• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Filppula's SCF Goal

Rate this topic

...ok, so this is an old subject, but it's not just a thread about how cool it was or did you see that!?!?

...Everytime I see that video (it's on one of you guy's avatar's) I am more and more amazed! It got me thinking that it has to be one of, if not the greatest highlight goal in NHL history. Of course, I then told myself, nah, you're just being a homer and are a little bias, well, of course I am bias, but I watch it again and wow! Then I got to going over goals I could remember, looking through youtubes and google vids and not really finding one that is as exciting and awesome as Filupulla's goal...

...so what I'd like to start is a debate over highlight goals, maybe some of you guys could add some vids, but a debate on whether this goal could be top 5 or possibly the best highlight goal we've seen in the NHL...

...now I know we are going hear people talking about Yzerman and Bure and Fedorov stick-handling through traffic, and even Bobby Orr's goal (which was actually in the net BEFORE he was tripped, unlike Val's) but I'm talking sick indivdual goal mouth moves that just make you say " :shocking: "

...hopefully we can get some opposing fans input on this, I know Cindy Crosby had some cool redirects we could see and compare, but I am hoping this really gets some cool chatting going...

...for me, I think Val's goal is the greatest goal ever scored in the NHL, unless I am forgetting one, their aren't many to compare. Actually I am hoping I am wrong and we see some great vids here, but either way, I'm hoping to see tons of sick goals...

Just in Red Wings History I can think of better HIGHLIGHT goals.

Mccarty's cup clinching goal in 97 was better.

Yzermans Ot goal vs st louis

Drapers OT goal vs washington.

Don't get me wrong val's goal was awesome but the game was already 2-0. There have been far more signifcant goals and I think that adds to how great the goal is.

Fun topic though :thumbup:

If your going to bring up significance then why have the McCarty goal on there. It only made the score 2-0 in the middle of the 2nd. yet people act as if he won it in over time or in the last minute of the 3rd. Yes its a good goal and was offically the game winner as Philly scored in the last minute.

No i know i watched it live and thought it was a good goal. But all im sayign is everyone around here seems to praise this thing like it was a overtime winner, or even a late minute winner. I will it does give me a smile pretty much everytime i see it. Just me, i really dont care too much for the 96 overtime winner by yzerman. ya good shot but didnt get us anywhere besides getting beat by the avs next round.

it depends on what the definition of "highlight-reel goal" in this context is. people are talking about goals that are really really significant in terms of winning the cup...but maybe the question is like what goal, out of any context, is just the sweetest goal to watch.

i haven't been watching the NHL for a long time, so i don't have that much history to look back on. the only other one that i saw this year that really blew me away was that rick nash goal where he deked like three defensemen and then made an amazing move on the goalie. but it seems like, not to take away from that amazing play, but if you watch it really carefully, when he moves in on the goalie, he sort of loses the puck into the goalie's pads, and then it kind of squirts out right on to his tape. if the goalie had frozen it or if it had taken a different bounce, he wouldn't have scored, and then it just would have been a cool looking rush. but that's not what happened, and it was a beautiful goal.

another one that i'm thinking of (it may have been last year) is where zetterberg goes for the wraparound, and the goalie assumes he's going to stuff it short side and so goes down to squeeze the post, but then z holds on to it for just another split second and waits for the goalie to commit and then roofs it. that was pure brilliance.

for whatever reason, those are the two that come to mind, but that fly-ppula was to me just a more beautiful goal than any other i can think of, regardless of the significance. if that goal had been scored in a 6-0 game in the third week of the regular season, it's still, on its own, just an absolutely amazing goal to watch happen.

ovechkin no looker on his back, nash double toe drag, datsyuk vs turco/vokoun (undressing them), zetterberg 180 no looker backhand swing against avs this year just to name a few.

Edited by SnipeShow

Hmmm...

Rob Davison beating Vesa Toskala from 197 feet away. THAT's a highlight reel! :omg::blink:

Toskala was even a starting goalie on my fantasy team that night... grumble...

If were talking just the 2008 playoffs, I think this was better than Val's goal.

...I am not talking goals of significance, just amzing sick goals...

...this was a great effort to follow the puck, BUT there was much amazing about besides the fact that it somehow found the net. The setup was average and Zetterberg was lucky to get his back-hand on it and it was fortunate to find the net. It is a great goal, but I think Val's was better...

I just got done watching NHL Network's 10 Best Lemieux goals of all-time. Val's goal was sick, but there were at least 6 of 66's that were sicker.

Dude scored off of a face-off... and he called before the game that he would. Nasty.

Guest Shoreline
...I am not talking goals of significance, just amzing sick goals...

...this was a great effort to follow the puck, BUT there was much amazing about besides the fact that it somehow found the net. The setup was average and Zetterberg was lucky to get his back-hand on it and it was fortunate to find the net. It is a great goal, but I think Val's was better...

I think Zetterberg's was better. In Val's goal, which was amazing in itself, Fleury just had bad positioning, which is not unlike Fleury. Budaj, or whoever that was, simply was caught off guard. I think the Zetterberg one was better, even though they both had great significance.

Edited by Shoreline

I just got done watching NHL Network's 10 Best Lemieux goals of all-time. Val's goal was sick, but there were at least 6 of 66's that were sicker.

Dude scored off of a face-off... and he called before the game that he would. Nasty.

lets see them, lets compare them. I've seen plenty of Lemieux goals, but for pure individual creativity, I think Jagr had him beat...

edit: here are some of Mario's goals. Pretty good I'd say, I do like the back-handed one hander and the re-direct between the legs. Although I don't like one of the Mckenzie brothers commentators! :lol: His name is even Bob!

...nice goals, but I still think Vals beats all of these examples...

Edited by LeftWinger

No i know i watched it live and thought it was a good goal. But all im sayign is everyone around here seems to praise this thing like it was a overtime winner, or even a late minute winner. I will it does give me a smile pretty much everytime i see it. Just me, i really dont care too much for the 96 overtime winner by yzerman. ya good shot but didnt get us anywhere besides getting beat by the avs next round.

You're hard to please. You have one goal that turned out to be a Cup winner and another that won a playoff series in dramatic fashion and you liked neither one.

I can see the reasoning that McCarty's goal was less dramatic because there was still a lot of hockey left to play after he scored it, but to discount Yzerman's goal because the Wings did not go on to win the Cup that year is being implacable.

You might as well discount most DRW highlight goals then, because out of 80+ DRW seasons only 11 of them resulted in Cups. Using your reasoning, any goal scored in a non-Cup season is a non-highlight no matter how spectacular or impressive.

Edited by octopusonice

Hank to Pav against Dallas.

When he did the fake wraparound & passed it between his legs & the d-mans legs.

Wow.

YES. One of the best goals in hockey history, or atleast one of the best passes.

Link:

If your going to bring up significance then why have the McCarty goal on there. It only made the score 2-0 in the middle of the 2nd. yet people act as if he won it in over time or in the last minute of the 3rd. Yes its a good goal and was offically the game winner as Philly scored in the last minute.

Did you watch that game?! That was the straw the broke the camels back. Seeing that clip still gives me chills. It has to be one of the best goals ever scored.

1. Timing of it - Elimination game of the SCF, clutch.

2. Who did it - Darren freakin' McCarty, his hands are for pounding faces, not pulling off a move that Fedorov might.

|I am not sure that DVD has that game on it. I own it, so I should know without looking, but i am pretty sure it has a regular season game vs. the avs from 97 (the braw), the clinching scf game vs. the flyers in 97, the 96 OT winner vs. the blues by |Yzerman, and the 7-0 win in 2002 against the avs in game 7 of the csf. it will have highlights, but i am not sure it has the full length game on it.

Did you watch that game?! That was the straw the broke the camels back. Seeing that clip still gives me chills. It has to be one of the best goals ever scored.

1. Timing of it - Elimination game of the SCF, clutch.

2. Who did it - Darren freakin' McCarty, his hands are for pounding faces, not pulling off a move that Fedorov might.

...yeah, but 2-0 is nothing. Look, even at the end of the game they were only one shot away from tying it. Val's goal made it 3-0 and everyone knows that 3-0 goal is the back breaker, they are now NOT one good shot or bad bounce away from tying it. Even though is was 2-0 and not 2-1, still the significance of a 3-0 lead is much more huge than a 2-0 lead. Although that was not the original intent of the thread, significance, but pure highlight...

|I am not sure that DVD has that game on it. I own it, so I should know without looking, but i am pretty sure it has a regular season game vs. the avs from 97 (the braw), the clinching scf game vs. the flyers in 97, the 96 OT winner vs. the blues by |Yzerman, and the 7-0 win in 2002 against the avs in game 7 of the csf. it will have highlights, but i am not sure it has the full length game on it.

The entire game isn't on there, but I think it's side b of disc 1 has the highlights of the '98 Cup run.

That would be enough for me to keep my twins intact.