd line and put flip on 3rd...

Cleary > Filppula

I think this needs to be said, although I'm pretty sure I've seen it some where. After reading this thread, and seeing all of the discussion on possible line combinations. This is one of the best problems we could ever have!

Fil took a lot more faceoffs than Franzen did last season. More often than not he was the center of the 2nd line (when he wasn't up with Datsyuk).

Filppula may have the potential to be a playmaker, but he hasn't come close to being one thus far. In the long run he'll be closer to Draper than he will be to Datsyuk.

A fun side note. Holmstrom had more assists than Filppula last season.

fortune-cookie.jpg

We all need to send Darcy Regier flowers!

Dan Paille solid young two-way player. Same age and size as Filppula.

77 games 19 goals 16 assists +9 Paille's stat line.

78 games 19 goals 17 assists +16 Filppula's stat line.

Paille signed a two year deal. First year at $900K. Second year at $1.35M.

fortune-cookie.jpg

Datsyuk is a 90+ point elite two-way player that will likely eclipse 100 points in the near future.

Draper in his heyday was a 30-40 point Selke candidate.

Even if Fil becomes a 50-60 point two-way center, he's closer to Draper than to Datsyuk.

Find me a cheaper top line winger that puts up 20-30 goals and is pivotal on the PP (whether he gets on the scoresheet or not). In the cap world, Homer is an incredibly cheap player. Ryan Malone is making twice as much and I'm hesitant to say he's better at all.

More versatile, younger, bigger, better skater. Not knocking Holmstrom (who is more of an asset on the powerplay), but Homer doesn't kill penalties.

You are right that Homer makes his money. By the end of his contract we'll need to move on. He's already 35, he only has so many roles, and there'll be younger guys who should be able to take his ice time by then. I do hope he retires a Wing. For now, he has chemistry with some of our most important offensive threats, and at his price, that's critical depth.

Initially thats what I was thinking as well, but if the other line that Z centers struggles, I can absolutely see Filppula centering the aforementioned line. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the lack of assists Val has put up over the course of his career, but if he can prove capable there's no need to break up the ZDH line.

I'm thinking

z-Hossa-Homer

Fil-Mule-Dats

Fil and Dats played together for short periods last year an dit worked out great. Fils production went way up.

These pairings are insane. I am pumped...

NN,

Just consider:

Z - D - Hossa

Cleary - Franzen - Hudler

Helm - Fil - Samuellson

Kopper - Draper - Maltby

The big bodies help Hudler use his talents more and we have the best line in the league night in night out. I am fine with spreading the talent, but I just want to make the point about Homer.

Babs won't put Helm in over Homer if they are both healthy.

I'm wary of the Wings signing Flip to a long-term contract. He could be just as much a bust offensively (topping out as a 45-50 pt guy) as he could be a boom. As long as its a typical "underpaying on the long-term" contract, then I'll be fine with it.

...just don't give him a No Trade/Movement Clause and if he ends up being an average player, move him for some draft picks...

Datsyuk is a 90+ point elite two-way player that will likely eclipse 100 points in the near future.

Draper in his heyday was a 30-40 point Selke candidate.

Even if Fil becomes a 50-60 point two-way center, he's closer to Draper than to Datsyuk.

You can't compare a 2nd year player to a Selke finalist in the prime of his career. Granted, I don't think that Fil is as talented as Dats but Dats had 35 points in his first year and 51 in his second. Fil had 17 and 36 respe4ctively. Put Fil on a line with Hank, Hossa or Dats and he is easily good for 30 goals IMO

More versatile, younger, bigger, better skater. Not knocking Holmstrom (who is more of an asset on the powerplay), but Homer doesn't kill penalties.

You are right that Homer makes his money. By the end of his contract we'll need to move on. He's already 35, he only has so many roles, and there'll be younger guys who should be able to take his ice time by then. I do hope he retires a Wing. For now, he has chemistry with some of our most important offensive threats, and at his price, that's critical depth.

...Homer will retire a Wing, BUT at the end of this contract he will probably given a series of 1 year deals just because the Wings like to honor thier life-longers with reward and thank you contracts. He'll be here for a while, much like Draper and Maltby will be given contracts until THEY want to retire...

I think this needs to be said, although I'm pretty sure I've seen it some where. After reading this thread, and seeing all of the discussion on possible line combinations. This is one of the best problems we could ever have!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Red Wing fans are thinking "what if they play this line combo and that line combo, OMG!" :yowza:

Red Wing opponents are thinking "what if they play this line combo and that line combo, OMG! :scared:

Find me a cheaper top line winger that puts up 20-30 goals and is pivotal on the PP (whether he gets on the scoresheet or not). In the cap world, Homer is an incredibly cheap player. Ryan Malone is making twice as much and I'm hesitant to say he's better at all.

:thumbup:

Serious question: When the Wings were beaten by Anaheim in round one of '03, were they getting traffic infront of Gigere?

I would rather have the ability to have two lines of (2)skilled (1)Big body netpresence, than to put all our eggs in one hgihly skilled basket with no major netpresence, and a second skilled line with netpresence. Meaning, of corse, I think Holmer has to stay, and mostly on the first line.

Think of it, you put the Hero line out for a while and the opponent is overwhelmed by speed and skill, but maybe the goalie is so jacked like they always are against the Wings, that he stands on his head. OK, now throw Holmer infront of him on one shift with Dats and Z firing from everywhere, then Franzen in front of him on the second shift with Hossa and Filp firing away. They can't be prepared for all that!

I'm a little surprised so few people are considering Cleary as a candidate for the second line. He had a great season, putting up 42 points in 63 games. He never quite got back to that level after he broke his jaw though. Hopefully he will this year.

Yeah, but then Franzen Val or Homer has to come of the top two lines. Homer I am pretty sure doesn't belong on the third line, and Franzen and Val earned their spots....

I just don't see how you give him top six when he is so good on the third line.

Having Flip center Hossa would be like Joey Harrington quarterbacking Jerry Rice. People love to hype up Flip better than what he actually is. No doubt he could be a 50-60 point guy, but he isn't close to that right now. But yea, having someone that has 1/2389578342536498346th the ability to pass the puck like Datsyuk to someone who most likely will have the most points this upcoming season and is an all-star, franchise player makes perfect sense. I'm on board, ticket punched and just ready to roll.

You can't compare a 2nd year player to a Selke finalist in the prime of his career. Granted, I don't think that Fil is as talented as Dats but Dats had 35 points in his first year and 51 in his second. Fil had 17 and 36 respe4ctively. Put Fil on a line with Hank, Hossa or Dats and he is easily good for 30 goals IMO

I agree. There is no telling where Filppula's career could go. But this past year he wasn't on with a player that could score like Hull or a Calder runner-up in Zetterberg, he was playing with Franzen who had yet to find a scoring touch and Samuelsson who is in dire need of a compass. Val is a great two-way player, perfect for the wings, but really has spent a lot of time between the 2nd and 3rd lines, with Samuelsson hitched up to him. You have three players in the DZH line with plenty of talent and chemistry. You have two-players on the second line who are gaining momentum and have developed chemistry in Filppula and Franzen, don't tell me you think the Wings would be making a grave mistake by keeping it all the same with Marian replacing Mikael. Filppula will do fine, promise.

I agree. There is no telling where Filppula's career could go. But this past year he wasn't on with a player that could score like Hull or a Calder runner-up in Zetterberg, he was playing with Franzen who had yet to find a scoring touch and Samuelsson who is in dire need of a compass. Val is a great two-way player, perfect for the wings, but really has spent a lot of time between the 2nd and 3rd lines, with Samuelsson hitched up to him. You have three players in the DZH line with plenty of talent and chemistry. You have two-players on the second line who are gaining momentum and have developed chemistry in Filppula and Franzen, don't tell me you think the Wings would be making a grave mistake by keeping it all the same with Marian replacing Mikael. Filppula will do fine, promise.

Pheeew, I feel so much better. Thank You.

Sammy had more assists last season than Fil and Franzen COMBINED. Sticking Hossa with them would be a complete waste. Z and Pavel will split with one playing next to Hossa and Holmstrom and the other next to Franzen and one of Samuelsson, Cleary, Hudler, and Filppula. Anything else just doesn't make any sense.

The only reason Z and Pavel have played together all this time is because we haven't had the wingers to be able to effectively split them up. We do now.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
Sammy had more assists last season than Fil and Franzen COMBINED. Sticking Hossa with them would be a complete waste. Z and Pavel will split with one playing next to Hossa and Holmstrom and the other next to Franzen and one of Samuelsson, Cleary, Hudler, and Filppula. Anything else just doesn't make any sense.

The only reason Z and Pavel have played together all this time is because we haven't had the wingers to be able to effectively split them up. We do now.

How doesn't ZDH make sense? I understand your point, And it sounds very feasible, but at the same time, Why would you split up a well oiled machine?

Hossa - Flipper - Franzen.

Only questionable player would be Flipper, Thats because he hasn't produced on a large scale with guys like Cleary and Sammy. Being on a line with Hossa being who he is, and Franzen coming into his own last year. I see no reason to not atleast give it a try to keep ZDH together, You gotta remember, Zette was in the scoring league for along time during the season. Its obvious that the ZDH line produces..

I honestly dont care how the lines shape up, either way, the lines will be amazing. I'am curious about our 3/4th line. How will it shape up? will Helm be in GR?

Hudler - Cleary - Sammy

Maltby - Draper - Kopecky

^^

How do you think that would hold up? its like 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown line. Cleary at center is the only questinmark that could say no, Drapes has to be there.. but all 4 lines are highly reliable we wouldn't have to tank shift the top 2.

How doesn't ZDH make sense? I understand your point, And it sounds very feasible, but at the same time, Why would you split up a well oiled machine?

It doesn't make sense because you double up your top-end centers leaving Hossa and a Franzen that is itching to blow by 30 goals with a center that set a career high with 17 assists. Kenny may as well have signed Brian Campbell for our 3rd pairing. Makes just as much sense.

Hossa - Flipper - Franzen.

Only questionable player would be Flipper, Thats because he hasn't produced on a large scale with guys like Cleary and Sammy. Being on a line with Hossa being who he is, and Franzen coming into his own last year. I see no reason to not atleast give it a try to keep ZDH together, You gotta remember, Zette was in the scoring league for along time during the season. Its obvious that the ZDH line produces..

Fil is a hell of a question. And is everyone forgetting that Babcock has done pretty much everything in his power to split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg? At the start of every season he's been here they've been split up. We finally have what seems like goal-scoring wingers and you think Babs will keep them together? No chance.

I honestly dont care how the lines shape up, either way, the lines will be amazing. I'am curious about our 3/4th line. How will it shape up? will Helm be in GR?

Hudler - Cleary - Sammy

Maltby - Draper - Kopecky

^^

How do you think that would hold up? its like 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown line. Cleary at center is the only questinmark that could say no, Drapes has to be there.. but all 4 lines are highly reliable we wouldn't have to tank shift the top 2.

Let Fil center the 3rd and bump one of Hudler/Cleary/Sammy up to the 2nd line.

As for Helm I want him on that 4th line.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

his reasoning for splitting Z and D away, Were because he could have a 2nd line worth a damn, Now he has 2 proven players and 1 not so proven..

Either way can we really argue about how amazing our team looks right now? top to bottom its beautiful. If they can stay remotely healthy *No major injures* I'am scared of what could happen. Records being broken? The NHL's version of the Patriots?