• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Winged

I STILL Cant Believe Hossa Is a Red Wing

Rate this topic

Last season, Hossa netted a hat trick against the Wings as a lowly Thrasher and then proceeded to almost singlehandedly take the Wings to seven games in the SCF. He's big, fast, physically imposing, hard-working, and classy (he was, if memory serves, the first -- and possibly the only -- Penguin to admit his team was getting owned not by "obstruction" or by "itself," but by the Wings' superior defensive play). He's one of the shiftiest puckhandlers in the world. He's one of the most defensively responsible forwards in the world. He's one of the most dangerous, consistent goal-scorers in the world. He's flat-out better than Joe Thornton.

Bottom line: he's the complete package and will help make the Wings about as unstoppable as they've ever been.

That's what I think too. Really, Hossa was the only one that made me squirm in my seat anytime he touched the puck during the finals.

I couldn't believe we signed him. It's, I believe, the best FA signing in recent Red Wings history.

I don't think he ultimately will, but if Hossa skates the vast majority of his time playing with Franzen and Filppula, how is that any upgrade to what he was playing with in Atlanta? Kovalchuk and Kozlov are no slouches.

I don't think he is going to shock us, he is a pretty known commodity at this point, a very good one, but he is no Ovechkin if that is what you think he may show us this year.

And since I argued this with a lot of Penguins fans a few months ago, I'll try and remain consistent... Hossa would not be the third-best defensive forward on the Wings (behind the Euro Twins). Draper and Cleary are better, but Hossa is right there with Franzen and ahead of Filppula, Samuelsson and Maltby, but not by a ton.

I have just one thing to say to everyone in this thread...

WHY SO SERIOUS???

Hossa is just a dog chasing cars. He wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it.

He also psychologically taunts opponents in the penalty box by telling them stories of how he got his scars...

Edited by Cern

Hossa is just a dog chasing cars. He wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it.

He also psychologically taunts opponents in the penalty box by telling them stories of how he got his scars...

:thumbup:

And...here....we....go!

I'm still pumped to have him... but the whole vibe of "what can Detroit do for ME in one year" leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth...

What is better? Hossa, or the Dark Knight

Best of both worlds: To make up for our shallow list of enforcers, Hossa takes to the ice in the Joker's makeup and proceeds to creep the living f*** out of the opposition

"Hey Pronger! Wanna see a magic trick? I'm going to make this hockey stick DISAPPEAR!"

I don't think he ultimately will, but if Hossa skates the vast majority of his time playing with Franzen and Filppula, how is that any upgrade to what he was playing with in Atlanta? Kovalchuk and Kozlov are no slouches.

Nor were they Hossa's regular linemates. In Ottawa and Atlanta Hossa saw second line duty while Heatley saw the team stack the best players on the first line. It makes me wonder whether Heatley demanded playing time on the first line for him to sign.

And since I argued this with a lot of Penguins fans a few months ago, I'll try and remain consistent... Hossa would not be the third-best defensive forward on the Wings (behind the Euro Twins). Draper and Cleary are better, but Hossa is right there with Franzen and ahead of Filppula, Samuelsson and Maltby, but not by a ton.

The Penguins fans were arguing Hossa as the BEST defensive forward. He's good, but fourth or fifth on the Wings at best as you said.

if Hossa skates the vast majority of his time playing with Franzen and Filppula, how is that any upgrade to what he was playing with in Atlanta?

In theory, this would simply be a flat-out better line, mostly by virtue of its defensive prowess and general versatility. Additionally, it would be the second line -- point being, it wouldn't be facing the top shutdown guys the opposition can offer up. Further still, it would have solid support along the blue line in Kronwall and Stuart.

About Hossa's defensive game -- I might give Draper the edge. But really, if we're talking overall two-way games, Hossa is the more complete package, as he's a tremendous threat in the o-zone and very responsible in the other two zones. Draper's solid in the latter two, but has limited effectiveness in the o-zone -- beyond, of course, grinding in the corners and netting the occasional garbage goal.

Guest mindfly

I don't think he is going to shock us, he is a pretty known commodity at this point, a very good one, but he is no Ovechkin if that is what you think he may show us this year.

That's why Hossa must play with Z or Datsyuk!

That we would have to reach to the most offensively dominant player ever on the most offensively talented team ever in the most offensively oriented time in league history to do a straight comparison of Hossa's PPG to call him not a playoff performer pretty much proves my point. If you have to be Gretzky-level offensively every postseason to be considered 'always' a playoff performer, then nobody has done it and everyone in league history is a playoff bust.

Dude,

You said name one person, you didn't say name one person not Gretzky or Lemieux, just like your definition of Always has changed 15 times, you wanted one always good playoff performer, and I brought up Lemieux which you conveniently ignored, that is two people who have always performed in the playoffs, now we can trash your use of the word always.

Stop back pedaling and admit you were wrong, others have done it and none of them died because of it!

Nor were they Hossa's regular linemates. In Ottawa and Atlanta Hossa saw second line duty while Heatley saw the team stack the best players on the first line. It makes me wonder whether Heatley demanded playing time on the first line for him to sign.

Atlanta is definitely not on my "must see" list, but I spent some time looking it up and he has played a lot with Savard and S. Kozlov -- no Zetterberg or Datsyuk, but easily better than our current second line.

It also made news whenever Wadell split Hossa up from Kovalchuk (and Todd White), to spread out the scoring.

He definitely has not had the benefit of playing with a blue line like ours, however. He should do well, but I don't see him putting up an Art Ross season either.

Guest LivingtheDream
I call upon the photoshop kids to: Ma-ma-make it so!

Well, at least we know Lids would never hit his sister and mama!

That we would have to reach to the most offensively dominant player ever on the most offensively talented team ever in the most offensively oriented time in league history to do a straight comparison of Hossa's PPG to call him not a playoff performer pretty much proves my point. If you have to be Gretzky-level offensively every postseason to be considered 'always' a playoff performer, then nobody has done it and everyone in league history is a playoff bust.

what a bout peter forsberg? he's always been a consistent playoff performer

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=PlayerDeta...ge&tab=crst