• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
55fan

Re-sign or resign?

Rate this topic

Let me say first that I'm not good with maths, so if my addition is off, please correct me.

I have been looking ahead at the contracts held by our core veterans.

In the summer of 2010, Malts, Homer and Lids will be at the ends of their contracts. Malts and Homer will be 37, and Lids will be 40.

In the summer of 2011, Drapes and Ozzie will be at the ends of their contracts. Drapes will be 40, and Ozzie will be 38.

Which of these guys do y'all think will retire, and which will re-sign. For those you think will re-sign, what do you see as the lengths of the contracts?

Obviously, injuries can happen, and players don't all age the same way. There may also be personal considerations to which we're not privy, or which may not yet have arisen.

Which, if any, do you see taking non-playing positions with the Wings, or with other organizations if there is no spot with the Wings?

Any speculation?

ETA: Resign means quit; re-sign means sign again.

Edited by 55fan

Homer re-signs one year. Lidstrom re-signs two years. Osgood re-signs one year as backup/mentor. Everybody else is done when their contract is over.

Yes.

As far as non-playing positions- Lids has a job, whatever one he wants (for the most part) with the Wings for life. Drapes will work for us, and maybe Malts. Dunno if Ozzie of goalie coach material or not. He may be.

Ack. I don't even like to think about this. But, since I am, I expect that during the summer of 2010, Malts, Homer and Lids will re-sign for multiple year contracts.

In the summer of 2011, Drapes will probably be back on a 1-year contract. Ozzie, probably one-year contract. I think he and Drapes will stick around the organization in some capacity even when they're done playing.

Ozzie would probably make a great goalie coach if he was leaning that direction -- anyone who can dedicate themselves to reinventing their play the way he did could certainly give great advice to another goalie.

Lidstrom, I expect would want to eventually go home to Sweden when he retires, but I am sure the Wings would welcome him in the front office, the way they did Stevie.

Ack. I don't even like to think about this. But, since I am, I expect that during the summer of 2010, Malts, Homer and Lids will re-sign for multiple year contracts.

In the summer of 2011, Drapes will probably be back on a 1-year contract. Ozzie, probably one-year contract. I think he and Drapes will stick around the organization in some capacity even when they're done playing.

Ozzie would probably make a great goalie coach if he was leaning that direction -- anyone who can dedicate themselves to reinventing their play the way he did could certainly give great advice to another goalie.

Lidstrom, I expect would want to eventually go home to Sweden when he retires, but I am sure the Wings would welcome him in the front office, the way they did Stevie.

So you think that all of them will re-sign? That's not likely. Homer has had injury issues so I would expect him to be done when his contract is up. Maltby's game has slipped to the point where we don't need him so I expect him to be encouraged to retire. Drapes also has lost a step so I doubt that he will be offered another contract.

Lids just won another Norris and shows no sign of dropping off so I would expect hime to be offered another contract. What he does will be entirely up to him.

Ozzie will probably go a couple more years because he is still effective and has been fairly healthy.

Of course this is all just my opinion and it depends on what happens in the next couple of years but the deciding factors are always health and effectiveness. Malts and Drapes are losing their effectiveness and Homer has had injury problems.

Lidstrom = re-sign

Maltby/Homer = resign 1 year

Draper = re-sign

Osgood = resign 1 year as a backup

You got it backwards. re-sign means to sign again; resign means to quit. You can't resign for 1 year unless you come back out of retirement

2010, Lidstrom and Holmstrom will probably sign on again. Lidstrom for 2 years at a reduced salary, Holmstrom for a year (and will go year-to-year until he's done). As for Maltby, I don't think he should have even been offered a contract when he got his current 3-year deal and I'd be VERY disappointed if Holland tries to bring him back at that point. I don't think he will have anything to contribute to the team by the end of the 09/10 season.

2011, both Draper's and Osgood's situations will depend on who else is coming back and on cap room, not to mention their abilities at that time. If both are able, I can see them signing 1-year deals for lower salaries and playing bit roles. If they can't still contribute, I wouldn't want to see them back. Besides, by 2011, Howard and Larsson may both be ready for NHL duty, so Osgood could be obsolete here.

Nick can and will do whatever he wants. The thing with Homer is, if he's not playing with one of Hank and Dats, he's kind of useless -- and that's talking about Homer in the present. Add another two or three seasons of aging and compound that with the physical punishment he takes on a regular basis and I don't think he'll be around 3-4 seasons from now. I could see him signing a one-year extension in '10, but I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it quits altogether.

Maltby's looking at an even smaller window. At this point, he's just barely making it into the lineup in the postseason. I expect Draper to be around a bit longer than Maltby -- if not here, then with another team. I could see Ozzie sticking around until '11 and gradually..."becoming" Howard's backup along the way. Maybe.

Nick can and will do whatever he wants. The thing with Homer is, if he's not playing with one of Hank and Dats, he's kind of useless -- and that's talking about Homer in the present. Add another two or three seasons of aging and compound that with the physical punishment he takes on a regular basis and I don't think he'll be around 3-4 seasons from now. I could see him signing a one-year extension in '10, but I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it quits altogether.
He could sign in Sweden and play with Luleå.

Let me say first that I'm not good with maths, so if my addition is off, please correct me.

I have been looking ahead at the contracts held by our core veterans.

In the summer of 2010, Malts, Homer and Lids will be at the ends of their contracts. Malts and Homer will be 37, and Lids will be 40.

In the summer of 2011, Drapes and Ozzie will be at the ends of their contracts. Drapes will be 40, and Ozzie will be 38.

Which of these guys do y'all think will retire, and which will re-sign. For those you think will re-sign, what do you see as the lengths of the contracts?

Obviously, injuries can happen, and players don't all age the same way. There may also be personal considerations to which we're not privy, or which may not yet have arisen.

Which, if any, do you see taking non-playing positions with the Wings, or with other organizations if there is no spot with the Wings?

Any speculation?

ETA: Resign means quit; re-sign means sign again.

...thing is, Holland will give these guys a contract for as long as they want to play, so they may hang around well into 40 plus years...

...I can see Lidstrom playing beyond Chelios' years, he'll re-sign unless he just loses the passion (yeah right.) Homer will definately re-sign, he's only getting better the older he gets. I could see Draper and Maltby signing 1 year at a time contracts and Holland allowing them to take their time each summer to make a decision, their next contracts will be under a million anyhow, so they won't hit the cap too hard. Ozzie is the big question, if he has another stellar year where he remains injury free, and a solid next year, he may sign on for 1 more, all depends on the development of Howard. If Howard turns out to be the next starter and plays great, I could see Ozzie playing as a back-up at least as long as Hasek...

...basically this organization is so dedicated to their players, they will have their choice if they want to play, at no point do I see Hollland telling any of the listed players that they are not wanted anymore. Of course for very minimum contracts (with the exception of Lidstrom, he'll still get paid the big bucks)

Maltby's looking at an even smaller window. At this point, he's just barely making it into the lineup in the postseason. I expect Draper to be around a bit longer than Maltby -- if not here, then with another team. I could see Ozzie sticking around until '11 and gradually..."becoming" Howard's backup along the way. Maybe.

...no way, never. He would rather play 4th line minutes here than go elsewhere. He's already made that decision before when he was a UFA. He could easily go to a lesser team and get 2nd line minutes. He won't go anywhere else than here. He will retire a Wing. As will all the other mentioned core players...

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Lid's gets a two year offer, Homer one, Osgood, one as a mentor to Howard, if he even gets called up by then

I'm down for a 4 man commentary team. Adding Drapes & Maltby to Mickey & Ken would be excellent! Make it happen!

Now that would be cool. And if (God forbid) Mickey's health doesn't hold up, or if he just decides to take it easy and retire, they would be good with Ken as a 3-man team.

Side note to BetterREDthandead: Thanks, but what is a big fat GillyFO? I can sort of guess on the FO part, but what is the Gilly part? I guess it's not used out here in the midwest.

Now that would be cool. And if (God forbid) Mickey's health doesn't hold up, or if he just decides to take it easy and retire, they would be good with Ken as a 3-man team.

Side note to BetterREDthandead: Thanks, but what is a big fat GillyFO? I can sort of guess on the FO part, but what is the Gilly part? I guess it's not used out here in the midwest.

Gotta be Gilchrist. Dunno about the FO part. BRTD, you wouldn't be telling Brent Gilchrist to f*** off would ya?

Edited by Doggy

GillyFO! :thumbup: Haven't heard THAT expression in awhile!

That's a bit of an inside joke dating back to a member that hasn't been on the site in a few years. GilchristFOREVER (or, GillyFO for short). He would almost always include either the :thumbup: or :thumbdown: in a post.

That's a bit of an inside joke dating back to a member that hasn't been on the site in a few years. GilchristFOREVER (or, GillyFO for short). He would almost always include either the :thumbup: or :thumbdown: in a post.

Sounds like my kinda guy. :thumbup:

Edited by Doggy

Thank you. The only thing I could think of where FO was involved was not very nice, and I got the impression that I was not being told to F Off. I got lost on the Gilly part since Gilly's is a pub around here, so I got sidetracked with thoughts of alcohol. It happens. A lot, in fact.

So, back to the topic, since I haven't given my thoughts yet. I can see Drapes hanging it up at 40. I can also see Malts being done. I hate that since those guys are two of my faves, but at the same time, all good things must come to an end.

Goalies can hang on a bit longer, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Ozzie back for at least a couple more years.

Normal d-men don't stay too long after 40 (obvious exception: Cheli) but Nick is not a normal d-man. His style and intelligent play have translated into few injuries, which means that he will be able to stay longer, if he so desires.

Homer may stay longer as well, but the way officiating has been treating him, he may have to guard the crease from the blue line, which would lessen his effectiveness.

I hope they stagger their exits so we don't have too many going at once. No more than one per year. That way they'll each get the send-off they deserve.

Is it just me or does Homer not seem as old as the others? He seems like he's still in his 20's when you see him and hear his interviews. Or does he just have the boyish charm?

Edited by 55fan

:lol:

"either" nothing...... :thumbdown: his posts almost always looked like this :thumbup: with multiple :thumbup: in there for good measure. Was weird :thumbdown: but funny :thumbup:

Yes....to clarify....I like the thread just for the use of the hyphen. I hate when people post "Lidstrom resigns!!!" and get all scared til I realize they mean just the opposite: "re-signs."

I would have to say that Maltby, Draper and Holmstrom all will retire at the end of their current deals. As much as I love Maltby he is not as effective anymore and his role will be greatly diminished by then, if not at the end of this season.

Lidstrom may play another couple years who knows. Osgood I could see for a yr in a backup role.