• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

More proof ESPN doesn't even watch hockey

Rate this topic

Unless I'm mistaken, the winners are chosen by fans voting online ... ESPN may have been responsible for the nominations, but not him winning. So I guess it just proves that people who watch ESPN don't watch hockey ...

The Wings won the Stanley Cup so I pose this question, who cares about an Espy?

I mean, good for Crosby, I'm glad he won an award that means absolutely nothing.

AO probably deserves it more than Sid but this just goes to show you that Sid reaches the non-hockey, casual fan more than AO.

As far as the best team thing. Between the Red Sox, Giants, Celtics and Red Wings. The Red Wings are probably the 3rd-4th choice. No way do they win that award over the Giants or Celtics.

I was impressed by Crosby - seemed like a great player and leader for the last couple seasons... earlier in the year I would say he really didn't deserve some of the abuse heaped on him. "He's a crybaby", "He's Bettman's blah, blah, blah"... I mean it's not like he asked to be the poster boy.

Watching him in the SCFs however, he just seemed dispicable as a captain... he was a trash-talker, a whiner and a bad sport. Even Turco seemed a lot more friendly in the handshake line at the end of the Wings/Stars series.

Does he have to be a good sport? Nah... but it sure helps if you're putting a 'C' on your sweater.

Pleh - even if Datsyuk got an ESPY it would be meaningless... just stating what we already know. We got the cup and Crosby got a cup o' disapointment. Where's your wingman now?

:lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, the winners are chosen by fans voting online ... ESPN may have been responsible for the nominations, but not him winning. So I guess it just proves that people who watch ESPN don't watch hockey ...

:thumbup:

Crosby who? I don't see his name on the Stanley Cup.

Yes.

The celtics went from a 28-56 record, to winning it all-----> Best Team? CHECK.

Don't really now how you can argue with that comback story, especially since hockey is probably the 5th most popular sport in america behind the 3 major and nascar (as much as it pains me to say it).

Crosby? yeah AO most likely deserved it. But its like anything else voted on by fans, most popular takes the cake.

eh. none of this bothers me. I still personally like ESPN for everything but hockey coverage (save EJ Hradek, i like him).

Guest Crymson

Given how much they seem to pay attention to hockey, I'm surprised they didn't pick Gretzky as this year's best player.

I was just listening to the Jim Rome show driving to lunch, and someone other than Rome was on and a caller asked about the hockey schedule. The guy admitted he had not looked at it, then proceeed to cover up by mocking hockey for the next minute... "Yeah, hockey... is that still a sport? Is Favre going to play in the NHL this year.... yeah, hockey... whatever."

It really does amaze me how such a fast, agressive and dynamic sport is not only overlooked, but openly mocked and ridiculed by many sports personalities. I can see how soccer is mocked by American sports guys, but hockey is a different beast altogether.

Just is strange to me.

Guest Shoreline

Don't really now how you can argue with that comback story, especially since hockey is probably the 5th most popular sport in america behind the 3 major and nascar (as much as it pains me to say it).

Crosby? yeah AO most likely deserved it. But its like anything else voted on by fans, most popular takes the cake.

eh. none of this bothers me. I still personally like ESPN for everything but hockey coverage (save EJ Hradek, i like him).

If thats true about the Celtics (don't watch the NBA) then clearly they deserve it over the Wings. Wings nearly choked out of 1st place after leading the league by a mile through a good chunk of the season.

Although, that still doesn't take away from the fact that the ESPY's are a joke, and so is ESPN. I'm glad the NHL went away from ESPN (when you think bowling, golf, NASCAR, and poker are sports, you clearly fail), but saddened in that it went to OLN/Versus. Thank god there's an NHL Network. I can completely blow off ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNews entirely now.

If thats true about the Celtics (don't watch the NBA) then clearly they deserve it over the Wings. Wings nearly choked out of 1st place after leading the league by a mile through a good chunk of the season.

*cough* injuries *cough*

I was just listening to the Jim Rome show driving to lunch, and someone other than Rome was on and a caller asked about the hockey schedule. The guy admitted he had not looked at it, then proceeed to cover up by mocking hockey for the next minute... "Yeah, hockey... is that still a sport? Is Favre going to play in the NHL this year.... yeah, hockey... whatever."

It really does amaze me how such a fast, agressive and dynamic sport is not only overlooked, but openly mocked and ridiculed by many sports personalities. I can see how soccer is mocked by American sports guys, but hockey is a different beast altogether.

Just is strange to me.

I bet if the NHL had a deal in place with ESPN we wouldn't see nearly as much of that, if any at all.

AO probably deserves it more than Sid but this just goes to show you that Sid reaches the non-hockey, casual fan more than AO.

As far as the best team thing. Between the Red Sox, Giants, Celtics and Red Wings. The Red Wings are probably the 3rd-4th choice. No way do they win that award over the Giants or Celtics.

I don't think that they should win it over the Sox or Celtics, but the Giants?

Sure they were a good team and pulled off a huge upset but I just don't see the Giants as a better football team than the Wings are a hockey team.

Edited by Fireside

The Detroit Red Wings went from a 54-21-7, finishing first in the league, to winning it all-----> Best team? CHECK.

The Wings clearly performed at a superior level than the Celtics throughout the season. The fact that the Celtics had to pull themselves out of a considerable deficit to win makes them a cute bedtime story, but not the best. The fact they had to dig themselves out of a hole immediately writes themselves off as being the best (though kudos to them for winning their championship). The Wings, on the other hand, made sure they never had to do that. THAT is what a winning team is about.

Edit: Oh, hey, my forum "rank" is 3rd Line Checker now. Where are some Avs I can punch?

Edited by The Wheeled Winger

The Detroit Red Wings went from a 54-21-7, finishing first in the league, to winning it all-----> Best team? CHECK.

The Wings clearly performed at a superior level than the Celtics throughout the season. The fact that the Celtics had to pull themselves out of a considerable deficit to win makes them a cute bedtime story, but not the best. The fact they had to dig themselves out of a hole immediately writes themselves off as being the best (though kudos to them for winning their championship). The Wings, on the other hand, made sure they never had to do that. THAT is what a winning team is about.

You missed the point, last season they went 28-56, this season they won 60+ games and the championship.

Last year the wings were two wins away from the SCF, this year they won the championship.

His point was that the C's were a horrible team turned into a very very good team, within one offseason.

They didn't go 28-56 this year and win the championship.

Like the Wings, the C's were the best team in the league start to finish this season, had the best D, and one of the best O's in the league. The two teams have a lot of parallels, except for the previous seasons success.

Edited by Opie