• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

What's the expectations for Zetterberg this season?

Rate this topic

Zetterberg was top5 last season in PPG since he missed 7 games. He set a new personal record with 92 points and 43 goals.

His confidence must be all-time high after conn smythe and a stanley cup win. He is also entering his prime at 27 years old. If he can be healthy, I think he can challenge for Art Ross. Of course, Crosby is the clear cut favorite for it.

Over 100 points? Certainly.

Edited by Phazon

His health is a problem, and the scoring will be too spread out for any Wings player to challenge for an Art Ross.

Besides, as much as people here hate him, Crosby will still be the most likely to win that trophy. There's also Ovechkin and now Lecavalier with all those forwards in Tampa.

The Art Ross is a big long shot; his back will probably flare up at some point, the Wings' scoring will be more spread out, and really: his game is more than mad-crazy point totals. It's the two-way game he focuses on, and I'm content to watch him do so.

Guest Shoreline

I expect 75+ points (or 0.75:1 - 1:1 ratio of points to games), and a decent production, which will be seen game-in and game-out, not necessarily by the amount of trophies or 234982394234 points a the end of the season.

Ovechkin will get it..

Ovechkin > Crosby

Please. Don't even try to turn this into one of those threads.

Now, responding to the actual post - I kind of expect Zetterberg's numbers to be similar to down slightly. Believe me, I would love to see him get 100+, but I predict a bit of a cup hangover for some of our guys to start the season. I bet Zetter gets 35 goals and 85-90 pts.

Zetts might be challenging but I think (see, I think!) Ovie will end up with it again. Washington is now stacked at center with Backstrom developing nicely, Nylander returning from injury and Fedorov finding some kind of new motivation. I really don't see why the guy wouldn't score even 60+ goals again...

I don't expect a Rocket or a Ross trophy from Z, D, or Hossa. But I do expect all three to hit 100+ points.

I'd love to see it happen with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Holmstrom but it is very unrealistic to expect three guys, much less two, on one team alone to net 100+ points in a season. Especially when if you play on the Wings, the wealth is generally shared and your production typically goes down than your used to due to so many people being capable of putting the puck in the net.

Selanne and Kariya did it with some consistency in Anaheim, Jagr and Lemieux in Pittsburgh off and on as well I think.

Scoring/production is up generally speaking post-lockout, but it's not like it is happy-go-scoring out there every night. One might hit the 100 point mark if, but I'm not expecting all three to.

As for Zetterberg, I expect 250 goals and 315 assists. :ph34r:

Please. Don't even try to turn this into one of those threads.

Now, responding to the actual post - I kind of expect Zetterberg's numbers to be similar to down slightly. Believe me, I would love to see him get 100+, but I predict a bit of a cup hangover for some of our guys to start the season. I bet Zetter gets 35 goals and 85-90 pts.

it's ridicilous to expect his numbers to be down. I dont think he will be suffer from any cup hangover, on the contrary, he is over his hump and are now a star in the NHL. If he plays 75+ games he'll get better than last year.

I expect him to hold the Stanley Cup over his head while wearing a white and red Detroit Red Wings jersey.

If he can do that and is outscored by Darren McCarty, I'm still good with it. :)

The other day, I was actually thinking about how this next season could unfold.

Of course there is the obvious "Cup hangover". This may be out in left field but I'm thinking that Babs can keep this under control. From what I have read, he is a good motivator and the players really respect him for his honesty and criticism.

As some previous posters have mentioned, with the 3 offensive stars on the ice everyone's stats may decline a bit. I am leaning the other way. I think with the skill level that can be on the ice across all four lines there is going to be A LOT of goals scored this year. From the begininng of last season most everyone was questioning the Wings secondary scoring. By the end of the season the players who were supposed to score reached their perceived potential and some far exceeded that. I would venture to guess that with Hossa in the mix, that will help to put 2 solid PP and PK units on the ice and allow Z, in particular, to conserve energy and preserve his health.

So basically I came to the conclusion that we'll probably see Z's numbers increase, Pav's goals to decrease but assists to sky rocket, and Hossa to be near his '03-'04 stats (36-46-82). Of course this is just a random theory, but I also called Wings and Pens before the season last year and Wings in 6 for the Cup so.... :D

I don't think it's fair to expect one of the top defensive forwards of the league to also win the Art Ross, but if anyone can do it it's Z or Dats.

I'm constantly amazed by those two and their ability to be the first ones home to defend, and the first ones up on the offense.

What I expect from Z this season? If he can play even half as good as he did in the playoffs for most of the season, he's done more than I could ask for.

If all three stay healthy, I expect atleast two of Z, D and H to reach 100 points. If all three did it it'd be crazy.

Anyone who expects three 100-point seasons is in for a disappointment.

The Wings have never had two, and only rarely have they had two 'regulars' who were even on pace for such a season. 1993-94 is the only season I am aware of where the Wings had two players with PPG of a level where they would have hit 100 points with a full slate of games; Yzerman's 82 points in 58 games projects out to 119 points in 84 games, which would have ranked him third in the NHL that season. The 1994-95 season would have seen Paul Coffey and Sergei Fedorov score 100+ points in a full 84 games season, but as a 'full season' that year was considered 48 games, it doesn't count. It also doesn't count on the 'projected totals' if you project points based on percentage of schedule, as Fedorov scored 50 points in 42 games, and 57 points was the equivalency threshold for a 100-point scorer.

Chances are, the Wings may have one 100-point scorer and two 90-point scorers. They will almost certainly have three 80+ point men and will likely have at least two break the 90-point barrier. The chances of one of them breaking 100 points seems high, as Zetterberg IIRC has scored well over 100 in his last 82 regular season games, Hossa has hit the mark before, and Datsyuk has come awful close. But two 100+ point men is much harder, and three would be very difficult unless they all play together most of the time and play a LOT of hockey. See the 1996 Pittsburgh Penguins' top two lines of left winger Mario Lemieux, center Ron Francis, and right winger Jaromir Jagr for reference.

Heatley, Spezza, and Alfredsson had a season where 2 got over 100 points, right? Just a couple of years ago.

Hossa is about as good as Heatley (they were traded straight-up for each other), Datsyuk is a little better than Spezza, and Zetterberg is as good or better offensively than Alfredsson.

Chara and Redden fed those guys, Lidstrom and Rafalski will feed Z, D, and H. You tell me which pairing is better.

Heatley, Spezza, and Alfredsson had a season where 2 got over 100 points, right? Just a couple of years ago.

Hossa is about as good as Heatley (they were traded straight-up for each other), Datsyuk is a little better than Spezza, and Zetterberg is as good or better offensively than Alfredsson.

Chara and Redden fed those guys, Lidstrom and Rafalski will feed Z, D, and H. You tell me which pairing is better.

HSA played in the East. That's good for like a 5-10% boost in production if you are on a good team.

As long as Detroit wins the Trophy That Really Counts, Crosby and Ovechkin can continue to be the NHL equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain while Hank continues to be the NHL equivalent of Bill Russell.

On an individual level, I would rather see Hank win Conn Smythe trophies than Art Ross trophies.

His health is a problem, and the scoring will be too spread out for any Wings player to challenge for an Art Ross.

Besides, as much as people here hate him, Crosby will still be the most likely to win that trophy. There's also Ovechkin and now Lecavalier with all those forwards in Tampa.

Spread out scoring hurts Z and helps Lecavalier? Lecavalier was playing with St. Louis last season, it's not like he's getting better linemates. Meanwhile, Tampa lost an offensive defenseman. The D starts the play, Lidstrom and Rafalski are way better at starting a play -- hell, Stuart and Kronwall are more capable than anybody Tampa is bringing.

If he scores a lot, I want to see him lead the Wings in points, beating out both Datsyuk and Hossa for 100+ points.

If he doesn't lead the team, I want it to because he dedicates himself so much to defense that he leaves no doubt who the Selke winner will be.

If he does both, then I want him to get the Lester B...

Spread out scoring hurts Z and helps Lecavalier? Lecavalier was playing with St. Louis last season, it's not like he's getting better linemates. Meanwhile, Tampa lost an offensive defenseman. The D starts the play, Lidstrom and Rafalski are way better at starting a play -- hell, Stuart and Kronwall are more capable than anybody Tampa is bringing.

But their team only cares about scoring. The defensive expectations and responsibilities aren't the same. Besides, Lecavalier has shown that he can lead the league in goals before.

It's been a long time since a Wing has won the Art Ross, and I don't know if any Wings player has ever led the league in goals. I'm guessing Howe did it before, but I'm not sure.

But their team only cares about scoring. The defensive expectations and responsibilities aren't the same. Besides, Lecavalier has shown that he can lead the league in goals before.

It's been a long time since a Wing has won the Art Ross, and I don't know if any Wings player has ever led the league in goals. I'm guessing Howe did it before, but I'm not sure.

Nine times (a Wing has scored the most goals), not since '65. Howe did it five times.

A member of the Oilers, Kings, or Penguins has won the Art Ross 23 of the last 28 seasons. Add Montreal and Boston and it's 33 of 39 seasons. So what? If you don't play for the Oil, Kings, Pens, Habs, or Bruins you can't win the trophy? What does Gretzky, Orr, and Lefleur winning the Art Ross have to do with Z winning it?