• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jawbreaker

The Most Overrated/Underrated Superstar

Rate this topic

NEVER COMPARE CROSBY TO YZERMAN!!!!!

Too late

Yzerman's point production (1st half of his career) and 2 way play (2nd half of his career) were great to say the least. His numbers will be surpassed and defensive skill will be matched but his leadership and character are beyond that of what a phenom player will ever be able to achieve.

That doesn't mean Crosby is overrated.

Yzerman looked like he was going to kill the ref when he so called "yapped" at them. When you look at the great Captain Crosby it looks as though he might break into tears. I bet after the games he has a good cry where he looks back and tells himself, we would have won that game if Holmstrom was called for a penalty.

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what Crosby does :rolleyes:

Stamkos is doing a very good job as he enters the league with such comparisons as Yzerman and other greats. As he was interviewed during the season, he never answered any questions about himself. When they were asked he answered with eye rolls and talk about his team. When asked about playing with Vinny he says "yeah that would be great if I make the team".

As for Crosby, there are ways to handle those questions without seaming like a huge dusche bag. He just doesn't seem to want to say anything that makes me think is a good person. He seems more like a villain than a Hero.

What exactly does Crosby not do? I've always read that he's good with the fans, and he seems to conduct himself pretty humbly for the amazing amount of media attention he gets and the spotlight the NHL has put on him

He is only 20 and should mature. I can't say the guy is a huge ******* because I would probably have a big ego and list of excuses if at 20, I captained a team to the Finals and lost when everyone expected me to be the second coming of Wayne and the Edmonton Oilers.

Having a big ego doesn't mean he's overrated.

But NEVER COMPARE CROSBY TO YZERMAN. It is just disrespectful to Steve Yzerman and what he has done. The man is all about sacrifice, and I see nothing like that in Crosby.

You've still yet to show how Crosby is overrated.

I can't believe more people aren't mentioning Saku Koivu. The guy is grossly overrated for the amount of productions he puts up, and hasn't done much to lead his team anywhere beyond the 2nd round.

Gaborik is another guy everyone should have mentioned. The guy either plays a phenomenal game or he disappears out there and looks like a soft wuss. Also, he was pitiful in the playoffs for them last year.

Underrated would be Mike Richards. That guy is the next great captain of the NHL, just mark my words.

I can't believe more people aren't mentioning Saku Koivu. The guy is grossly overrated for the amount of productions he puts up, and hasn't done much to lead his team anywhere beyond the 2nd round.

Gaborik is another guy everyone should have mentioned. The guy either plays a phenomenal game or he disappears out there and looks like a soft wuss. Also, he was pitiful in the playoffs for them last year.

Underrated would be Mike Richards. That guy is the next great captain of the NHL, just mark my words.

i strongly agree with mike richards bein underrated hes a very good player and has no where to go btu up wayyy up

i strongly agree with mike richards bein underrated hes a very good player and has no where to go btu up wayyy up

Yeah Richards is a gun. Overrated - Henrik Sedin.

Iginla is up there with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lecavlier, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc, as one of the best players in the league.

On the topic of overrated, Shane Doan, by far. Solid second line player with some grit, but no power forward like Iginla.

Unless Crosby scores 50 goals in 39 games, 92 goals during the year, and 212 points he will be overrated. He is compared to THE GREAT ONE by all the NBC, ESPN, Gatoraid, and Eastons of this country.

That Makes him overrated. The other things he does makes him a dusche bag.

Let me put in it ways you can understand. His ego is the size of TEXAS. FYI; texas is NOT a country, it is a state. Spread the word.

That doesn't mean crosby is overrated either.

Edited by Wiser19

Iginla is up there with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lecavlier, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc, as one of the best players in the league.

On the topic of overrated, Shane Doan, by far. Solid second line player with some grit, but no power forward like Iginla.

Who said he was a power forward like Iginla and what crack were they on?

When I started this topic I would have never guessed that we would be talking about guys like Iginla, Thorton.

People talk about them as one of the best forwards in the league. And they have been putting up great numbers year after year. So logic says that they are both probably one of the best forwards in the league.

Crosby is very hyped for sure, but he has been stellar also. In my eyes he is only slightly overrated.

Some of are saying that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are underrated. In my opinion that is changed after our win. They get fairly enough credit from the fans and the media.

Would Hejduk count as a superstar at this point?

I've always thought he was overrated unless he has a great set-up man. Just look at the way that bum played against us in the playoffs when he had no one to pass to him. He was useless.

Unless Crosby scores 50 goals in 39 games, 92 goals during the year, and 212 points he will be overrated. He is compared to THE GREAT ONE by all the NBC, ESPN, Gatoraid, and Eastons of this country.

Let me put in it ways you can understand. His ego is the size of TEXAS. FYI; texas is NOT a country, it is a state. Spread the word.

1: He's never going to do that and we all know it. The way the game is played is way too different from when Gretzky played.

2: You haven't named anything he does that makes him a douchebag.

3: Texas is a sovereign nation ;)

Look, you want to hate Crosby for some reason, I really don't give a s***. Hate who you want. But if you're going to call him overrated, try to back up with something more than he's a dusche [sic] bag and that NBC compares him to Gretzky. Especially when every single person who claims to hate Crosby would kill to have him on their team. Let's try not to look like the petty Penguins fans, eh.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
I don't know why people are calling Sundin and Thornton overrated. Sundin has been one of the most consistent players of the last 15 years, and Thornton's constant 100 point seasons really say otherwise.

The Candian media hypes up Sundin as a franchise center, when he is not on a good team. Sundin is an all-star Caliber player, but not a true game breaker who can win a game all by himself.

Thornton is a much better player than Sundin imo, but not a top 5 forward in the NHL, as most make him out to be. He is overated Defensivly, his size is deceptive as he has never been a contact player, and if you take away his Wingers, he is to gun shy to shoot more. He is a quality first line Center, but not among the true elite in my books.

I hate to break it to you but I'd be very willing to bet fans of any other NHL team in general would agree that Morrow is underrated.

BTW, Chara is not underrated. He gets the correct amount of hype.

I hate to break it to you but this is an opinion based post, AND I posted on LGW. Morrow is an above average Power Forward, who has cracked 70 points once, yet on LGW, people think hes better than Iginla.

And yes Chara is underated, as he is currently a top 3 defensemen in the league, seeing as Pronger had an off year.

Nomination for the worst post ever.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
OVERRATED: IGINLA!!!

when being talked about on hockey shows here in canada, the above is mentioned as one of the best, if not THE best player in the league. all i can do when i hear such lies is laugh and turn the channel. what a load of bull. talented? yes. great player? yes. skills in the same league as hmmmm i don't know, let me see.... DATSYUK? HELL NO!!!! not even close! in fact i am ashamed to have even put datsyuk's name in the same discussion as iginla. and i guess for the same reasons you can say that crosby is overrated as well.

UNDERRATED: DATSYUK

in my opinion, based on skills alone (not talking about career stats), pavel datsyuk is the greatest player that has ever played the game of hockey! ever!

While I think you are going a bit overboard, I agree that Datsyuk is the best stickhandler and one on one player in the NHL as of now. If he was a bit bigger and stronger and faster (even just marginally in all those) he would be the prototype player in the NHL. If you gave him Malkins size and body and Reach WATCH OUT. I firmly belive that Datsyuk is the most natrually talented player in the NHL, as of now.

EDIT: Not saying I agree that he is the best player now yet alone ever. He needs to work on finishing for one thing.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Yeah, the fact that Crosby is a beast in the playoffs really makes him the ultimate asset if you ask me. Hart trophy, Art Ross trophy, Pearson... Out of any player in the NHL to have played a minimum of 3 seasons, Crosby does have the highest point per game average. Not overrated by any means, he was overrated before 05/06, things have changed.

He's a great young player, no doubt. However, I too, would put him in the overrated category right now. Yes, he's a phenomenal playmaker and offensive threat. However, that's where his game ends. He doesn't play defense and I can't get the image of him running off the ice every time Zetterberg stepped on the ice in Pitt. out of my mind. Plus, watching him sit helplessly on the bench during the pk and his inability to win important faceoffs hurt him and the team. Yet, if you listen to the hockey "experts" this guy can do everything. He can't. (yet) I compare him to Lebron James. Great, young, offensive talent. But in terms of all-around play, I'd take Kobe. Crosby is young and I assume he will learn how to win faceoffs and play defense. But right now, with all the hype he gets, he's overrated and WAY overexposed.

Even though I am saying he's overrated, he's still great, though. But to listen to everyone talk about the guy, you'd think he invented the game of hockey. He's exciting and fun to watch, but has holes in his game that should be addressed in order to become a complete player. And, yes, I'd love to have him on the Wings.

Edited by therock48880

I've always thought that Gonchar and Zubov were overrated due to their often lax attitude when playing in their own zone, despite their offenisve capabilities. I could say the same thing about Coffey or Leetch, or any other defenseman that was one-dimensional whether it may be offensive or defensive.

Yet, I've heard both Zubov and Gonchar mentioned before in previous seasons as possible Norris trophy winners. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Crosby is overrated comment to show up :rolleyes:

Seriously, how is he overrated? He's got roughly a 1.40 PPG average in the regular season and a 1.28 PPG average in the playoffs. He can score, he's a great playmaker and has the vision and hockey sense that only a few players have. And he's only going to get better.

If you're going to complain he's overmarketed or came into the league overhyped, that's true, and its not his fault. He whines too much? He's the captain, even Yzerman yapped to the refs. When you come into the league with expectations to break Gretzky's records, you're not going to live up to those.

What does he have to do for LGW to not consider him overrated? Walk on water, cure cancer?

Totally agree. Crosby won the Art Ross, Hart, and Lester B. Pearson trophies in his second season, and proceeded to captain a team to the Stanley Cup finals in his third season. Sure he's been promoted like crazy by the NHL, but the league really needs a new generational talent (like Gretzky or Lemieux) to get back on track, and I don't blame them for banking on Crosby.

And the whole "whining" thing is seriously overblown. I'd expect that from any 20-year old put in that kind of leadership position.

As for who actually is overrated, I'd have to go with Gaborik. We all know he's got some pretty solid skills, but he's yet to really accomplish anything.

Guest nutz2u
He's a great young player, no doubt. However, I too, would put him in the overrated category right now. Yes, he's a phenomenal playmaker and offensive threat. However, that's where his game ends. He doesn't play defense and I can't get the image of him running off the ice every time Zetterberg stepped on the ice in Pitt. out of my mind. Plus, watching him sit helplessly on the bench during the pk and his inability to win important faceoffs hurt him and the team. Yet, if you listen to the hockey "experts" this guy can do everything. He can't. (yet) I compare him to Lebron James. Great, young, offensive talent. But in terms of all-around play, I'd take Kobe. Crosby is young and I assume he will learn how to win faceoffs and play defense. But right now, with all the hype he gets, he's overrated and WAY overexposed.

Even though I am saying he's overrated, he's still great, though. But to listen to everyone talk about the guy, you'd think he invented the game of hockey. He's exciting and fun to watch, but has holes in his game that should be addressed in order to become a complete player. And, yes, I'd love to have him on the Wings.

What he said, and Sid does qualify as a ****** bag because he refused to give Z any credit for his steller play on the 5on3 or the Wings as a team. When he learns there is no I in team then I might be able to stop gagging every time someone starts bleating about him being a class act.

I've posted this in another thread.

Pittsburgh Penguins' franchise record for assists in a season by a rookie

Pittsburgh Penguins' franchise record for points in a season by a rookie

First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season

Youngest player in NHL history to record 100 points in a season

Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points

Youngest player in NHL history to have 2 consecutive 100 point seasons.

Youngest player to be voted to the NHL All-Star Game

Youngest player in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy

Youngest player in NHL history to win the Lester B. Pearson Award

Youngest player in NHL history to be named to the First All-Star Team

Youngest player in NHL history to be named a full team captain

He is the seventh player in NHL history to earn the three highest honours, which are the highest individual awards for an NHL forward.

Are you sure he's overrated? He sure as hell seems to be living up to his expectations, keep in mind these records were set during HIS TEENAGE YEARS!

Man the Crosby drama follows everywhere!!

I know some do not like supporting or praising your own players but....

I think Datsyuk is a bit underrated. Fantastic on both sides of the ice. I think there are others but my scope is to slight.

As far as overrated, I am not really sure I can only think short sighted and selfishly. I want to go into goalies for my overrated.... Osgood.

Sike!!!!!!!!!!

I think that Cleary's pretty underrated. At least on our team. He's on the 3rd line, yet he's scored more goals in less games than Fil, who's on the 2nd line, and had 2 back to back 20 goal seasons. Plus he's a hard worker and isn't afraid to kick pronger's ass.

Not necessarily an elite "superstar" but I think Patrick Sharp is a very underrated player. Career high 36 goals last year too.

I think Daniel Briere is overrated, 72 pts last year and a -22 at 10 mil...yuck!

Yeah, but this was after two seasons of being the best player on a really good team. He was the ideal player for the new NHL, quick and gritty without getting too many penalties. He wasn't stellar this season, but he wasn't bad. He had an off season, I expect things to pick up next season.

underrated - Jere Lehtinen and someone already snapped on Morrow so I cant add him.

The eurotwins Pav and Hank especially when vs crosby.

Over rated - crosby is over rated and the eurotwins are underrated especially considering all they have done and between the two of them this year they have won three trophies, Smythe, Selke, and Lady Byng and crosby never won any this year.

but to hear the nhl and don cherry who is btw the biggest homer I have ever seen, Crosby is the second coming of jesus and the eurotwins are pffft.

yes Crosby has many accomplishment, but for Pete's sake....

btw I do not see how Koivu is overrated. He is a good leader and captain even though he hasnt led his team to the cup yet but he has done well for a leader.

Have some of you got short memories or something, criticizing Koivu yet you seem to have not remember what it feels like to have capt Yzerman criticized cause he never led his team to the cup.....

just cause he hasnt won cup yet does not mean hes overrated.