• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jawbreaker

The Most Overrated/Underrated Superstar

Rate this topic

Typical summer topic.

This topic is inspired by the Nash vs Gaborik topic on the HF.com

I think that Rick Nash must be the most overrated star in this league. Guy has never scored 70 pts, and his best is the 41-goal season. These numbers are not impressive by any means. A lot of people say, that CBJ are bad, and he's the only great player there. And with the good center he would be a beast. Sure the Jackets are not stacked, but they are not that bad. Kovalchuk scored 52 goals this season (if not Ruutu's hit, then he would have scored 60 IMHO), and his support was maybe even worse than Nash has. Ovechkin in his first two seasons had also an awful team around him. So I think that such a star should score at least (actually more than) 40 goals and 70 pts.

As of the underrated star I have to pick Alfredsson (a year ago I would have picked Dats, or Z). People talk a lot about Spezza and his super-playmaking, and Heatley with his scoring-touch. But as we saw at the end of the season, if we take Alfredsson off that line, then those two stars become pretty useless (Round 1 anyone?). Alfie can score, pass, play defense. He is a real game-breaker. The complete package. IMHO he is not much worse overall player, than Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Thoughts?

Alfy is good i just do not like him as a player

I think sundin is overrated, i also think corry perry is overrated, and probably most overrated are the sedin twins. I would take Nash or Garorik over both of them anyday.

and to start a thread war with this i will say Hudler is HUGELY UNDERRATED.

:)

It is very difficult to assess as you need to consider how a certain player is actually rated. What criteria do you use? His salary?

Take Nash for example, why do you consider him overrated. His cap hit is $5.4 million. That seems like a pretty low amount for what he gives you. You compare him to a guy like Ovechkin, whose cap hit is $9.5 million.

The thing is, you can be the best player in the world and still be overrated, it all depends on how we define it.

I fail to see how Sundin is overrated in any way, shape or form. No, he hasn't won an Cup, and yeah, this whole recent drama's gotten old. But his point production hasn't dropped off in his old age, he still battles every night, he's still a top-notch leader -- he's a machine.

Edited by Dabura

It's easy to look at the world through "Red Tinted Glasses' and name a few Wings who are underrated. So I won't.. :lol: However, I throw my humble opinion into the ring for consideration: The most OVERRAYED player since 1980: Ron Francis

The most UNDERRATED player since 1980 : Mike Gartner (this guy's numbers are fantastic, but he was an afterthought in an era that saw Greatzky, Lemeiux, Yzerman, Lafontaine..etc....)

Guest Shoreline

Markus Naslund was highly overrated.

Apparently Jeff Finger was highly underrated. :unsure:

Dustin Penner is highly overrated for what he's paid, particularly compared to what he earned for the Ducks.

Mike Ribiero is highly underrated.

It is very difficult to assess as you need to consider how a certain player is actually rated. What criteria do you use? His salary?

Take Nash for example, why do you consider him overrated. His cap hit is $5.4 million. That seems like a pretty low amount for what he gives you. You compare him to a guy like Ovechkin, whose cap hit is $9.5 million.

The thing is, you can be the best player in the world and still be overrated, it all depends on how we define it.

Rick Nash was drafted to lead this CBJ team. So he should be a franchise player. I think that he hasn't proved that yet. But many fans (like posters on different boards) still consider him as an elite winger (sure he is good, but not in the same league with AO, Kovy, Heatley), and a franchise player. Some fans say that with the proper center he would be a Richard Trophy winner again. I don't think so. I think that Nash is the most overrated superstar, and I explained it. Some ppl will think otherwise, and they will have their own reasons. That's why this is a discussion board, and I didn't use any certain criteria.

if someone offers sakic, modano and fedorov $20mil for 2 years i will say sundin is not overrated. Sure I would ahve liked to see him in Detroit for 1 season to try for the cup and give the boys extra motivation to play for him, but not for more then about 4 mil a season. I think he might be worth more to the Maple leafs where he has been their heart and soul, thier captain and best player for so many years, but any other team offering that type of cash on a player who''s best years are behind him is rediculous.

Just my opinion

I fail to see how Sundin is overrated in any way, shape or form. No, he hasn't won an Cup, and yeah, this whole recent drama's gotten old. But his point production has dropped off in his old age, he still battles every night, he's still a top-notch leader -- he's a machine.

If Nash is overrated, I would say Sundin is too. They are both 75pt a season guys, and Sundin gets talked about like he is one of the most dominant players in the NHL. He is being offered 10 million a season by the Canucks? I realize they are desperate, but is this guy really worth more then Lidstrom, Crosby, Ovechkin, or even Hossa? Not a chance. I wouldn't pay more then 5 or 6 mil for a 37 year old who scores me 75 points. He is a star, and he WAS a superstar 10 years ago, but he fails to reach the upper echelon of hockey players earlier mentioned, IMO.

Crosby is a great young player but overrated. He thinks way to much of himself and so does his Owner and Coach.

Brendan Marrow is underrated. He was one of the best players in the playoffs, I thought he looked harder to stop than Crosby.

Hudler, Bryzgalov, and Adam Hall are also underrated.

Spezza and Gaborik are overrated.

Edited by Wiser19

Assuming this topic is related to media hype and/or salary, Rick Nash is easily one of the most overrated, salary aside. If he was as good as they say he is, then he'd have the ability to somewhat carry his team, much like Ovechkin. If not carry his team, he should at least be racking up more points then he has been. He should be a 100 point player or at least a point per game player. Rick Nash, in my eyes is overrated.

Zetterberg was underrated, but not anymore. Media and hockey fans alike now know Zetterberg as one of the league's elite and the best two way forward since Fedorov in the 90's. The most underrated might be Olli Jokinen, but how are you supposed to be a huge star if you haven't had a taste of the playoffs? I see Jokinen and raise you Brendan Morrow.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Most Overated in general, in no particular order: B. Richards, Thornton, Sundin.

Most Overated on LGW: Morrow

Most Underated In General: Alfie, Chara, Bouwmesiter

Most Underated on LGW: Hudler

I don't know why people are calling Sundin and Thornton overrated. Sundin has been one of the most consistent players of the last 15 years, and Thornton's constant 100 point seasons really say otherwise.

Nash is overrated, however he did have 54 points in 54 games in the 05-06 season so injuries stopped his production that year. Nonetheless, still overrated.

I still think Z might be one of the most underrated players, I don't think he gets as much recognition as he should. Dats gets more than he does and you could argue Z is better than him (but I'm not going to since they are both on my team :beerbuddy: )

Crosby is a great young player but overrated. He thinks way to much of himself and so does his Owner and Coach.

And so does Bettman his golden child.

Crosby says I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I want the Cup.... Pleaseeeee!!!!!!!!

Crosby is seriously overrated.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Crosby is overrated comment to show up :rolleyes:

Seriously, how is he overrated? He's got roughly a 1.40 PPG average in the regular season and a 1.28 PPG average in the playoffs. He can score, he's a great playmaker and has the vision and hockey sense that only a few players have. And he's only going to get better.

If you're going to complain he's overmarketed or came into the league overhyped, that's true, and its not his fault. He whines too much? He's the captain, even Yzerman yapped to the refs. When you come into the league with expectations to break Gretzky's records, you're not going to live up to those.

What does he have to do for LGW to not consider him overrated? Walk on water, cure cancer?

Most Overated in general, in no particular order: B. Richards, Thornton, Sundin.

Most Overated on LGW: Morrow

Most Underated In General: Alfie, Chara, Bouwmesiter

Most Underated on LGW: Hudler

I hate to break it to you but I'd be very willing to bet fans of any other NHL team in general would agree that Morrow is underrated.

BTW, Chara is not underrated. He gets the correct amount of hype.

Over: The Sedins (I consider them one player), Thomas (good goalie but I just don't see him as being as glorious as everyone makes out).

Under: Doan, Bouwmeester