• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Wings add McCrimmon to Coaching Staff

Rate this topic

Brad slashed someone in that clip? All I could see was full length pants. :lol:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Cooperalls!!!!!

It seems like every off season there is some horrible Cooperall reference!!!!

What know one can admit they made a mistake or a rash judgment, I mean I may change my opinion too if a guy I thought was a bum (not putting words in your mouth leftwinger) then made a key signing to win my favorite team the cup (Stuart) and then made the biggest free agent splash in years the next season. That is unheard of in professional sports today, usually a team dismantles or just doesn't make that many improvements.

BTW: I was all over Leftwinger for the red wings card comment, but dude has definitely made amends for whatever was said during the heat of the trade deadline.

If it was just frustration at the dealine... sure. But he was up Holland's ass for quite awhile before that, and stayed firmly planted there for quite awhile. IIRC, he even wished an early playoff defeat upon us.

And now Holland is god? Whatever.

Dude, Holland just signed Hossa, that is damn close to sitting on the beach and all of the sudden you see some dude walking on water, you have got to assume that guy is Jesus, if not must be god, right?

I am not saying don't knock him, just that his tone did change after being, like you said, very much anti Holland.

I bashed on the guy a lot so I thought I would speak up in defense of him, no offense meant towards you!

EDIT:

oh BTW what I wanted to add to the thread was I was reading the Puckdaddy blog on Yahoo and his response to Detroit signing McCrimmon:

The Detroit Red Wings hire Brad McCrimmon to replace the departed Todd McLellan. Eventually, these guys will make a bad decision. But it's going to be a while.
Edited by Opie

Great Signning!

Sign our Free Agents - check

Sign Best Available Free Agent- check

Sign Best Available Asst. Coach - check

I know alot of fans here in Atlanta wanted McCrimmon as the interim-head coach last year.

Edited by tipetz22

If it was just frustration at the dealine... sure. But he was up Holland's ass for quite awhile before that, and stayed firmly planted there for quite awhile. IIRC, he even wished an early playoff defeat upon us.

And now Holland is god? Whatever.

...Where di I say Holland was God? Anyhow, I was not the only one bashing on Holland after another uneventful trade deaedline. Thing is, after one playoff disaster after another, I got tired of hearing "We need more scoring, We need to get bigger, blah blah blah..." I was VERY upset when he didn't aquire Fedorov, UNTIL I heard who Columbus wanted and I was VERY happy he didn't trade Filpulla...

...right about there I started claming down about Holland, yet still upset that all we got was Stuart, and even as the playoffs progressed (after I handed in my card) I kept my mouth shut, I didn't come on here and gloat about how good they were doing. It wasn't until AFTER the Cup was won that I came on here to 're-apply' for my card. I even put myself on Holland Probabtion for a while. And even though I will still critisize when needed, I no longer will get upset when he does something because he has proven, especially this season and off season that he is a genius (not a God) and I will definately ease up on him from now on. So long as he doesn't make a Federko/McKegney type move in the near future! :lol:

BTW: Thanks Opie!

...you guys are missing the biggest part of this. McCrimmon was the first defense partner of Lidstrom, he was the one who taught him the North American system and helped Lids adapt from the Euro style to the NHL. Without Brad's guidance, Lidstrom maybe would have spent a few years in Adirondack instead of his entire career in the NHL. McCrimmon was proBABly the best choice the Wings could make! His repore with Hossa is just a bonus! He is already familiar with the Execs including Yzerman and Holland. I was totally caught off guard with this signing, but WOW, couldn't ask for a better hard nosed defensive style person! Remember the goal from center ice when he faked dumping it in and shot it at the net? I am sure someone can find it and post it!

...back to the Lidstrom factor, Brad was probably most influencial on Lidstrom developing from the best defensman in Europe to the best Defensman in the world!

...Ken Holland does it again!

McCrimmon is a good signing, and was a solid no-nonsense D-man for the Wings back in the early 90s, but you might be overstating things slightly with regards to Lidstrom.

Lids had the luxury of playing on the same team with a lot of experienced/talented D-men early in his career: McCrimmon, Mark Howe, Coffey, Fetisov, and Murphy, just to name a few.

I think that all of these could claim to have been a significant part of Nick's formative years.

I'm pretty sure McCrimmon is up there in terms of all time NHL +/- leaders. In '86 McCrimmon ended the season +83, which is good for the 10th highest +/- ever in a single season..

You're correct, he's up there, 10th best in terms of career +/- stat. Interestingly enough, he's the only non-HOFer in the top 10. Also interesting, his +83 (good for 10th all time in a single season) was not good enough for best that year, Mark Howe had +85.