• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Filppula's SCF Goal

Rate this topic

The Yzerman OT goal against St. Louis was definately amazing but in the celebration after the goal is when he injured his knee :( The same knee injury that would haunt him for years to come.

Nope. He may have re-aggravated it, but he tore that knee before. When he crashed into the net back when it didn't have those break-away magnets on it.

i think every other example thats been posted in this thread is more visually pleasing than val's goal... so pretty much we can't beat you and we give up, great debate though even though you aren't really going to hear our argument, because in your mind val's was the best?

Nope. He may have re-aggravated it, but he tore that knee before. When he crashed into the net back when it didn't have those break-away magnets on it.

...not to derail my own thread but you bring up something, Yzerman only played 258 out of a possible 410 games the last 6 seasons. He finished with 692 goals. Before the 2000-2001 season he was still getting between 25 and 35 goals even under Scotty's system. If he would've played entire seasons instead of roughly half, if he could've still averaged 30 per season he would have finished with roughly 872 goals. If he would've played the entire 1993-94 season in which at that time he was averaging between 45 and 55, so that would've have been about 20-30 more than what he did score that season, IF he stayed healthy, he could've breached 900 goals for his career. Now that would have been cool!

...ok, I'm back from would've, could've, should've land...

i think every other example thats been posted in this thread is more visually pleasing than val's goal... so pretty much we can't beat you and we give up, great debate though even though you aren't really going to hear our argument, because in your mind val's was the best?

...great, you win, just because you say every other example is more visually pleasing than Val's goal, so why not stop posting. As a matter of fact, why don't you create a forum and we can all come there for the ultimate NHL knowledge in the Nth degree. That would be a great idea! So I suppose, to you, an empty net goal is more visually pleasing than Val's goal too? Oh wait, you're a McCarty fan aren't you? McCarty DID win an ESPY for his goal, so I suppose that makes his goal THE GREATEST GOAL IN ICE HOCKEY HISTORY!!!

...sorry that you're a McCarty fan BTW...

...great, you win, just because you say every other example is more visually pleasing than Val's goal, so why not stop posting. As a matter of fact, why don't you create a forum and we can all come there for the ultimate NHL knowledge in the Nth degree. That would be a great idea! So I suppose, to you, an empty net goal is more visually pleasing than Val's goal too? Oh wait, you're a McCarty fan aren't you? McCarty DID win an ESPY for his goal, so I suppose that makes his goal THE GREATEST GOAL IN ICE HOCKEY HISTORY!!!

...sorry that you're a McCarty fan BTW...

Where did you get McCarty from? I think he's a good role player but I have no man love for him at all, i wouldn't call myself a Mac fan at all. And i am just saying if you are going to start a thread like this maybe be open to opinion? i think val's goal was nice but it was a fairly generic forehand deke, if you are going to be excited about a forehand deke maybe datsyuks huge toedrag goal on turco is the way to go? idk i just don't understand what makes this goal so special

Edited by SnipeShow

...yeah, but 2-0 is nothing. Look, even at the end of the game they were only one shot away from tying it. Val's goal made it 3-0 and everyone knows that 3-0 goal is the back breaker, they are now NOT one good shot or bad bounce away from tying it. Even though is was 2-0 and not 2-1, still the significance of a 3-0 lead is much more huge than a 2-0 lead. Although that was not the original intent of the thread, significance, but pure highlight...

You are missing one HUGE element of the McCarty goal. The series was 3-0, Philly was getting shut down not just that game, but pretty much all series long.

Val's goal was nice, but he has hands.

Mac shouldn't a) ever get that type of chance or b) actually pull something like that off.

Unbelievable.

That said, I think neither of the goals is top 10. Gotta love Nash and Ovechkin's goals against Phoenix.

...ok, so this is an old subject, but it's not just a thread about how cool it was or did you see that!?!?

...Everytime I see that video (it's on one of you guy's avatar's) I am more and more amazed! It got me thinking that it has to be one of, if not the greatest highlight goal in NHL history. Of course, I then told myself, nah, you're just being a homer and are a little bias, well, of course I am bias, but I watch it again and wow! Then I got to going over goals I could remember, looking through youtubes and google vids and not really finding one that is as exciting and awesome as Filupulla's goal...

...so what I'd like to start is a debate over highlight goals, maybe some of you guys could add some vids, but a debate on whether this goal could be top 5 or possibly the best highlight goal we've seen in the NHL...

...now I know we are going hear people talking about Yzerman and Bure and Fedorov stick-handling through traffic, and even Bobby Orr's goal (which was actually in the net BEFORE he was tripped, unlike Val's) but I'm talking sick indivdual goal mouth moves that just make you say " :shocking: "

...hopefully we can get some opposing fans input on this, I know Cindy Crosby had some cool redirects we could see and compare, but I am hoping this really gets some cool chatting going...

...for me, I think Val's goal is the greatest goal ever scored in the NHL, unless I am forgetting one, their aren't many to compare. Actually I am hoping I am wrong and we see some great vids here, but either way, I'm hoping to see tons of sick goals...

I, like you, am tired of hear about the "incrdible Orr goal". The puck was shot long before he was upended.

I would say Val's & Z's goals were 2 of the greatest in Wings history from the point of "unbelieveable", if not all-time in NHL history

Ok McCarty's goal was special because he was a grinder. He wasn't the guy to score lots and lots of goals, but somehow he was able to break past a defenseman with good positioning and beat a great goaltender without even having to lift the puck up into the air. This was in a game where Detroit had so many chances but could not convert except on a single last minute goal in the first.

You can't discount that goal just because his feet were on the ice.

Ok McCarty's goal was special because he was a grinder. He wasn't the guy to score lots and lots of goals, but somehow he was able to break past a defenseman with good positioning and beat a great goaltender without even having to lift the puck up into the air. This was in a game where DetroitPhilly had so many chances but could not convert except on a single last minute goal in the first.

You can't discount that goal just because his feet were on the ice.

Fixed.

The Yzerman OT goal against St. Louis was definately amazing but in the celebration after the goal is when he injured his knee :( The same knee injury that would haunt him for years to come.

Yeah, he injured his knee in a goal celebration in 1996 and not when he crashed full speed into the goal post in 1988 and missed 16 regular season games and most of the playoffs. Yep, that's how it happened.

...not to derail my own thread but you bring up something, Yzerman only played 258 out of a possible 410 games the last 6 seasons. He finished with 692 goals. Before the 2000-2001 season he was still getting between 25 and 35 goals even under Scotty's system. If he would've played entire seasons instead of roughly half, if he could've still averaged 30 per season he would have finished with roughly 872 goals. If he would've played the entire 1993-94 season in which at that time he was averaging between 45 and 55, so that would've have been about 20-30 more than what he did score that season, IF he stayed healthy, he could've breached 900 goals for his career. Now that would have been cool!

...ok, I'm back from would've, could've, should've land...

Yeah...I still maintain without the knee injury in 1988, Yzerman has over 800 goals and over 2100 points and might still be playing.

Because not only did it limit the number of games he could play later in his career, it limited his top end speed right at the beginning of his prime. Yzerman was one of the more dynamic skaters in the league when he was younger...if he never wrecks his knee...who knows how many 60, perhaps even 70 goal seasons he puts up?

just in case anyone needs a refresher (i did) here is the goal that sparked the topic.

my 2 cents:

ONE of the greatest goals of THIS YEAR? ABSOLUTELY (although i think as far as wings goals go, Hank's no look spinny backhand maneuver of excellence takes the cake).

Greatest EVER? not even top 20 IMO. But hey, thats why they call it an opinion!

great great goal tho.

just in case anyone needs a refresher (i did) here is the goal that sparked the topic.

my 2 cents:

ONE of the greatest goals of THIS YEAR? ABSOLUTELY (although i think as far as wings goals go, Hank's no look spinny backhand maneuver of excellence takes the cake).

great great goal tho.

Stuart getting out of trouble in his zone there with no real help is pretty underrated

Since we are talking just awesome goals that dont have to be significant in terms of game changing or game clinching or playoff hockey, i've got a few that come to mind just nice goals:

Pavel Bure -

Rick Nash GWG but only regular season (CLB vs. PHX lol) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H36Cy29xTdg

Jonathan Toews -

Maxim Afinogenov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcAKESMi_E

Jason Spezza -

Valeri Kamensky -

Mario Lemieux -

Pat Lafontaine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvFD9P8mZPg

Steve Yzerman (not the OT winner) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYFsX9WhZc

I agree with that Yzerman goal pure greatness and very significant, and i would compare Flips SCF goal to all of these in terms of "amazing goals" and there is a really good argument that it is better then all of these but a discussion about that can go on forever.

Edited by Yak19

my 2 cents:

great great goal tho.

GOOD GAD DAMN - THANK YOU for posting that video! For the life of me I couldn't even figure out this thread. I didn't EVEN REMEMBER that goal. Not even close. I'm sorry - but that is not in the top 1000 goals. That was s***ty goalkeeping.

oh - aloha

::::::::EDIT::::::::

Oh and the Wings were already up 2-0 with 10 minutes to go????????

:yawns:

Edited by DaKineMaui

<------ I think it was the best of the playoffs, so glad i got to see it live.

Lucky you!! I haven't seen many prettier goals on video. A still shot of the puck on his stick, however, would suggest a GOOD goal. Not great.

It was a fantastic goal when it happened. :thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah...I still maintain without the knee injury in 1988, Yzerman has over 800 goals and over 2100 points and might still be playing.

Because not only did it limit the number of games he could play later in his career, it limited his top end speed right at the beginning of his prime. Yzerman was one of the more dynamic skaters in the league when he was younger...if he never wrecks his knee...who knows how many 60, perhaps even 70 goal seasons he puts up?

I hate when people say things like that. The truth is, you can only speculate. Who's to say he wouldn't have had 3 or 4 rough seasons? Or that the rehab he went through with his knee gave him the drive to be as good as he was for as long as he was?

I hear this all the time with my buddy, 'If Mario didn't have cancer...' Boo-freakin'-hoo. Part of being one of the greats is having the luck to stay healthy your entire career. Just ask Pat Peak what it's like to have an injury truely ruin your career.

I, like you, am tired of hear about the "incrdible Orr goal". The puck was shot long before he was upended.

I would say Val's & Z's goals were 2 of the greatest in Wings history from the point of "unbelieveable", if not all-time in NHL history

Val also shot the puck before he was tripped. What's your point?