• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Filppula signs 5-Year, $15M contract

Rate this topic

Great deal. The Wings had nobody in their organization to replace him with in the next few years. Not sure where the concern for the lack of scoring is coming from. He had more goals than Datsyuk or Z at the same age.

Yeah, because the tri goalie thing in 03-04 was the epitome of class. Give me a break, it's not like Ken Holland and Jim Nill would pass on a trade for Stamkos for Maltby because "Maltby has been a long time Red Wing and it would break loyalty".

The Wings are a classy orginization but I would hope building a competive team would be higher on the list.

And how would you have handled that situation any better? As you say later in your post, the Wings are about building a competitive team and at the time had an unlimited check book. What would your "classy" solution to that situation have been?

Yeah, because the tri goalie thing in 03-04 was the epitome of class. Give me a break, it's not like Ken Holland and Jim Nill would pass on a trade for Stamkos for Maltby because "Maltby has been a long time Red Wing and it would break loyalty".

The Wings are a classy orginization but I would hope building a competive team would be higher on the list.

What kind of question is this? Talk about ridiculous, beyond unrealistic, and something I never insinuated.

How do you expect the Wings to continue building a competitive team if they sign and trade UFA's? What UFA in their right-mind would sign with us knowing that they could be moved less than a month later to some crap organization?

Locking up Fil for 5 years ought to be worth the sticker shock of taking a $3million cap hit. If he can score 20-25 consistently and keep up his defense, it'll be a bargain. Cap space looks tight though--let's hope that the big money guys deliver.

I could see Lilja being traded to make room, but according to nhlnumbers.com there is 0.610 million left but that puts ericssons 900k into the figure so make that 1.510 million under cap since ericsson will be in grand rapids. So that is 1.5 million for chelios and either McCarty or Downey.

So expect Cheli to sign a 1 year deal at about 700 k and then Downey and or McCarty to take the league minimum, leaving a "tiny" meaning almost nothing, room under cap.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
And how would you have handled that situation any better? As you say later in your post, the Wings are about building a competitive team and at the time had an unlimited check book. What would your "classy" solution to that situation have been?

What kind of question is this? Talk about ridiculous, beyond unrealistic, and something I never insinuated.

How do you expect the Wings to continue building a competitive team if they sign and trade UFA's? What UFA in their right-mind would sign with us knowing that they could be moved less than a month later to some crap organization?

A valuable UFA, not a resigned player would not be moved as he was brought in to adress the need. lilija is an unessarcy player as of now.

I suppose I am in the minority with NFM, Lilja is NOT being moved.

As a business, managment stand point it would be very stupid to trade a player you just signed or re-signed. Economically it makes sense, but you don't go for the lesser of the two evils on this one to make room for cap space that we don't need. Like has been stated, Big Rig in the AHL frees us up a mil to give us 1.5 or so. Then with trading Lebs or Sammy (for his price and his "role", wouldn't make sense to trade, and I hate Sammy) we will have plenty of cap room.

Great to hear that we have him locked up for 5 more years. I think this will turn out to be a steal in a year or two and only a slight over payment this year.

If he sees a solid amount of time this year with either Dats or Hossa that deal will be steal this year, if healthy!!

A valuable UFA, not a resigned player would not be moved as he was brought in to adress the need. lilija is an unessarcy player as of now.

The point is, Lilja, while not a crowd pleaser here at LGW would have definitely made more money if he had of opted to test the market. Hell, the Leafs would have given him 1.75 or maybe even 2 M. We're talking about a defencemen who has been to at least the conference finals in both of his last 2 seasons and has a Stanley Cup ring. Holland signed him for depth, he could be a top 4 guy on a weak team. Also, he would have been able to choose his destination.

Just because he's not a superstar doesn't mean you sign the guy to a reasonable deal then ship him off.

Why doesn't Chelios just sit out for most of the season and sign at the trade deadline? That way his cap. won't hurt but he will still be part of the team.

yeah we ve seen Cheli was especially valuable for this playoff's year :thumbup::ph34r:

Am I the only one here who think that Filpulla didn t do a REALLY GOOD PLAYOFF RUN?

Konnan you re right, Lilja is going nowhere!

How much guxa do you think we could have for a package Lebda+Sammy?a 2nd or a 3rd?

yeah we ve seen Cheli was especially valuable for this playoff's year :thumbup::ph34r:

Am I the only one here who think that Filpulla didn t do a REALLY GOOD PLAYOFF RUN?

How much guxa do you think we could have for a package Lebda+Sammy?a 2nd or a 3rd?

I wasn't mentioning it because of his playoff run, I was more thinking about his cap hit. On top of that maybe giving the old man a long time to get ready would be good.

Holland has stated that Lilja was signed as insurance in case the young guys dont work out. He also said that Lilja could very well be traded.

Not that good against the Preds,but otherwise he was really good (especially in the finals where he was a beast) considering he played half of the playoffs with an injured leg.

Did he have a really good playoff run, maybe not, but he sure as hell did his job to perfection. Scored some amazing goals and timely goals, played brilliant defense and didn't commit any stupid penalties, I think off the top of my head he had one, maybe two penalties all of playoffs. I think he did a very satisfactory job.

For that package..maybe Russian Twins, or possibly a Swedish model. Depends on who you ask....in all honesty I have no idea. L+S for a 2nd and 4th maybeeeee, maybe just a 3rd for a 2nd/3rd line player who plays excellent defense on about half the teams and a depth D-Man, maybe a top 4 on about 5 teams.

If I'm Holland, I don't sign Chelly and offer him a position with the organization, and then I trade Lils and Sammy.

The Wings will have their choice of a young defenseman and forward to take their place. Their trade value will never be higher, although I wouldn't expect to get more than a 4th or 5th round pick for either of them, and the Wings could save somewhere between 700 - 900 K depending on which young guys they bring up.

Helm should be on the roster this year, and who knows how Leino performs, and Ericsson could impress at camp.

With that said, some tough decisions could be coming at the end of next year with regard to Hossa and Franzen.

I think you're blowing the whole scenario out of porportion. The Red Wings will do what is right from an organizational standpoint and from a player standpoint -- and that's dealing Lilja, IMO. If he was worried about getting dealt after he signed the contract he could've demanded a NTC, but he didn't.

Situations change. Lineups change. Roles change. With Stuart locked up and the kids knocking on the door, Lilja's salary and role on the team makes him expendable. I'm sure he's starting to see the writing on the wall.

Ultimately it'll come down to training camp and how the kids perform. If Lilja drastically out-plays them, then maybe one or two of the Meech/Quincey/Lebda triumverate gets traded. If he doesn't have that big of a gap -- which I'm expecting -- his role is reduced. He doesn't play, etc..

He does have his Stanley Cup ring, and he's got a few years left to play at least... Why spend the next two No. 7 or worse on a blueline as deep as this?

Trading Lilja won't have any effect on the Red Wings' rep as a "classy" organization. It's a business. They're not trading him out of spite -- it's out of necessity and what would ultimately be best for both sides.

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you see that? link?

He didn't name Lilja specifically, but in a radio interview recently he did mention that he had players that he could move to clear the blueline and he said they "make just over a million and below" (alluding to their attractiveness of affordability for an opposing team).

Lilja's the only one that makes over $1-million that would be dealt.

Just because he's not a superstar doesn't mean you sign the guy to a reasonable deal then ship him off.

Ya know, this is a good point. He most certainly could have gotten more on the open market. It wouldn't be an employee friendly thing to trade him.

He didn't name Lilja specifically, but in a radio interview recently he did mention that he had players that he could move to clear the blueline and he said they "make just over a million and below" (alluding to their attractiveness of affordability for an opposing team).

Lilja's the only one that makes over $1-million that would be dealt.

And Matt FTW lol