Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

Why do you like hudler?

#2 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

guess cos he doesn't give up. Babs didnt give him much ice time, yet he still stuck at it and did really well in the playoffs next year.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#3 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Whenever he passes a player on the other team, he hacks at their shins.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#4 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hudler is a heart and soul player, He has to work harder because of his size and doesn't back down to anyone. He is a team player and isn't afraid to back up a team mate. He is steadily improving and if he keeps on this track will be a consistant 20 - 30 goals a year scorer. He's been under-rated but doesn't let that stop him from playing hard. He's a good solid 2nd liner in my opinion. Plus he was hilarious at the parade from what I hear and pics I've seen. Overall...B+
He found the key to success 4 hours before he found the hole in his pocket.

#5 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

Because he went through a period of games in the season where in the same period Downey has more points than him. (Hudler: 0, Downey: 1)

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#6 overHandright1

overHandright1

11 Cups and Counting

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Spinner @ July 19, 2008 - 02:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hudler is a heart and soul player ... doesn't back down to anyone ... isn't afraid to back up a team mate ... He's a good solid 2nd liner in my opinion.

If you truely believe that then you're crazy.gif

#7 Swede40

Swede40

We'll end the World 2009

• Gold Booster
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Dump-N-Thump @ July 19, 2008 - 02:36PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you like hudler?

He can play.

#8 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Because when he started a "lets go red wings" chant at the parade, he was hammered and completely out of snyc with the crowd.

#9 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (overHandright1 @ July 19, 2008 - 02:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you truely believe that then you're crazy.gif

not really, Almost anytime the was a scruf on the ice, he was right there getting involved. The second liner may be a bit of a stretch I admit but I think the rest is pretty accurate considering his size.

#10 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ July 19, 2008 - 02:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he went through a period of games in the season where in the same period Downey has more points than him. (Hudler: 0, Downey: 1)

Yup, that's a great reason. rolleyes.gif Of course, then Hudler went on to score 14 points in the playoffs (sixth overall on the Red Wings), including two game-winning goals. Not to mention, Hudler put up those stats playing mostly fourth-line minutes. I almost forgot that Hudler is too "small and not tough enough" though to produce when it matters most. I guess that theory is all but dead now. If by any stretch you are arguing that Downey was/is more valuable than Hudler, I feel really sorry for you.

Jiri Hudler is a good hockey player. I just think sometimes Hudler has unrealistic expectations placed on him by the media and/or fans. Hudler is offensively gifted, despite his size. I wish all of the people on here that constantly bash Hudler would give him credit, because he certainly deserves it now.

Edited by GoWings1905, 19 July 2008 - 02:09 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Spinner @ July 19, 2008 - 03:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not really, Almost anytime the was a scruf on the ice, he was right there getting involved. The second liner may be a bit of a stretch I admit but I think the rest is pretty accurate considering his size.

OHR1 was wrong and I think on just about any other team he'd be at least a second liner, so I think you were dead on with your analysis of him. I use to not be able to stand the little runt, but after this years playoffs I have to begrudgingly accept that he is a very skilled tiny player.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hudler is a solid player and I would have felt comfortable with him on the 2nd line if not for the Hossa signing.

#13 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ July 19, 2008 - 03:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, that's a great reason. rolleyes.gif Of course, then Hudler went on to score 14 points in the playoffs (sixth overall on the Red Wings), including two game-winning goals. Not to mention, Hudler put up those stats playing mostly fourth-line minutes. I almost forgot that Hudler is too "small and not tough enough" though to produce when it matters most. I guess that theory is all but dead now. If by any stretch you are arguing that Downey was/is more valuable than Hudler, I feel really sorry for you.

Jiri Hudler is a good hockey player. I just think sometimes Hudler has unrealistic expectations placed on him by the media and/or fans. Hudler is offensively gifted, despite his size. I wish all of the people on here that constantly bash Hudler would give him credit, because he certainly deserves it now.

clap.gif

#14 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

I think Hudler should be utilized more on the PP, that's where he could really shine if given the oppoortunity. He's got the hands, vision and a wicked shot.
Thank You TeeMan

#15 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

Because he is a Red Wing

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#16 skacore

skacore

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

I like Jiri Hudler because I remember a few years back watching his highlights on I think redwingscentral where he deked the s*** outta I think the Swiss junior team, and he was kicking a soccer ball around on the ice. Then when I went to a handful of Grand Rapids games between 04-06, he always seemed to have so much fun out there. The first time I ever saw him live, it was during warm up and for whatever reason he decided he was only going to take slapshots all warm up. He would skate around and every loose puck he would just fire at the net, no stick handling and no wrist shots, and he ended up getting a hat-trick in that game I remember. After the game we went down to the family and friends part to meet up with a close family friend Matt Ellis, and I remember Jiri Hudler came out and he was by far the smallest pro hockey player I've ever seen.... and he had a HUGE plate of spaghetti and he was all smiles (just scored a hat-trick...).

Even though his past few years on the Wings have probably been tough for him because he doesn't get top 6 minutes like he probably wants, he is always smiles and still finds ways to contribute even in limited minutes, never complains. I have a hard time saying he'll "stick up for teammates", but he'll definitely do whatever he is capable of and he'll never back down from a play while the game is on.

I know a lot of people don't like him because they think he's taking away a spot from Downey (who I also want in the line up so, so bad), but there's no comparison between the two at all. Hudler was 4th in forwards scoring during the regular season and he had 14 points this playoff run to boot.

Oh yeah and he's only 24...

#17 #19=Legend

#19=Legend

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Booster313 @ July 19, 2008 - 03:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he is a Red Wing

^ This

he was a very solid player and point getter in the cup run.

#18 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

I actually don't care much for him. But he's good for the team; he's almost never given "the benefit of the doubt," but he works hard and puts up solid numbers despite this. He's only looking at fourth-line duty here because this roster's so absurdly stacked.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#19 RWK23

RWK23

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

He's a hard worker, he proved he can steal a game in the playoffs, and he was absolutely hilarious at the parade.
"...who fires it out to center ice, five seconds to go, Gonchar to Malkin over the Detroit line pushes it forward. BACKHAND TRY, OH, OSGOOD THE SAVE AND THE REBOUND SLIPS RIGHT PAST THE GOAL MARK! AND THE DETROIT RED WINGS ARE THE 2008 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!" - Ken Kal

#20 Wiser19

Wiser19

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

For the few minutes he plays, he scores(goals and assists). He did have a poor second half but a great playoff run. He is also one of the best shoot out performers in the league. Also his defensive game has steady improved every year.

He is very young and still maturing, should be a great Red Wings for many years.