• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jawbreaker

The Most Overrated/Underrated Superstar

Rate this topic

underrated - Jere Lehtinen and someone already snapped on Morrow so I cant add him.

The eurotwins Pav and Hank especially when vs crosby.

Over rated - crosby is over rated and the eurotwins are underrated especially considering all they have done and between the two of them this year they have won three trophies, Smythe, Selke, and Lady Byng and crosby never won any this year.

but to hear the nhl and don cherry who is btw the biggest homer I have ever seen, Crosby is the second coming of jesus and the eurotwins are pffft.

yes Crosby has many accomplishment, but for Pete's sake....

btw I do not see how Koivu is overrated. He is a good leader and captain even though he hasnt led his team to the cup yet but he has done well for a leader.

Have some of you got short memories or something, criticizing Koivu yet you seem to have not remember what it feels like to have capt Yzerman criticized cause he never led his team to the cup.....

just cause he hasnt won cup yet does not mean hes overrated.

IIRC, doesn't Cherry practically hate Crosby?

IIRC, doesn't Cherry practically hate Crosby?

no. cherry has said he doesnt hate crosby, he criticized croby for the whining and diving (the same as he had doner he said for Lemieux and Gretzky when they used to do the same way back when) but he doesnt hate Crosby.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Underated...

Rick Nash

Jere Lethinen

Overrated.....

Gaborik

Jokinen

This is likely to get me crucified, but...

Overrated: Brodeur

It's funny how the talent of Red Wings goaltenders over the years has always been downplayed due to their playing behind a stellar defensive corps. So why hasn't that happened to Brodeur? He played behind one of the most stifling defensive-minded teams in recent history, but everyone and their mother credits HIM with their success. Now that the Devils have been on the downswing defensively (without a subsequent increase in their offensive game), Brodeur is much more likely to have a bad game in which he actually gets pulled - something that was absolutely unheard of a few seasons ago. Age could play a factor in this (particularly last season), but overall, I believe the failure of the Devils' defensive mindset the past couple years has exposed Marty for what he is - overrated.

Let the flames fly. :lol:

I know a lot of you say that Crosby is overrated, but think about this..... Is he really overrated or over talked about? I mean, i think he has the numbers to back up the fact that he's a super star. I think its just the fact that no one ever shuts up about him.

Edited by raasc1dj

What does he have to do for LGW to not consider him overrated? Walk on water, cure cancer?

That's next for young Sid. <_<

Honestly, he is one of the best young players in the NHL. Is he what the media and the ass-clown commish make him out to be? NOT YET. Does he have the potential to be? Yes. Therefore, he is overrated for now.

Also, statistics don't tell the whole story. A player may put up fantastic numbers, but be overrated in other ways. Thorton may have multiple 100 point seasons, but I personally don't see him as being much of a leader - at least not by example. Same for Iginla. Great player, but the way that he conducts himself (07 playoffs come to mind) on the ice sometimes is questionable. You don't start cheapshotting at the end of a game because you are clearly going to lose. That's not toughness, that's immaturity. Don't give me that "sending a message" crap either.

And Yes, I would take Iginla on the Wings in a heartbeat.

Edited by hamip1998

I hate to break it to you but this is an opinion based post, AND I posted on LGW. Morrow is an above average Power Forward, who has cracked 70 points once, yet on LGW, people think hes better than Iginla.

And yes Chara is underated, as he is currently a top 3 defensemen in the league, seeing as Pronger had an off year.

Morrow is most certainly not better than Iginla, and I would never imply that he is. As for Morrow being underrated, I'm not just looking at his numbers. I fear you may be.

I hate to break it to you but this is an opinion based post, AND I posted on LGW. Morrow is an above average Power Forward, who has cracked 70 points once, yet on LGW, people think hes better than Iginla.

And yes Chara is underated, as he is currently a top 3 defensemen in the league, seeing as Pronger had an off year.

That's interesting.....last I checked, Chara was one of the three finalists for the Norris Trophy, meaning currently one of the top 3 defensemen in the game. That means he's getting plenty of credit, and IMO the correct amount. He may be underrated on LGW because of Lidstrom, but everyone else who watches the entire NHL knows full well the level of player Chara is and gives him the proper amount of credit.

I must say that Jason Spezza is pretty overrated also. Many people actually think that he is a better playmaker than Datsyuk. He also likes to give the puck away too much, and his defensive game is average at best. He has great players on his line, and that makes him better. Also I would not put Heatley in the same category as Kovy & Iginla. So he is slightly overrated also in my eyes.

From Buffalo Derek Roy, and Jason Pominville are pretty underrated. They are both ppg players, but nobody is talking about them.

The problem for Nash is that he's never, ever been on a prolific team with a great center. Yeah, Fedorov was there for a bit but Fedorov isn't a "great" offensive center anymore.

You put Nash on a better team with a true, legit #1 center and I think he has no problem ripping 40-50 goals in his sleep.

Calling him overrated b/c the Jackets don't surround him with guns like AO has in Washington, Semin, Backstrom, Green, etc... isn't fair. And thinking of him as anything other than a power forward, sniper isn't fair either. Nash will never be a setup man or score 100 points b/c he doesn't get the assists. He's a goal machine, that's all he's supposed to do. And no, 1 single player cannot carry a team as so-so as the Blue Jackets have been.

The BJ's were 29th in offense last year, 28th the year before, 28th again the year before, and now Hitch is firmly entrenched as their coach. A pure scorer like Nash is not going to thrive in that kind of environment when it comes to personal stats.

I don't think he's overrated simply b/c he's magical when paired with better players like in the world's when he had time with top liners like Thornton and Heatley.

QFT.

I would love to see Nash in the Winged Wheel. Hopefully Mule will be able to consistently fill the need for that type of player (size, hands, etc).

The problem for Nash is that he's never, ever been on a prolific team with a great center. Yeah, Fedorov was there for a bit but Fedorov isn't a "great" offensive center anymore.

You put Nash on a better team with a true, legit #1 center and I think he has no problem ripping 40-50 goals in his sleep.

Calling him overrated b/c the Jackets don't surround him with guns like AO has in Washington, Semin, Backstrom, Green, etc... isn't fair. And thinking of him as anything other than a power forward, sniper isn't fair either. Nash will never be a setup man or score 100 points b/c he doesn't get the assists. He's a goal machine, that's all he's supposed to do. And no, 1 single player cannot carry a team as so-so as the Blue Jackets have been.

The BJ's were 29th in offense last year, 28th the year before, 28th again the year before, and now Hitch is firmly entrenched as their coach. A pure scorer like Nash is not going to thrive in that kind of environment when it comes to personal stats.

I don't think he's overrated simply b/c he's magical when paired with better players like in the world's when he had time with top liners like Thornton and Heatley.

This is what I call overrating Rick Nash. You have to put this goal machine with the legit #1 center to get 40-50 goals? That doesn't sound like goal machine to me. And comparing him with Ovechkin is normal. Sure, AO had a solid team around him last year. But in his rookie season he was alone (Zubrus was only solid player), and he still managed to score 52 goals. Kovalchuk is playing also alone and still scoring 50. I don't expect 50-60 goals from Nash. But 40 goals should such a superstar score every year, even without good #1 center.

The Candian media hypes up Sundin as a franchise center, when he is not on a good team. Sundin is an all-star Caliber player, but not a true game breaker who can win a game all by himself.

Thornton is a much better player than Sundin imo, but not a top 5 forward in the NHL, as most make him out to be. He is overated Defensivly, his size is deceptive as he has never been a contact player, and if you take away his Wingers, he is to gun shy to shoot more. He is a quality first line Center, but not among the true elite in my books.

I believe he is the highest paid defensemen in the league

Overrated: Thornton, Phaneuf, Sundin, Malkin, Crosby (yes, he is good, just not in the same league as Gretzky and Lemieux who he is frequently compared to)

Underrated: Datsyuk, Nash, Gaborik, Hossa (mentioned in the Finals by the press but was lost with Crosby and Malkin, but he was the LAST Pen I wanted to see with the puck inside the circles),

This is likely to get me crucified, but...

Overrated: Brodeur

It's funny how the talent of Red Wings goaltenders over the years has always been downplayed due to their playing behind a stellar defensive corps. So why hasn't that happened to Brodeur? He played behind one of the most stifling defensive-minded teams in recent history, but everyone and their mother credits HIM with their success. Now that the Devils have been on the downswing defensively (without a subsequent increase in their offensive game), Brodeur is much more likely to have a bad game in which he actually gets pulled - something that was absolutely unheard of a few seasons ago. Age could play a factor in this (particularly last season), but overall, I believe the failure of the Devils' defensive mindset the past couple years has exposed Marty for what he is - overrated.

Let the flames fly. :lol:

In all truth I agree with Brodeur being overrrated. In fact with the migration away from a staunch defensive mindset in NJ, I would not only not be surprised if he wasn't considered good this year. The Devil's of the past always had one of the best D's in the league. Mnay goalies could have put up similar numbers when you see so very few good shots coming in.

Also overrated that I have not seen on this board: Theodore. The guys one really good season in Montreal was a fluke. That team rallied behind Koivu (sp) and they all played out of their minds that year. Theodore is making an entire career out of that season (it isnt the first time a player has made a career off of one season, nor will it be the last). Theodore is not a top 10 goalie in the league and yet he is getting paid more than the NHL's most underrated goalie last year, Osgood.

As far as underrated goes, I see Osgood near the top of the list. IMO he should be considered a lock for the HHOF after he retires based on his play on not only good defensive teams (the Wings), but also on very poor defensive teams. IMO the credit given to Brodeur should in fact be given to Osgood, yeah he doesnt have the wins that Brodeur does, but when you start 75 games in a season things tend to skewed in your favor. Detroit has never called on Ozzie to start that many games.

But I want to mention the most underrated team and goalie in the NHL both are in Texas. Turco, (if he could ever figure out how to consistently play well in Detroit, we would be in trouble) is an outstanding goalie that while certain aspects of his game are not underrrated (puck handling) he does not get the credit he deserves, since he took over from the Eagle. Turco is a fantastic goalie who is much better than he gets credit for. As far as underrated team the Stars, which leads me to my next point... Brendan Morrow. Morrow is not a top 5 forward, nor will he ever be. What people dont realize is that he carries that team emotionally. After games 3&4 in Dallas, I was talking to Turco, Modano and Morrow, underneath the stands at AA Centre. The man will never score 200 points in a season, but he knows how to lead a team, and his over all skill set is quietly quite good and very few people outside of Dallas take notice to this. His leadership is what is underrated, he leads by example and is not afraid to get dirty. Morrow brought a team that was not as talented and LED them not only past two teams with superior talent, but two teams that beat them in their own division.

I tried to stay away from praising the Wings, and I would like to note that while I do reside in Dallas, and I go to Stars games, I am not by any means a Stars fan. I just get to see them play and have realized that while they aren't the best team, they don't get all the credit they deserve.

I believe he is the highest paid defensemen in the league

Could you please expand on this comment?

Being the highest paid does not mean much, especially when anyone thinks back to what Yashin was being paid at one time...

Edited by Rivalred

Could you please expand on this comment?

Being the highest paid does not mean much, especially when anyone things back to what Yashin was being paid at one time...

Yashin was overrated right?

How can a player be underrated when he's being paid top dollar? I should of expanded my bad.

I have a hard time calling Joe T overrated, whom has he ever had on his wing, Cheechoo, Michalek? Those are not scoring threats, take Joe away from them and they become very average players, if he had a wing like Hossa, Kovi, Heatley, hell even a aged Selanne he would be an absolute machine, as it is he has some damn impressive numbers.

Thornton is a PPG player as well as a PMPG player, no not p.i.m.p, penalty minute per game (Yes I made that up!).

754gp 240g 516a 756pts 775Pims

Yes his postseason stats have been not great, but again who has he had to make him better, even better question what teammate has stepped up in the postseason to make anyone think of playing Defense against another player on his team.

Marleau is a complete playoff disappointment, and in Boston, well it was Boston lets just leave it at that!

I have never understood the he is a overrated player comment.

MY most underrated player would be Marc Savard, he passes and sets up almost as well as Dats, he is a very fiery competitor who should never have signed in Boston, he will rot away there right next to Bergereon and Lucic (unless they are lucky enough to get traded).

I have a hard time calling Joe T overrated, whom has he ever had on his wing, Cheechoo, Michalek? Those are not scoring threats, take Joe away from them and they become very average players, if he had a wing like Hossa, Kovi, Heatley, hell even a aged Selanne he would be an absolute machine, as it is he has some damn impressive numbers.

Thornton is a PPG player as well as a PMPG player, no not p.i.m.p, penalty minute per game (Yes I made that up!).

754gp 240g 516a 756pts 775Pims

Yes his postseason stats have been not great, but again who has he had to make him better, even better question what teammate has stepped up in the postseason to make anyone think of playing Defense against another player on his team.

Marleau is a complete playoff disappointment, and in Boston, well it was Boston lets just leave it at that!

I have never understood the he is a overrated player comment.

MY most underrated player would be Marc Savard, he passes and sets up almost as well as Dats, he is a very fiery competitor who should never have signed in Boston, he will rot away there right next to Bergereon and Lucic (unless they are lucky enough to get traded).

Good post about Thorton. And yes, Savard is often overlooked, plus his defensive game has improved also.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Crosby is overrated comment to show up :rolleyes:

Seriously, how is he overrated? He's got roughly a 1.40 PPG average in the regular season and a 1.28 PPG average in the playoffs. He can score, he's a great playmaker and has the vision and hockey sense that only a few players have. And he's only going to get better.

[/b]If you're going to complain he's overmarketed or came into the league overhyped, that's true, and its not his fault. He whines too much? He's the captain, even Yzerman yapped to the refs. When you come into the league with expectations to break Gretzky's records, you're not going to live up to those.[/b]

What does he have to do for LGW to not consider him overrated? Walk on water, cure cancer?

But when people argue he's overrated thats exactly what they are looking at right there. You can be overrated but still a great player. People, most people anyways, aren't saying he isn't great. The defintion of overrated is "To overestimate the merits of or to rate too highly." And when the NHL and the media keep on saying he is the best player in the league when there are others who are just as good, then that would be overrating. No it's not his fault but when a player is "overrated" is it ever the players fault? It's always the hype from elsewhere. He is a top player in the league for sure but not what some people make him out to be.

Edited by StevieY9802

Yashin was overrated right?

How can a player be underrated when he's being paid top dollar? I should of expanded my bad.

I do not think a dollar amount is a realistic way to measure a players worth to some degree; just needed to clear that up. You may not of been implying that, but I wanted to make sure as there are underrated and overrated players who are overpaid or being the highest paid. Some of this years signings around the NHL is proof of that...

I do not think a dollar amount is a realistic way to measure a players worth to some degree; just needed to clear that up. You may not of been implying that, but I wanted to make sure as there are underrated and overrated players who are overpaid or being the highest paid. Some of this years signings around the NHL is proof of that...

Your telling me Jeff Finger is not the best defenseman in the NHL? :P

i no im gonna get torn apart for this one but i honestly think raycroft is seriously underrated and got screwed over by a dumbass GM in toronto

i no im gonna get torn apart for this one but i honestly think raycroft is seriously underrated and got screwed over by a dumbass GM in toronto

Did you happen to see any of him in Boston?

If not I can understand why you would think he is underrated, if you had you would see that his bad rebound control is a product of his own skill not anyone else's.

He had good numbers in Boston, but just never seemed to be able to get over the hump, he looks like the real deal, he makes some great saves, but he tends to give up a ton of juicy, fat, medium rare rebounds. Having said that you put him in Detroit or Anaheim with a very responsible defensive corp of defense man and you have a much better statistical goaltender, because those defenses help him clear out rebounds. However, as you pointed out, in Toronto the GM paid lots of loot to offensive defense man, which unfortunately meant 50% (random number I picked) of his rebounds went to the opposition.