• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PROBIE4PREZ

Emery a victim of Racism?

Rate this topic

Ray Emery Article

I think a comparison to Yashin is allot better than Bert, Bell, Heatley...

in no way is it b/c he's African American that he doesnt have a job its b/c of his work ethtic and his unprofessionalism on and off the ice that sent him to MOTHER RUSSIA

good read and good topic of debate

Firstly, Emery is a lazy, pouty backup goaltender who wanted starter money and a starting job.

Secondly, there are guys like Jarome Iginla, Mike Grier, Donald Brashear, and Georges Laraque who get paid well for their contribution and have not faced any sort of significant difficulty in getting a contract due to racism.

Emery has the talent to have been snapped up by an NHL team this offseason if he was willing to accept fair value. But right now, he makes more in Russia than he would have in the NHL.

I think the only aspect of this that involves racism is when people allude to his "typical hip hop" attitude. Because the implication is "typical n*gger."

There's been plenty of white players with horrible problems and poor work ethic. Did they have a hip hop attitude?

As for the article and Emery playing in Russia, I think it has more to do with his position than his race. You can get away with taking a gamble on a forward who brained some guy on the ice, but it's something else to risk committing to a goaltender who may have problems on and off the ice.

Leave it to some white guy from Moose Jaw to play the race card on Emery's behalf. Classic white guilt, anyone? <_<

Seriously, Emery already admitted that his problems were caused by himself and no one else. This is almost as silly as that politician in Dallas who thinks that "black hole", "devil's food cake" and "angel food cake" are racist. Problems aren't always about the color of one's skin. *sigh*

I am sorry but this has nothing to do with Race.

He was loved for his ability to fight as a goalie, he was traded because Ottawa thought he could do it, then his own attitude got in the way.

It is not like he was a great goalie of color sitting on the pine or in the minors while a lesser white goalie was playing ahead of him.

The lesser goalie may have been starting but that was due to his attitude and work ethic not his color!

Emery is black? for the love of god how did he even make it in the league????? /sarcasm

Screw the racist card... its old and tiresome... go hang out with Grier! oh wait you can't cause he HAS A JOB in the NHL and you DON'T!!!

Edited by OsGOD

I think the only aspect of this that involves racism is when people allude to his "typical hip hop" attitude. Because the implication is "typical n*gger."

There's been plenty of white players with horrible problems and poor work ethic. Did they have a hip hop attitude?

I don't think Toth is referring to Emery's work ethic and off-ice issues as hip hop, instead he's referring to Emery's lifestyle. It seems to me most NHL players are quiet guys who like to go about their own business -- pretty much the polar opposite of the other leagues. Emery is a unique personality in the NHL. Not many guys dress in flashy suits and drive Lamborghinis, to my knowledge at least.

Anyway, I don't think Emery getting booted from the league has anything to do with racism. However, I've always thought the hair dying incident with Emery a few years back was a little fishy.

I don't think Toth is referring to Emery's work ethic and off-ice issues as hip hop, instead he's referring to Emery's lifestyle. It seems to me most NHL players are quiet guys who like to go about their own business -- pretty much the polar opposite of the other leagues. Emery is a unique personality in the NHL. Not many guys dress in flashy suits and drive Lamborghinis, to my knowledge at least.

Anyway, I don't think Emery getting booted from the league has anything to do with racism. However, I've always thought the hair dying incident with Emery a few years back was a little fishy.

No, I wasn't referring to Toth actually. But I've seen the phrase used here and other places regarding Emery. How all his problems are "typical hip hop."

Well I advice all black people to be very cautious in Eastern Europe, especially in Russia were some villages don't take to kind to Black color skin.

Edited by Jwo

Emery is a victim of racism so he goes and signs in the KHL? That makes sense. He couldnt get signed here so he went and signed with a league located in a country whos culture is often times more blatantly racist than North America is..

terrible article

terrible argument

he is the victim of a bad attitude/work ethic.......oh and he plays like s***, the black superstars from other sports he notes get away with it because thats what they are superstars, not s***ty goaltenders

now I admit he has some serious potential and showed it off 2 years ago, but no one wanted to take a chance on him....look at cujo last year, he was once really good but no one picked him up until the deadline....w/e

Emery will go over there and try and put his game back together and come back, or he will be forgotten

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that anyone could become a sportswriter at this level without knowing about Jackie Robinson or Henry Aaron and what they had to endure while playing baseball. If Emery had to endure 1/100 of that kind of racism, he'd wet his pants. Besides, if he was to goaltending what Robinson and Aaron were to their positions as ballplayers, he would still be in the NHL.

The authoer really devalued the extent of Emery's issues... I did too, until I actually took the time to read his wikipedia page. There's a lot more to it than "showing up late to practice" and "complaining about ice time", a lot more.

Fact is, he was given three offers in the NHL despite his lackluster performance and issues -- there were still three teams willing to take a risk on him and give him a "second chance". But he could make a lot more in Russia so he bolted.

Emery's a victim of lazy-ism and bad attitudism, not racism.

...we know and the hockey world knows that this is the reason he has no job in the NHL...

...BUT, it is because of his race that this is an issue. Why? Because what is the first thing a minority does when they don't get what THEY feel the deserve? EXACTLY, they pull the race card out. You can GUARANTEE if Emery were American or if hockey were a more popular sport, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be all over this, marching on the NHL headquarters, protesting to the NHLPA until Emrey was GIVEN a job in the NHL, much like a lot of companies and businesses and other sports are. Remember when the Lions were fined because they didn't interview a minority during their search for a coach, when they ALREADY had the guy they wanted in Marucci? Gimme a break! I bet if the Lions hired Dennis Green without interviewing Mariucci, NOTHING would have been said! Much like the hundreds of Caucasion NHL players that go to Russia/Europe to play every year because they are no longer good enough for the NHL and not one word is mentioned about racism...

...f*ck Ray Emery, he, like millions of others who have played the race card unjustifiably, has givin his OWN race a black eye. Oops, I guess I should have said a bruised eye...

...oh and f*ck every one that playes the race card. IF YOU DON'T DESERVE/QUALIFY FOR THE JOB THEN YOU DON'T GET IT. YOU GET NOTHING, YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!!!

edit: and the guy below me is right, this thread may get ugly and I expect this post to be deleted and as a result this issue, much like racism is today, will be brushed under the rug without being resolved and then it will be Poor Ray Emery, the Man has kept him down too...

Edited by LeftWinger

Is racism a problem overall in this and other countries? Yes. But that is for the political discussion thread.

While there aren't many African NHL professionals obviously, I haven't heard of racism being a problem among the few blacks that have been in the NHL since I've been watching the game in the mid-90s.

The race card in Emery's case is bogus I think. It has very little/nothing to do with race. I don't care if you are white, black, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, orange, yellow, or whatever else. Plenty of guys regardless of race can and have had lazy work ethics or bad attitudes before.

...we know and the hockey world knows that this is the reason he has no job in the NHL...

...BUT, it is because of his race that this is an issue. Why? Because what is the first thing a minority does when they don't get what THEY feel the deserve? EXACTLY, they pull the race card out.

-------->

edit: and the guy below me is right, this thread may get ugly and I expect this post to be deleted and as a result this issue, much like racism is today, will be brushed under the rug without being resolved and then it will be Poor Ray Emery, the Man has kept him down too...

The thing that's most bothersome about your opinion is that you seem to imply that all minorities automatically resort to playing the racist card. Not only is this stereotyping and prejudicial it also doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

First off, Emery is a goalie. And here's a sterotypical statement that makes more sense. None of 'em are playing with a full deck. By trade and by training, they're isolationsists and pretty ego-driven. They would have to be to survive, methinks.

Secondly, Emery has already admitted that he blew it in more ways than one. Why do you choose to still be venting via this article? If you want to nail somebody, go after the writer. He's the one trying to make points, albeit very badly.

...BUT, it is because of his race that this is an issue. Why? Because what is the first thing a minority does when they don't get what THEY feel the deserve? EXACTLY, they pull the race card out. You can GUARANTEE if Emery were American or if hockey were a more popular sport, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be all over this, marching on the NHL headquarters, protesting to the NHLPA until Emrey was GIVEN a job in the NHL, much like a lot of companies and businesses and other sports are. Remember when the Lions were fined because they didn't interview a minority during their search for a coach, when they ALREADY had the guy they wanted in Marucci? Gimme a break! I bet if the Lions hired Dennis Green without interviewing Mariucci, NOTHING would have been said! Much like the hundreds of Caucasion NHL players that go to Russia/Europe to play every year because they are no longer good enough for the NHL and not one word is mentioned about racism...

...f*ck Ray Emery, he, like millions of others who have played the race card unjustifiably, has givin his OWN race a black eye. Oops, I guess I should have said a bruised eye...

...oh and f*ck every one that playes the race card. IF YOU DON'T DESERVE/QUALIFY FOR THE JOB THEN YOU DON'T GET IT. YOU GET NOTHING, YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!!!

Amen.