• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Feel better about that? Was that the first time your life saying that? Probably the last....

2009 is still going to be a hard pill to swallow for Michigan fans. you heard it hear first. 5-7 team next year for Michigan. The question is whether Rich Rod has his job after next year or not. My guess is Michigan won't admit they made a bad pick at coach for fear of egg on their face. They will ride Rich Rod til the team is full of his players. My guess is that Michigan's earliest return is in 2010.

Feel better about that? Was that the first time your life saying that? Probably the last....

Yes, I do feel better. I really am enjoying the Callahaning of the Michigan program. Considering that more than half the teams in college football go to a bowl game, it could be the last time I say it for a while.

And really, I shouldn't be so mean to Michigan. I mean, under their new coach, it has been a record setting year!

-First losing season since 1967.

-Snapping the longest active bowl streak in college football at 33 (34?) years.

-First loss to a MAC team in school history, at home no less.

-First loss to Penn State in 12 years.

-First loss to MSU at home in 18 years.

-First 9 loss team in school history

Yes, its been a historical year for DickRod. Here's to another year just like it in 2009! :beerbuddy:

Anyway, moving on to the school that still has football to play, the more I think about it, the more I like the matchup against the Gamecocks in the Outback. It's a New Years Day bowl game, the first one for MSU since the Citrus Bowl in 2000. It's a better matchup for MSU than the Capitol One bowl would be. It might be good for the Big 10 to only have one BCS team, OSU aginst UGA is a much better matchup than MSU against UGA, and it trickles down and gives the rest of the Big 10 a better matchup.

Anyone planning on attending any bowl games? If Rutgers ends up in the Texas Bowl (the CBS projection has them there) I'll be going. We went in 2006 and had a blast.

I agree with you Blak regarding the MSU in that they should request to go to the Outback bowl. I just dont see anyway that MSU wins the Capital One bowl against either Alabama, Florida or Georgia. I do however see MSU capable of winning against South Carolina in the Outback. Hell if MSU gets passed and somehow gets sent to the Alamo Bowl, they would likely play Missouri. Missouri scares me a lot more than South Carolina does.

Good for the program to not only go to bowl games but show they can win them. Plus a 10 win season sounds really good to show that this program is headed in the right direction under Dantonio.

OUTBACK BOWL BABY!!

Yes, I do feel better. I really am enjoying the Callahaning of the Michigan program. Considering that more than half the teams in college football go to a bowl game, it could be the last time I say it for a while.

And really, I shouldn't be so mean to Michigan. I mean, under their new coach, it has been a record setting year!

-First losing season since 1967.

-Snapping the longest active bowl streak in college football at 33 (34?) years.

-First loss to a MAC team in school history, at home no less.

-First loss to Penn State in 12 years.

-First loss to MSU at home in 18 years.

-First 9 loss team in school history

Yes, its been a historical year for DickRod. Here's to another year just like it in 2009! :beerbuddy:

Typical MSU fan talking about U-M's struggles before starting to talk about their own team's success :rolleyes: I don't know what you're more excited about: Almost winning the Big Ten, or that other school's down year. Pretty sad.....

BTW "Callahaning" a program is the WORST example I have ever heard. Wow, John L Smith would actually be closer...that's sad

I agree with you Blak regarding the MSU in that they should request to go to the Outback bowl. I just dont see anyway that MSU wins the Capital One bowl against either Alabama, Florida or Georgia. I do however see MSU capable of winning against South Carolina in the Outback. Hell if MSU gets passed and somehow gets sent to the Alamo Bowl, they would likely play Missouri. Missouri scares me a lot more than South Carolina does.

Good for the program to not only go to bowl games but show they can win them. Plus a 10 win season sounds really good to show that this program is headed in the right direction under Dantonio.

OUTBACK BOWL BABY!!

I like MSU's chances against South Carolina best of any of the possible match ups. Besides it would be interesting to see Dantonio coach against the team that he played for. Dantonio played defensive back for three years (76-78) at South Carolina.

OUTBACK BOWL BABY!!

I think it would take a lot for MSU to end up in the Alamo Bowl, they would have to get jumped by Iowa and Northwestern. The Spartans have a better record and beat both of those teams head to head. Selfishly, I kind of wish it would happen since I'd be able to go to the game. But the Outback and the Cap are much better for MSU. I'd trade watching the Spartans on TV on New Years, for seeing them in person in San Antonio.

Typical MSU fan talking about U-M's struggles before starting to talk about their own team's success :rolleyes: I don't know what you're more excited about: Almost winning the Big Ten, or that other school's down year. Pretty sad.....

So, if I had talked about MSU first, what would you say then? I watch what Michigan does because they are MSU's biggest rival. I'm enjoying their season immensely, as is everyone else in the Big 10. But when it comes down to it, I don't give a f*** about Michigan. I'm a Spartan. I care about Michigan State.

I don't see why you're upset anyway, I was congratulating your coach.

So, if I had talked about MSU first, what would you say then? I watch what Michigan does because they are MSU's biggest rival. I'm enjoying their season immensely, as is everyone else in the Big 10. But when it comes down to it, I don't give a f*** about Michigan. I'm a Spartan. I care about Michigan State.

I don't see why you're upset anyway, I was congratulating your coach.

Yeah, real classy congratulations.....happy Thanksgiving

See ya Charlie. Thanks for all the talk and no results.

Isn't it really Ty's fault though?

Updated bowl projections for the Big 10.

MSU: Capitol One vs. Georgia.

OSU: Fiesta vs. Texas.

Penn State: Rose vs. USC.

Iowa: Outback v. South Carolina.

Minnesota: Insight v. Kansas.

Wisconsin: Alamo v. Missouri

Northwestern: Champs Sports v. Virginia Tech

I don't like a lot of those matchups for the Big 10. I think MSU may be able to hang around with Georgia. They never should have been the number one team to start with, and from what I've read, if you can control the trenches against them, you can beat the Dawgs.

Iowa and Minnesota might have a decent shot as well. South Carolina hasn't beat a good team all year, Iowa might be able to impose their will and run the ball all day. Kansas had their nice win over Mizzu, but that's it as well.

Isn't it really Ty's fault though?

Updated bowl projections for the Big 10.

MSU: Capitol One vs. Georgia.

OSU: Fiesta vs. Texas.

Penn State: Rose vs. USC.

Iowa: Outback v. South Carolina.

Minnesota: Insight v. Kansas.

Wisconsin: Alamo v. Missouri

Northwestern: Champs Sports v. Virginia Tech

I don't like a lot of those matchups for the Big 10. I think MSU may be able to hang around with Georgia. They never should have been the number one team to start with, and from what I've read, if you can control the trenches against them, you can beat the Dawgs.

Iowa and Minnesota might have a decent shot as well. South Carolina hasn't beat a good team all year, Iowa might be able to impose their will and run the ball all day. Kansas had their nice win over Mizzu, but that's it as well.

Ouch, I don't like any of those match-ups. I never bet against USC in the big games, don't think MSU can hang with Georgia because of Hoyer, OSU will do their best Buffalo Bills impression like always, Wisconsin will get shredded by the spread offense, never know what you're getting with Iowa or NW, and I think Kansas will eventually outscore Minnesota. Not good!!! These projections can change quick though....

2009 is still going to be a hard pill to swallow for Michigan fans. you heard it hear first. 5-7 team next year for Michigan. The question is whether Rich Rod has his job after next year or not. My guess is Michigan won't admit they made a bad pick at coach for fear of egg on their face. They will ride Rich Rod til the team is full of his players. My guess is that Michigan's earliest return is in 2010.

Michigan will be back next year, Beaver and Forcier are already better players than Sheridan and Threet. How many times this year did the offense stall out because of bad plays by the QB? 1,324,353,324,566 times? I'm not willing to say a national title next year, but the Alamo Bowl is the least this team should be in next year at this time.

Eastern, Western, Notre Dame, Indiana, Iowa and Purdue should all be wins. Plug in another lousy non-conference team (I've heard Delaware....looks like Billy Martin still hasn't learned) and this team is already at 7 wins. State, Penn State, Illinois, Wisky and SweaterVestU should have at least a 2-3 record and this team could vault back up to 9 wins.

The schedule will be Michigan's friend next year, Eastern and Western are no Toledo, they lose games they are supposed to :)

Texas got shafted to say the least not playing for the Big 12 title despite beating the one team in their part division that is going to and sharing the same conference record.

I understand the rules that were in place to choose Oklahoma over Texas, I get that the BCS was used, no I don't hate Oklahoma or absolutely love Texas, don't care one way or another for either of them, but it is just another way how the BCS is messed up.

Another is that people will probably pick Ohio State or another team lower than an undefeated Boise State team in the standings to go to a BCS game even though Boise State did everything within the rules and their schedule to go undefeated and work their way up the standings. I'm not going to waste my time and debate weaker vs. stronger schedules between those two schools stated or others because it is an endless debate which I really don't care to get into. That is probably the human element showing bias over the BCS itself though.

I like bowl games as it gives me as a fan more chances to watch football, but it isn't always about getting schools to the best bowl game or the best teams in there, for the BCS at least it is about $$$$$'s first (*insert Captain Obvious statement here*).

There are some parts of the BCS and bowl system that are just too political and wrong.

Michigan will be back next year, Beaver and Forcier are already better players than Sheridan and Threet. How many times this year did the offense stall out because of bad plays by the QB? 1,324,353,324,566 times? I'm not willing to say a national title next year, but the Alamo Bowl is the least this team should be in next year at this time.

Eastern, Western, Notre Dame, Indiana, Iowa and Purdue should all be wins. Plug in another lousy non-conference team (I've heard Delaware....looks like Billy Martin still hasn't learned) and this team is already at 7 wins. State, Penn State, Illinois, Wisky and SweaterVestU should have at least a 2-3 record and this team could vault back up to 9 wins.

The schedule will be Michigan's friend next year, Eastern and Western are no Toledo, they lose games they are supposed to :)

I agree. I don't know about 9 wins, because Forcier/Beaver will still have hard freshmen struggles, but they are an upgrade. It also helps both will be in spring practice. I will say though it is wishful thinking expecting them to have Chad Henne freshmen year. I can't believe some actually judge Rodriguez just off this year. This U-M team did not have a lot of talent, and that talent it did have was raw/young. If you are throwing the guy under the bus already it is a joke. His track record speaks for itself. Is that a guarantee he will have the same success at U-M? No it doesn't, but if also means you gotta let the guy do what he believes in

And like listed above the schedule is nicer.

Michigan will be better next year, because they have no place to go but up. Notre Dame is better this year as well, but would you say they are a good team? Honestly, after watching this year, what on earth makes you think next year is a 9 win season? Because they're Michigan and they can't be bad? Tell that Florida State, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Miami.

The only safe games I see on that schedule are Eastern, Western, and Indiana. If Notre Dame lands Brian Kelly, UM (and MSU) better watch out. Iowa has a great running back and offensive line. Purdue's new QB is pretty good and is only going to get better. Heck, from what I've read, WMU has a damn good QB. That might not even be safe.

My gut feeling is Michigan is at least 2-3 seasons away from sniffing 9 wins. If Penn State and Michigan State (two opponents that have been a guarenteed W the last 10 years) continue to improve, it's going to make it that much tougher for Michigan. RichRod is going to be a slightly better version of John L. Smith. When he's on, its going to be pretty amazing to watch. But when he's off, its going to be ugly.

You said UM would beat Notre Dame this season too. Not to mention, you said Michigan was the third best team in the Big Ten after beating Wisconsin. How did that work out?

Michigan will be better next year, because they have no place to go but up. Notre Dame is better this year as well, but would you say they are a good team? Honestly, after watching this year, what on earth makes you think next year is a 9 win season? Because they're Michigan and they can't be bad? Tell that Florida State, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Miami.

The only safe games I see on that schedule are Eastern, Western, and Indiana. If Notre Dame lands Brian Kelly, UM (and MSU) better watch out. Iowa has a great running back and offensive line. Purdue's new QB is pretty good and is only going to get better. Heck, from what I've read, WMU has a damn good QB. That might not even be safe.

My gut feeling is Michigan is at least 2-3 seasons away from sniffing 9 wins. If Penn State and Michigan State (two opponents that have been a guarenteed W the last 10 years) continue to improve, it's going to make it that much tougher for Michigan. RichRod is going to be a slightly better version of John L. Smith. When he's on, its going to be pretty amazing to watch. But when he's off, its going to be ugly.

I agree 100% with the first 2 paragraphs. Can't agree, or disagree on the third. I guess well have to wait and see on how good or bad the Big Ten is. MSU, and PSU could underachieve next season, while Michigan overachieves, or vise versa. You just never know, especially with football. I take it you're in a good mood today, because you actually said "RichRod" over something else ( -:

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Notre Dame is not a better team this year than last year, their record is VERY decieving. Sure their win total is up to 6 this year but they barely beat Stanford and Navy and beat up on a Michigan team that basically fumbled the game over to them. Nine wins will be possible, its pure speculation now, hell, Forcier could be the next Tim Tebow or Threet could shock the world and play his ass off next year. Their schedule will be the easiest in as long as I can remember it being.

Weis is staying apparently (ESPN), Purdue is losing Tiller, that is probably the only motivation they had to beat Michigan (plus Tiller was gunning for RichRod after the whole Roy Roundtree situation). As a Western student I can tell you that Hiller is indeed good and since it is the opener I would not be surprised if WMU pulled the 'upset' but they are losing a good deal of their starters (West, Simmons, Biggers) and I would watch out for the State game at Ford Field, if Western gets rolling it could turn out to be a good game, probably not enough for the upset, yet a close game (Western stuck with Nebraska until the 4th quarter this year at Nebraska, Central till the end of the game at Central and was within 10 points at Ball State with 12 minutes left in the game, they very well could have been undefeated and in the top 12 of the BCS instead of Ball State)

Mich State will only improve because they get the lucky f*ckin draw and do not have to play Ohio State, the UofM/MSU game will decide their fates in the conference, if they win then they have a shot at running the table but a loss would almost lock them out of a championship.

You said UM would beat Notre Dame this season too. Not to mention, you said Michigan was the third best team in the Big Ten after beating Wisconsin. How did that work out?

Michigan was the third best team in the Big Ten at that time, that team just never showed up again. Also the game will be at Michigan, a huge difference than NDS.

Like Blak said, When Rich Rod was on, it was amazing to watch. But when its not its hideous to watch.

Edited by redwings1914

Michigan will be slightly better next year, if only by default. The guys who have been there will have experience with the system, Dick Rod will have more of his players and less of Lloyd's, and a new QB to run it all. That said, that freshman QB is gonna make a bunch of mistakes and probably cost UM as many games as he'll win.

For marked improvement, better look 2 years down the road. The problems of this Michigan team won't be fixed in one off-season.

Michigan will be slightly better next year, if only by default. The guys who have been there will have experience with the system, Dick Rod will have more of his players and less of Lloyd's, and a new QB to run it all. That said, that freshman QB is gonna make a bunch of mistakes and probably cost UM as many games as he'll win.

For marked improvement, better look 2 years down the road. The problems of this Michigan team won't be fixed in one off-season.

I agree on the QB thing. That's the problem. If it was a JUCO I would feel better, but still have questions. I was actually just trying to find true freshmen QB stats over the last decade, and could hardly find any. Without question Chad Henne was the best true freshmen QB ever, and when I saw his stats it was incredible compared to the others. Pryor was 2nd on the list of true freshmen QB's I could find, but I think he can thank his legs for a much better season. Guys like Stafford had 7 TD's, and 13 INT's his first year, and Tebow was a in a package.

Notre Dame is not a better team this year than last year, their record is VERY decieving. Sure their win total is up to 6 this year but they barely beat Stanford and Navy and beat up on a Michigan team that basically fumbled the game over to them. Nine wins will be possible, its pure speculation now, hell, Forcier could be the next Tim Tebow or Threet could shock the world and play his ass off next year. Their schedule will be the easiest in as long as I can remember it being.

Michigan was the third best team in the Big Ten at that time, that team just never showed up again. Also the game will be at Michigan, a huge difference than NDS.

Yes, Notre Dame is better than last season. Either you don't watch the games or you are just in denial. I am not thrilled about 6-6 or how the season ended, but to say they didn't improve at all is absurd. The only thing I see you doing is making excuses. Of course you mentioned the close wins Notre Dame had, but I assume you neglected the close losses on purpose? North Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse were all very winnable games. It was raining for the Irish too when they played Michigan, so the fumble excuse is lame. 6-6 isn't a deceiving record for Notre Dame at all. It's probably a perfect indicator of what they are - a mediocre football team.

Huh? You were basing the first conference game for UM as a barometer? Not to mention that win came against Wisconsin, the most overrated team in the conference and a mediocre team overall. Michigan was never the third best team in the Big Ten - the next week against Illinois proved that. One game is hardly a sample size to make a statement like you made.

Edited by GoWings1905

They're improved, although I'm not sure by how much. Clawson is definitely better than he was last year, and they have some nice receivers. If Notre Dame had a decent offensive line and a better coach, I think they'd be pretty good.

Mich State will only improve because they get the lucky f*ckin draw and do not have to play Ohio State, the UofM/MSU game will decide their fates in the conference, if they win then they have a shot at running the table but a loss would almost lock them out of a championship.

Really. Because it has nothing at all to do with Dantonio being a great fit at MSU. Or the improved recruiting classes he's bringing in. Or the toughness he's instilling in the program. Nope, that couldn't be it all. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with players playing above their supposed skill level. It's only because the Spartans won't play OSU for the next two years. Give me a break. This was a team that was 4-8 and in complete shambles two years ago. They're 9-3 and heading to a NYD bowl game this year. Maybe its because the last two years we didn't play Illinois and Juice Williams.

Like Blak said, When Rich Rod was on, it was amazing to watch. But when its not its hideous to watch.

The only problem with that was, he was only on for half a game against an incredibly overrated Badger team that gave the game away.

Really. Because it has nothing at all to do with Dantonio being a great fit at MSU. Or the improved recruiting classes he's bringing in. Or the toughness he's instilling in the program. Nope, that couldn't be it all. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with players playing above their supposed skill level. It's only because the Spartans won't play OSU for the next two years. Give me a break. This was a team that was 4-8 and in complete shambles two years ago. They're 9-3 and heading to a NYD bowl game this year. Maybe its because the last two years we didn't play Illinois and Juice Williams.

Michigan State was a program on the rise in 2003. They were a program on the rise in 2000. They were a program on the rise in 1997. A program on the rise in 1993. And a program on the rise in 1988. Oh yeah, and a program on the rise in 1985. There's always some recruit, or a win over Michigan, or new coach, or lucky new helmet design that is going to turn the corner.

Look I'm not ripping your view on Dantonio. He has done a great job, but I've seen this story unfold before. Before I get ripped for saying all this I just want to make one thing clear: I said 2 years ago my gut feeling was Dantonio was going to bring MSU to a higher level, and John Beilein would bring U-M basketball to a higher level. It's been my feeling from day 1 for both hires.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434