• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ruys92

Chelios, Downey, McCarty, and Quincey

Rate this topic

So obviously we have a logjam on D.....does anyone think we might trade a D-man and a forward? If I were Holland and could find a taker, I'd trade a D-man and Samuelsson.....according to the salary figures on this site Samuelsson will be making 1.2 mil this season....if we can trade him and Lebda (honestly I know some people dog Lilja, but I do like that he's willing to drop the gloves every now and then and has a bit of an edge to his game) then I think we'd free up more than enough room for the guys remaining and may even have some left over.

By the way, does anyone know what the smallest salary is we could actually pay Chelios? I'm sure the CBA has some stipulation on a minimum salary for a player that has been around for awhile, but I was wondering if he made the league minimum last year or if he didn't, so that would free up some more space if Chelios would sign for a little less money.....it seems to me that he's waiting to sign a contract until Holland has put all the other pieces into place so he can figure out where he fits cap wise...

Edited by AUWingsFan

Guest Dump-N-Thump

FOR THE LAST TIME

QUINCEY HAS TO GO THROUGH WAIVERS IF YOU WANT HIM IN GR!!!

wow, why should we trade lilja and samuelsson to sign much worse players? This doesnt make any sense. Chelios is freaking 47 years old and he was a non factor in the cup win and you wanna trade away our players that contributed in our cup win, atleast samuelsson did a fine job in the finals.

get real :thumbdown:

Lilja was only ever signed as an insurance policy. Holland even said that. Everyone is gonna be signed, and battle at camp. My guess, judging on how Lilja has played last year, is that he may be the odd man out after camp. Lebda is a possibility as well. There is a damn good chance Quincey will impress enough to stick around. He has the potential, and I think he will do so. You really think they'd keep Lilja around if Quincey outperforms him at camp? Along with Meech? Not a chance. They'll need to clear space, and Lilja is the most logical choice. Chelios will be back, no question there. He is too good of a mentor for our young defense, and he played fine last season until he got injured.

I never said they would trade Samuelsson, I said it could be a possibility if Helm continues to greatly improve upon what he has done since his last call up. Chances are he will play in Grand Rapids, but if he is impressive enough at camp, he'll be sticking around. Same goes with Ericsson.

Lilja wasn't a HUGE factor in our cup win by any means. He's been scratched in the playoffs as well for playing poorly. Sure he was solid for us in the finals, but there is no need to pretend he was an oh so important piece of the puzzle. Now I'm not a Lilja hater like many here. I actually like the guy. But I'd rather see players like Meech, Quincey, and even Lebda take over the 3rd pairing, with Chelios playing games here and there as well to mentor them. I like Samuelsson as well. I agree with him being helpful in the cup run. But if Helm or any of the other kids in the system can prove they belong, IMO, Sammy would probably be the most expendable forward seeing how we signed Hossa and all. But I doubt he will be going anywhere, I just implied it as a possibility.

And as for you saying Helm, our young defensemen, and Chelios are worse then Lilja and Samuelsson, why don't you get real.

Ericsson already signed. ;)

See, my predictions are coming true already.

:D

edited for smiley to reduce potential misinterpretation indicating that I'm a complete ******.

Edited by 58Miles2Joe

Chelios signs between 500k-600k, Quincey signs for 600k and plays in GR, McCarty signs for 550k with a two-way deal and no idea about Downey, not sure what his wants are.

Chelios , Quincey and Meech sign for 600k, Mac and Downey sign two-ways @550k and they never are up at the same time problem solved.......

Chelios signs between 500k-600k, Quincey signs for 600k and plays in GR, McCarty signs for 550k with a two-way deal and no idea about Downey, not sure what his wants are.

QUincey has to stay in Detroit, he is out of options. If he is sent down he is exposed to waivers, which he would be picked up quickly

Oh, I didn't know that. I only assumed that he's over 25 because there has been talk about Ericsson being the only D who's waiver exempt.

Holland has said Quincey is out of options and has to be on the Wings roster. Ericsson is going to GR because he can go without waivers, because if Quincey could go, he would be in GR and Ericsson in Detroit.

Lilja was only ever signed as an insurance policy. Holland even said that. Everyone is gonna be signed, and battle at camp. My guess, judging on how Lilja has played last year, is that he may be the odd man out after camp. Lebda is a possibility as well. There is a damn good chance Quincey will impress enough to stick around. He has the potential, and I think he will do so. You really think they'd keep Lilja around if Quincey outperforms him at camp? Along with Meech? Not a chance. They'll need to clear space, and Lilja is the most logical choice. Chelios will be back, no question there. He is too good of a mentor for our young defense, and he played fine last season until he got injured.

I never said they would trade Samuelsson, I said it could be a possibility if Helm continues to greatly improve upon what he has done since his last call up. Chances are he will play in Grand Rapids, but if he is impressive enough at camp, he'll be sticking around. Same goes with Ericsson.

Lilja wasn't a HUGE factor in our cup win by any means. He's been scratched in the playoffs as well for playing poorly. Sure he was solid for us in the finals, but there is no need to pretend he was an oh so important piece of the puzzle. Now I'm not a Lilja hater like many here. I actually like the guy. But I'd rather see players like Meech, Quincey, and even Lebda take over the 3rd pairing, with Chelios playing games here and there as well to mentor them. I like Samuelsson as well. I agree with him being helpful in the cup run. But if Helm or any of the other kids in the system can prove they belong, IMO, Sammy would probably be the most expendable forward seeing how we signed Hossa and all. But I doubt he will be going anywhere, I just implied it as a possibility.

And as for you saying Helm, our young defensemen, and Chelios are worse then Lilja and Samuelsson, why don't you get real.

I agree with what he said, but I THINK Maltby was the least effective player in the playoffs. Sammy has a great shot and can contribute if he can stay consistent.

Maltby is life time member of the Red Wings. I don't think it would even be considered to cut him. Most likely he should be the 13th forward, so players like Helm, Leino, Kopecky and other young forwards can get proper ice time.

It's shame that we have a greedy Fin player now on our hands.Might not be enough money now to sign these guys.Wonder if Flip will still be happy about being greedy when he gets railed by someone this year and there is noone there to protect him.

It's shame that we have a greedy Fin player now on our hands.Might not be enough money now to sign these guys.Wonder if Flip will still be happy about being greedy when he gets railed by someone this year and there is noone there to protect him.

Are you serious??? No you can't be. No one can possibly be this stupid in real life. Greedy fin player? He signed a 5 year deal that pays 3 per. Maybe, MAYBE this season is a slight overpayment but in 1-2 years this will be a steal. We did not really have an enforcer on the ice last Playoff's atleast not that did anything, hell Datsyuk and Zetterberg did more enforcing then Mac did. What happened last year? Same tired crap over and over and over...

Where the $%^$@ did you come up with that? Greedy Finn player? You are on drugs

Bad_Post.jpg

(1) For reasons IceMunkee already stated.

(2) Filppula never played with an enforcer on his line.

(3) Have you looked at some of the ridiculous overpayments this off-season more than $3M a year? Jeff Finger? Brian Campbell? Christobal Huet?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

There's no rush to sign any of them really. I highly doubt Downey or McCarty have recieved any interest from any team and Holland knows if they sign them there's no risk in waiving them as if another team wanted them they had all summer to sign them for the league minimum.

WTF?

Lilja was as huge as it can get for a 6th dman, and i love cheli and all hope he sticks around but the bottom line is Lilja out performed him as the playoffs wore on. Maybe if cheli gets more games off during the season it's a different story, guess we'll find out this year. Anyway, people tend to only remember the gaffes Lilja has, HUGE once in a while, and overlook how he fills his role great on a nightly basis, he really does a great job pk'ing and shot blocking.

Sammy's the biggest bargin on the team.

Lilja was as huge as it can get for a 6th dman, and i love cheli and all hope he sticks around but the bottom line is Lilja out performed him as the playoffs wore on. Maybe if cheli gets more games off during the season it's a different story, guess we'll find out this year. Anyway, people tend to only remember the gaffes Lilja has, HUGE once in a while, and overlook how he fills his role great on a nightly basis, he really does a great job pk'ing and shot blocking.

No one notices because he doesn't score. And if you are a defenseman and you don't score, you aren't going to be noticed unless you do something wrong.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

True.

I like Lilja and Sammy, There not my favorite players by any means but at the same time, They are important pieces to our team, I cant think of a better 6/7th D-Man, Well maybe Quincey ;) aye o.. And sammy's production:salary ratio is amazing..

no hank is the biggest bargain on the team right now.

and cheli couldn't out perform lilly pads because he had a f***ed up leg....and didnt he say he was having surgery this summer that he got like 5 yrs ago and felt like new

I cant wait for training camp

With the way that players are being overpaid in the NHL (see Jeff Finger from Toronto) I think they got off light with Filppulas contract, but that's for another thread.

Hmmm

I've heard of greedy Russians but not greedy Fins, that's a new one.

Perhaps your just an idiot?

Greedy? If re-signing Filppula for five years means losing Downey and/or Mac, then so be it. That "no protection" garbage is nonsense. The Red Wings have proven two years in a row they are more than tough enough, and they don't shy away from any opponent team or player. How much winning do the Red Wings have to do to shed the "too soft" crap?