• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Red Wings re-sign Howard, Ericsson

Rate this topic

Is there any confirmation on that?
Just Heaton's link, which I am guessing is pretty close enough to call it official.

It's on the NHLPA's web site: It's official. Ericsson's highly likely to have the 3-year, $2.7-million contract that was reported in Aftonbladet since the 08-09 salary is identical.

During the summer it isn't uncommon to see RFA and lower-tier Grand Rapids-level signings not get reported on the mainstream press first. This is the best time of the year to cherry-pick signings off the NHLPA's web site.

Guest Crymson

Wow, the NHLPA site is in need of some player bio updates---Ericsson's weight is listed at 189.

Anyway, good signings. These two, especially Ericsson, look to be gold in the near future.

Small snippet about the Ericsson signing from DetNews.com. Not much to add, but it does state that the deal is a two-way deal, so the cap hit will vary...

The Wings have locked up one of their remaining free agents, agreeing to terms on a three-year contract with defenseman Jonathan Ericsson . The two-way deal is worth about $2.7 million if Ericsson remains in the NHL but pays him less -- and doesn't count against the Wings' salary cap -- if he's playing for Grand Rapids in the American Hockey League.

Last season, Ericsson, 24, played in eight NHL games. And barring injuries, the 6-foot-5, 220-pound blueliner -- arguably the organization's top prospect -- is likely to start the season in the minors.

He's the only defenseman on the roster who can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

"I just don't want to wake up and realize that it's all just a dream," Ericsson told a Swedish newspaper. "I'm very happy."

Guest mindfly

Would be cool if he could be a top4 D in a few years, haha, isnt 291st overall the absolute last pick? How's it going for all other 291st overall players? did they even play in the nhl?

Small snippet about the Ericsson signing from DetNews.com. Not much to add, but it does state that the deal is a two-way deal, so the cap hit will vary...

The whole "two-way" deal doesn't make sense to me... Regardless of what Ericsson signed -- barring a no-movement clause -- he would've been eligible to be sent to Grand Rapids without clearing waivers based on his NHL experience to date. Same with Jimmy Howard.

The whole "two-way" deal doesn't make sense to me... Regardless of what Ericsson signed -- barring a no-movement clause -- he would've been eligible to be sent to Grand Rapids without clearing waivers based on his NHL experience to date. Same with Jimmy Howard.

Well yeah, it's not your money :)

Just is easier on Illitch's pocketbook that if Ericsson is playing in the AHL he is not being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It just has to do with how much they're paid where they're playing at. If they're in the NHL, Ericsson would be making X amount, if they're in the AHL he makes Y amount. Was that it?

Well yeah, it's not your money :)

Just is easier on Illitch's pocketbook that if Ericsson is playing in the AHL he is not being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I understand that, but the "two-way" sense, in my book, would only apply for the 1st year of the contract, as he is still waiver-exempt for that time period. I would assume the "two-way" part in pay would also only qualify for the 2008-09 season, not the duration of the entire contract. (At least I would hope not, in the case of Ericsson's agent.)