• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CrossoverThrash

Gary thorne

Rate this topic

There's excitement with dignity and class, like Bob Cole and Chris Cuthbert, then there's just yelling for yelling's sake like Thorne does. It's great to get excited, but you have to know how and when to tone it back down.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

You call that excitement? That is one of the most boring play-by-play calls I've ever heard for such an exciting, dramatic moment.

"The shot. Went wide. And the game is over." Pardon me if I'm not getting chills.

Thorne and Clement were the best, too many memories of them calling our epic victories.

Bob Cole on CBC is effing terrible. I watched that youtube video and made some comments on it, the video poster called me a stupid American and told me that I should stick to my own sports... lol......

Edited by ashenhigh

When I think of Thorne, I think "DRAMA."

When I think of Doc, I think "Guy might as well be an old lady who doesn't believe in the Internet."

It's all about Thorne's voice, really.

I like Thorne's ability to set the drama. I remember from the 1997 SCF when he said something like "15,395 days", referring to the last time they won a Cup. That made it seem even longer.

His calls like the game 7 call in 1996 against St. Louis with Yzerman are classic and I always liked hearing him yell "Shanahan!".

You call that excitement? That is one of the most boring play-by-play calls I've ever heard for such an exciting, dramatic moment.

"The shot. Went wide. And the game is over." Pardon me if I'm not getting chills.

No, that was not "excitement". Nor was it boring. It actually kinda mirrored the emotion of that moment... as that last-second play developed, I got nervous as Pit approached the net and got that shot off, and when it looked as though they might score, then the buzzer went, I didn't move, breathe, blink, or think for about 5 seconds. All I could do was stare at the screen before the feeling of relief hit me, then the realization that the Wings won. There could have been more emotion in Cole's call, but do we really need some screaming a-hole (Thorne, Emrick, etc) to tell us that the Wings won it?

I don't.

No, that was not "excitement". Nor was it boring. It actually kinda mirrored the emotion of that moment... as that last-second play developed, I got nervous as Pit approached the net and got that shot off, and when it looked as though they might score, then the buzzer went, I didn't move, breathe, blink, or think for about 5 seconds. All I could do was stare at the screen before the feeling of relief hit me, then the realization that the Wings won. There could have been more emotion in Cole's call, but do we really need some screaming a-hole (Thorne, Emrick, etc) to tell us that the Wings won it?

I don't.

Sorry but I'm going to have to agree that watching those last few seconds was not exciting with that play by play. I normally like him but that was pretty boring.

Sorry but I'm going to have to agree that watching those last few seconds was not exciting with that play by play. I normally like him but that was pretty boring.

The GAME itself wasn't excitement enough for you guys?

Like I said, it could have been a better call, yes, but I'd rather have that than Emrick or Thorne screaming.

The commentator should be secondary to the game, not the other way around.

Like I said, it could have been a better call, yes, but I'd rather have that than Emrick or Thorne screaming.

The game was, but after watching that his voice just ruined the big deal.

You don't want to listen to some commentator act like he doesn't care.

But he never knows whats going on, i think thorne picked his places right. Thorne says stuff at the perfect time to make it that much better even if it is already totally awesome and you dont htink it could possibly get more exciting. Thorne never was more important to the game itself to me.

Nonsense. Like Crymson said.....if anything, Thorne was biased in favor of the Wings. But I doubt either is the case.

Thorne was an excellent broadcaster. Simply excellent. Exciteable, but exciteable at the right moments. And his voice is miles better than Emrick's.

Anyway, I think the OP's premise is wrong - I don't think Thorne is employed by ESPN any more. Currently Thorne is broadcasting Baltimore Orioles games for the local Maryland station, MASN.

I hope you're kidding. Thorne openly and publicly stated that he was an Avs fan and that he felt the Wings bought their championships.

Not to mention his complete ignorance of the game itself and the players who were playing. Once Foreskin ran into Homer and Homer dove. Thorne said something to the effect, "Forseberg just knocked over Thomas Holmstrom!!!! And let me tell you, that's not an easy thing to do!!!" He was terrbily excited about it. Of course if he'd had any knowledge of Homer, he would have realized that Homer falls over quite easily. Don't forget, he was also caught lying about the Schilling sock saying Mirabella told him it was ketchup on the sock.

Here's some more of his baseball gems from awfulannouncing.com

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/0...y-clueless.html

I hope you're kidding. Thorne openly and publicly stated that he was an Avs fan and that he felt the Wings bought their championships.

Not to mention his complete ignorance of the game itself and the players who were playing. Once Foreskin ran into Homer and Homer dove. Thorne said something to the effect, "Forseberg just knocked over Thomas Holmstrom!!!! And let me tell you, that's not an easy thing to do!!!" He was terrbily excited about it. Of course if he'd had any knowledge of Homer, he would have realized that Homer falls over quite easily. Don't forget, he was also caught lying about the Schilling sock saying Mirabella told him it was ketchup on the sock.

Here's some more of his baseball gems from awfulannouncing.com

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/0...y-clueless.html

When did he ever say that? If he was a divealanche homer, he never sounded like it during the broadcasts.

Everyone here knows my level of paranoia, and yet even I don't think Thorne was a homer against us.

I've always enjoyed Ken and Mickey. Thorne and Clement were awesome because usually they called the big games and have a lot of the big time Red Wings moments.I would love to have them and the excitement they bring back.

The Nbc people were so biased towards the Penguins that I honestly was furious just listening to it all series.

Man... I really forgot how much I missed Gary Thorne and Bill Clement until hearing all those clips. Much better that Doc and Eddie, imo.

Doc's ok, but Thorne just seemed to me to get more excited as the game, and series wore on, and his calls during those big goals always gives me goosebumps. It also helps that he called my 3 favorite Wings goals...

"McCarty drops back with Niinimaa in front of him, McCarty draws, McCarty in, McCarty SCORES!!! A magnificent goal, Darren McCarty!"

"...Lidstrom shot, Yzerman knocked it down, and a great save, THE GOAL COUNTS, THE GOAL COUNTS,

!"

"Gretzky had it, lost it, Yzerman picks it up. Yzerman moving, blue line chance, SCORES, STEVE YZERMAN, DETROIT WINS!"

Gives me chills just thinking about them...

I will never forget the statue of liberty play where Wah the Arrogant thought he was once again, King of the Net. Thank you for the reminder AND the vid.

Nonsense. Like Crymson said.....if anything, Thorne was biased in favor of the Wings. But I doubt either is the case.

Thorne was an excellent broadcaster. Simply excellent. Exciteable, but exciteable at the right moments. And his voice is miles better than Emrick's.

Anyway, I think the OP's premise is wrong - I don't think Thorne is employed by ESPN any more. Currently Thorne is broadcasting Baltimore Orioles games for the local Maryland station, MASN.

I agree that Thorne is one of the best. Calling ANY kind of live action has to be difficult and with the speed of hockey, almost impossible. Of course he's made mistakes. Who the hell wouldn't under that kind of pressure? But he's still very focused, intense and involved and the resonance in his voice only adds to the drama. I've really never noticed any overt bias on his (or Clement's) part.

Doc's OK and I understand he and Eddie had to balance their delivery during the finals but they went overboard in praising the Penguins till it became a whole new and unreal event and had very little to do with what was happening on the ice.

Ken and Mickey are also excellent The worst? The Anaheim announcers.

Man... I really forgot how much I missed Gary Thorne and Bill Clement until hearing all those clips. Much better that Doc and Eddie, imo.

Doc's ok, but Thorne just seemed to me to get more excited as the game, and series wore on, and his calls during those big goals always gives me goosebumps. It also helps that he called my 3 favorite Wings goals...

"McCarty drops back with Niinimaa in front of him, McCarty draws, McCarty in, McCarty SCORES!!! A magnificent goal, Darren McCarty!"

"...Lidstrom shot, Yzerman knocked it down, and a great save, THE GOAL COUNTS, THE GOAL COUNTS,

!"

"Gretzky had it, lost it, Yzerman picks it up. Yzerman moving, blue line chance, SCORES, STEVE YZERMAN, DETROIT WINS!"

Gives me chills just thinking about them...

yea im with u he was the best anyone rember nhl 2k5?? that was the best

I agree that Thorne is one of the best. Calling ANY kind of live action has to be difficult and with the speed of hockey, almost impossible. Of course he's made mistakes. Who the hell wouldn't under that kind of pressure? But he's still very focused, intense and involved and the resonance in his voice only adds to the drama. I've really never noticed any overt bias on his (or Clement's) part.

Doc's OK and I understand he and Eddie had to balance their delivery during the finals but they went overboard in praising the Penguins till it became a whole new and unreal event and had very little to do with what was happening on the ice.

Ken and Mickey are also excellent The worst? The Anaheim announcers.

Edzo is naturally biased. he coached the pens and i believe he played for them and chicago. im too lazy to look it up. and i thought doc emerick was biased in favor of the wings if anything. i remember him talking about ernie harwell one game. pierre mcquire is just an idiot and mike millbury makes pierre look smart so i dont pay attention to either of them.

oh and the avs announcers blow too.

imagine rick jeanneret doing national tv!

The idea that Thorne had/has an Avalanche bias is absurd.

I may be way off base here, but it always seemed to me that he/everyone at ESPN had a gigantic hard-on for Peter Forsberg, which I could see being interpreted as an Avs bias.

Edited by SeeinRed

Edzo is naturally biased. he coached the pens and i believe he played for them and chicago. im too lazy to look it up. and i thought doc emerick was biased in favor of the wings if anything. i remember him talking about ernie harwell one game. pierre mcquire is just an idiot and mike millbury makes pierre look smart so i dont pay attention to either of them.

oh and the avs announcers blow too.

imagine rick jeanneret doing national tv!

A part of me would like it and another part of me wouldn't. This guy is so much a part of the fabric of Sabres hockey that he really belongs to Buffalo. He's in his late 60s and probably won't be doing games for much longer.