• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holiday

Are we really Hockeytown?

Rate this topic

I hear all this mumbo jumbo about how Detroit fans aren't as loyal as Pittsburgh fans or Buffalo fans, and how the Wings don't sell out all their games and how the Wings fans are spoiled.

Also, I found a video of our very own Katrina Hancock speaking to a Pittsburgh reporter on how Pittsburgh fans are so much better than Wings fans.

So are we Hockeytown? Do we have the best fans? Is there a reason why we aren't selling out all our games? Please enlighten me to your opinions.

we wouldn't be called it if it wasn't true. but seriously, leaf fans from like early 90's - early 2000's were more faithful and die hard than anyone. now they are all cynical, doubtful fans (a lot of them)

large_00stanley.jpg

Yes, cause we have something those other teams don't.

We're not hockeytown because of our fanbase,

We're not hockeytown because of our arena

We're not hockeytown because of our superstars

we're hockeytown because we're the most successful american hockey team in nhl history.

and in 11 years we've won 4 Stanley cups and are the closest to a dynasty the nhl is going to see for the time being.

large_00stanley.jpg

we're hockeytown because we're the most successful american hockey team in nhl history.

and in 11 years we've won 4 Stanley cups and are the closest to a dynasty the nhl is going to see for the time being.

Way to sum it up! "We are the Hockeytown! ARRRRR!!"

large_00stanley.jpg

Bellissimo :clap: We're Hockeytown because...well because we just are and anyone who says otherwise is just jealous!!!

what does katrina hancock know anyways? I love when cities that had teams bankrupt and ready to relocate have 2 good seasons and think they are hockeytown. Buffolo will never be hockeytown because the dont win anything and they almost lost their team, pittsburgh almost lost their team and in their 41 years of existence they had maybe 8 good seasons. Minnesota lost a team and they cant win anything.

Detroit Red Wings, best US hockey team ever, best sports team (arguably) since 1995, best hockey team of the past decade and a half, and only once our state's economy and population went to s*** was attendance ever an issue. And lets not even mention all the legends that have played, owned and coached as a detroit red wing.

I would venture to say that detroit is in the worst (and if not +1 at least top 5) economic state of any US city at present. When your entire cities infrastructure is based on an industry that is wavering in sales and making job cuts like its going out of style, ticket sales will suffer. they just will. I challenge anyone to find a city that is in a terrible economic state and still sells out every HOCKEY game (other sports don't count because they, hate it or not, are far more popular and have more fans willing to go to games). I mean the topic did say HOCKEYTOWN.

In a word: YES. The big D IS HOCKEYTOWN. /story

anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.

In addition: i challenge anyone to submit a hockey team that has more fans at AWAY GAMES than the detroit red wings. go ahead. it can't be done. I've been to wings games in 5 US cities (LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix, and Detroit) and I have yet to attend a single one where the Wings fans made up less than 40% of the Crowd. Hell, Wings fans are more often than not LOUDER than the home fans (if you discount the goal horn and music the home team gets). And I go to kings/ducks games on a regular basis that the wings aren't playing in, and the crowds are MAYBE 15-20% Away fans. usually less.

case in point. wings fans span far and wide. no other hockey team compares.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

The day another city/team is considered hockey town, ill stop watching hockey..

Detroit is and always will be.. It's not our fault the economy took a s***, its not our fault tickets are expensive and transportation to the games are equaly expensive. its not our fault that our un-employment rate is at an all time high, Its not our fault that families dont have extra money left over anymore..

People are in a bind. There are people who are strugglin there asses off to survive in michigan and worrying about filling the joe is the last thing on there mind. Between all that s***, Detroit needs to be exempt until further notice about not having true fans..

sorry fans cant come to multiple games a year. Our economy wont allow it.

In the words of D-Mac "I'll punch anyone in the face" who thinks we aren't hockeytown USA

You should know better then that.. LGW is an anti-fighting community. Dont get them rilled up with your hate speach

/joke.

I just wish we didn't actually own the name, 'Hockey Town'. That way it wouldn't be such a big deal. We could actually argue with other fans about who is the Hockey Town, instead of it being us against the world.

I just wish we didn't actually own the name, 'Hockey Town'. That way it wouldn't be such a big deal. We could actually argue with other fans about who is the Hockey Town, instead of it being us against the world.

I prefer if the way it is actually. We own it. They don't. Debate it all they want, nothing's going to change it.

Buffalo fans are loyal? :lol:

Pittsburgh fans are loyal? :lol:

Please. Oh, how quickly people forget the pre-lockout days when both of these teams were in the attendance doldrums, barely scraping 10,000 a night. A couple of winning seasons later, everyone thinks these two teams have the greatest fanbases in the world. No, f*** them, they don't. Just because their a bunch of loud bandwagoners doesn't make them the next Hockeytown, even though that seems to be the standard now.

Seriously, screw this whole fanbase crap. Detroit is Hockeytown because the Wings rock, and are constantly one of the best teams season in and season out. Can any of these other cities that are being called Hockeytown say their team has won 4 Stanley Cup's in the last 11 years? Or, for that matter, even say they can put together successive winning records in the regular season for a couple year's straight? No, they can't. In Buffalo's case, they can't even say they've won a Cup in the entire team's history.

Detroit is Hockeytown; it always will be, no matter what the media says otherwise.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest CaliWingsNut

What is hockeytown?

no... I'm serious... give me a definition.

Now make a definition that the general public will agree with.

Until you define what we are talking about you can't say that we are or are not. Other than the obvious, it's catchy and the great people of detroit like to have it referred to as hockeytown rather than be linked to the rest of the oh so wonderful city.

So don't rain on the parade please?

I'm a Wings fan from Montreal, and I love telling Habs fan that Detroit is the real hockeytown, but I doubt it.

I think Montreal is, I mean here in Montreal we speak about hockey all year round, this summer it's the Sundin story, even when the Expos where in town on the radio stations the people spoke more about the NHL than the Expos.

I like it, because I can make fun of the Habs fan all year long.

Go Wings Go

Detroit is Hockeytown. End of story.

I'll sit through the stupid fan signs on the jumbotron that say "We are the Real Hockeytown" (and there were a lot of them here in Buffalo), look at my wife and shake my head, and then watch the Wings dismantle the Sabres (again) and show them how "the Big Red Machine" does things.

Then I'll shake my head at drunk Wings fan who taunts Sabres fans (most of them very family friendly), and laugh just a little bit... it will be a glorious night.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Zion