• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doggy

93 to the rafters!

Rate this topic

Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clarke to get their jerseys honoured by the Leafs. You didn't think I was referring to someone else, did ya?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244004&amp...os=topStory_nhl

The Toronto Maple Leafs will honour former captains Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour by raising their numbers to the rafters of the Air Canada Centre this season.

Clark will be saluted in pregame ceremonies prior to the Maple Leafs' Nov. 22 game against the Chicago Blackhawks, while Gilmour will be recognized on Jan. 31 prior to the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Both guys deserve the honour IMO. Particularly Gilmour.

Edited by Doggy

"they're honouring the numbers"..

so their number wont actually be retired - they'll still be in circulation, same thing that the habs do...

toronto obviously think that they have too many great players in their history to officially retire numbers..how wrong they are

so their number wont actually be retired - they'll still be in circulation, same thing that the habs do...

toronto obviously think that they have too many great players in their history to officially retire numbers..how wrong they are

Thanks bro. Fixed.

Totally ridiculous. Gilmour did not play long enough as a Leaf and Clark was not star by any means.

Gilmour was one of the most popular Leafs of all time. And Clark was no slouch.

The Habs take their retired/honored numbers out of circulation.

Guest Shoreline
Totally ridiculous. Gilmour did not play long enough as a Leaf and Clark was not star by any means.

I agree. What exactly did Gilmour and Clark do that was noteworthy? It's not to say they weren't good players, but worthy of honoring a number for? Is this a PR stunt? Tie Domi was also famous as a Leaf. Hope they don't honor 28 or whatever his number was.

Edit: And if 91 goes to the rafters in the Joe, I will lose all respect for the organization. But since I have faith in them, I say not a chance in hell.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline
Wendel Clarks best thing he did for Toronto was that he was involved in the best trade ever, they got Mats Sundin from Quebec.

"Best trade bait evar"?

...Clark Totally deserves his number retired by Toronto. Gilmour not so sure, but if you guys believe Gilmour should have his number retired by them, then Feds is a given...

...if you've watched hockey for that past three decades, when you think of Toronto you think of two people. Sundin and Clark.

...Clark Totally deserves his number retired by Toronto. Gilmour not so sure, but if you guys believe Gilmour should have his number retired by them, then Feds is a given...

...if you've watched hockey for that past three decades, when you think of Toronto you think of two people. Sundin and Clark.

OK what did you put in my coffee, I actually agree with you again!

Wendl Clark was a heart and soul Maple Leaf, not the best not the worst, my best comparison would be Draper, and IMO the only thing keeping Draper's number out of the rafters is the stringent conditions that Detroit puts on raising numbers.

OK what did you put in my coffee, I actually agree with you again!

Wendl Clark was a heart and soul Maple Leaf, not the best not the worst, my best comparison would be Draper, and IMO the only thing keeping Draper's number out of the rafters is the stringent conditions that Detroit puts on raising numbers.

Draper? Are you kidding?

Kris Draper is not the most popular Red Wing of his generation, like Wendel was and still is. Draper also isn't the scorer that Wendel was, nor the fighter or hitter. People often forget how dynamic of a scorer Wendel was in his day because his numbers are low due to how often he was injured. Wendel is the Toronto Maple Leafs all-time playoff goal leader.

Wendel Clark sacrificed his body, mind & soul for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the fans have always appreciated him for that. Along with Doug Gilmour, Wendel lead the Leafs out of the Harold Ballard era and made fans proud to be Leaf fans again. That's something that can never be repaid enough times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EEltpSMTDPM

To give an example of how popular Wendel continues to be, here's a story from his final run as a Leaf, in the playoffs in 2000. The Leafs were in a game against the Devils and Brodeur was absolutely shutting the door. Wendel, relegated to 4th line duty at this point, jumped on the ice, took the puck down to Brodeur and ripped one of his famous wristshots off of the crossbar and out of play. This lead to a TV timeout, at which time, Wendel received a 2-minute standing ovation during the entire break.

As far as I know, Wendel Clark is the only player to get a standing ovation for hitting the crossbar.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Kris Draper is not the most popular Red Wing of his generation, like Wendel was and still is. Draper also isn't the scorer that Wendel was, nor the fighter or hitter. People often forget how dynamic of a scorer Wendel was in his day because his numbers are low due to how often he was injured. Wendel is the Toronto Maple Leafs all-time playoff goal leader.

Wendel Clark sacrificed his body, mind & soul for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the fans have always appreciated him for that. Along with Doug Gilmour, Wendel lead the Leafs out of the Harold Ballard era and made fans proud to be Leaf fans again. That's something that can never be repaid enough times.

To give an example of how popular Wendel continues to be, here's a story from his final run as a Leaf, in the playoffs in 2000. The Leafs were in a game against the Devils and Brodeur was absolutely shutting the door. Wendel, relegated to 4th line duty at this point, jumped on the ice, took the puck down to Brodeur and ripped one of his famous wristshots off of the crossbar and out of play. This lead to a TV timeout, at which time, Wendel received a 2-minute standing ovation during the entire break.

As far as I know, Wendel Clark is the only player to get a standing ovation for hitting the crossbar.

There you go. How can any one of us argue with a Leafs fan on his team honouring its players?

Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clarke to get their jerseys honoured by the Leafs. You didn't think I was referring to someone else, did ya?

Thanks for the laugh Doggy. I was getting ready to read and possibly post a reply thinking you were talking about Franzen.

With they way the Leafs honor numbers, Gilmour and Clark should be there. This isn't a knock on Toronto, to each their own, but I'm glad the Red Wings retire numbers and not honor them.

I agree. What exactly did Gilmour and Clark do that was noteworthy? It's not to say they weren't good players, but worthy of honoring a number for? Is this a PR stunt? Tie Domi was also famous as a Leaf. Hope they don't honor 28 or whatever his number was.

Edit: And if 91 goes to the rafters in the Joe, I will lose all respect for the organization. But since I have faith in them, I say not a chance in hell.

Wendel Clark would be in the Hall of Fame if not for his injuries. They guy was a force out there physically, he could score, he could fight against any top enforcer in the game, and he was a great leader and clutch playoff performer.

Based on all those attributes, Wendel Clark was amazing as a player. Also, his popularity in Toronto was second to no one. If he doesn't get his number retired, then who the hell should?

Any team would kill to have a guy like Wendel Clark.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EEltpSMTDPM

Great post.

Not many players could have the skill that Wendel Clark had, yet at the same time be able to hang with guys like Bob Probert or Behn Wilson in a fight. He was a rare type of player.

Some idiots here think that because he never worked out in Detroit at the end of his injury riddled career, that that somehow means he wasn't a great player. That's the wrong kind of thinking there.