• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Good to see the Spartan fans still show up every year. I dont know how you do it. I'm not a fan, but I do like State and I think I would have had a mental breakdown from following Spartan football a long time ago. Is it one of those, "I can't help it" things....like with the Lions?

Ohio State can become the first Big Ten team ever to win three straight outright Big Ten Championships. It's not the goal, but it'd be nice.

That was college basketball. This thread is for college football.

Oh my fault. I thought it was college basketball 24/7/365 for Spartans.

Ohio State can become the first Big Ten team ever to win three straight outright Big Ten Championships. It's not the goal, but it'd be nice.

I think I saw a pic online showing a OSU player with a motivational shirt on that had something to do with 3 straight Big Ten Titles. I also saw one that said "Strive for 5" referring to Michigan.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I think I saw a pic online showing a OSU player with a motivational shirt on that had something to do with 3 straight Big Ten Titles. I also saw one that said "Strive for 5" referring to Michigan.

Yeah, Tressel isnt focusing on the National Championship this season like he has the last two. But we all know it's really the highest matter, along with beating Michigan.

Yeah, Tressel isnt focusing on the National Championship this season like he has the last two. But we all know it's really the highest matter, along with beating Michigan.

I don't think college football coaches should focus on the National Championship because if you do what you're suppose to do each, and every week things still may not fall into place. Perfect examples are Georgia going 12-1 a few years back, and Auburn going 13-0...neither got a sniff of a NC. If I were a coach my goal would be to win the league, and see what happens from there.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Whoa, this thread is intense already without a down of football even being played. College football brings out the passion in fans unlike any other sport, which is why Saturday's in the fall are the absolute best.

With the preseason polls, I do think Georgia is the best team in the country. However, their schedule is brutal and they have a tough non-conference game at Arizona State early on. USC is a bit overrated IMO, and that number two ranking has more to do with reputation than anything. The talent is certainly there, but SC has questionable, unproven wide receivers and a somewhat weak defensive line. Joe McKnight is going to be a blast to watch though at running back. Just glancing at the rankings, I would choose Wisconsin as my "sleeper team." If Wisconsin gets decent play at quarterback, I think they'll make a run for the Big Ten Championship, and a BCS bowl. They get Ohio State at home too.

As for my Fighting Irish, well it certainly can't get any worse. I really do think last season was a good learning experience for not only the players, but Weis and his coaching staff as well. Losing every weekend was horrible, but the underclassmen got a ton of playing time, which was very valuable heading into this year. Jon Tenuta is going to be great for the defense. Notre Dame was awful on the pass rush last season, so having Tenuta's agressive blitz packages will do wonders for the secondary, which is pretty solid. The biggest determining factor in how much ND improves depends on the offensive line. The Irish have to be able to utilize their talent and depth at running back. Giving up the most sacks in the country and leaving Clausen out to dry in the pocket is unacceptable. The offensive line has to do a complete 360 from last season for the Irish to be a success. Overall, the schedule is pretty favorable and Weis has no choice but to perform. Realistically, I expect about a 7-5 record and a win in a lower-tier bowl game. I'm very excited for the tradition to be restored at Notre Dame.

Apparently Izzo needs to learn that.

Also I MIGHT be wrong but didn't State also lose to Michigan Tech as well?

When did Izzo do that? Oh thats right.

THE GAME WAS AN EXHIBITION!! THE GAME DOESNT COUNT!

The Michigan-Appy State game was a season game and as much as Michigan fans dont like it. THE GAME COUNTS!!!

Why is it now that Michigan football fans have to resort to basketball in this thread. Normally you excuse us Sparty fans for throwing out the baskbetball card in this thread.

When did Izzo do that? Oh thats right.

THE GAME WAS AN EXHIBITION!! THE GAME DOESNT COUNT!

The Michigan-Appy State game was a season game and as much as Michigan fans dont like it. THE GAME COUNTS!!!

MSU should've won that game regardless of if it was an exhibition or not. Just like Michigan should've won the App. St. game as well regardless of whether it counted or not.

Why is it now that Michigan football fans have to resort to basketball in this thread. Normally you excuse us Sparty fans for throwing out the baskbetball card in this thread.

Why'd you have to start mouthing off in the first place?

MSU should've won that game regardless of if it was an exhibition or not. Just like Michigan should've won the App. St. game as well regardless of whether it counted or not.

Michigans record after that game was 0-1 while Michigan State was 0-0. Michigan's upset to Appy State is one of the greatest upsets OF ALL TIME!! Michigan fans dont like it but its part of your football history now. 10 years from now, no one is gonna remember GVSU's EXHIBITION win over MSU..outside of Michigan fans. Appy State's win over Michigan will stand the test of time and will always be brought up whenever they do a "greatest sports upsets of all time" pieces.

Why'd you have to start mouthing off in the first place?

Since when is being confident in your team, mouthing off. I am confident that MSU can take advantage of Michigan's rebuilding season this year. Is Michigan a better football school historically? YES. Is Michigan gonna be a better football school from here on out than MSU? Probably. But for this year, it's Sparty Time!!

..outside of Michigan fans.

And Michigan State fans as well.

Both teams still should have won both games, it doesn't matter what excuses you throw out because you are a State supporter or just absolutely loath Michigan.

And Michigan State fans as well.

Both teams still should have won both games, it doesn't matter what excuses you throw out because you are a State supporter or just absolutely loath Michigan.

Its insane to compare both upsets tho. If the Lions beat the Giants tonight in an NFL preseason game....does that mean that the Lions are better than the Giants?? NO WAY! If the Lions beat the Giants tonight, is it one of the greatest upsets of all time? HELL NO!!

^ saying Dick Rod childishly instead of his normal name. That was the start of what seems like a good bit of mouthing off to me in this thread.

This is college football.

Michigan and Ohio State fans mouth off and talk smack about each other all the time. Michigan State and Michigan does the same all the time. It's all in fun.

Michigan's new coach is Richard Rodriguez, or Rich Rod, or Dick Rod. It's his name. It's no different then the Michigan fans who would say John LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Smith.

Michigan and Ohio State fans mouth off and talk smack about each other all the time. Michigan State and Michigan does the same all the time. It's all in fun.

HockeytownRedWings, and I have been very nice to each other so far :!:

John LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Smith.

I miss that silly cowboy

Also I MIGHT be wrong but didn't State also lose to Michigan Tech as well?

No. We beat the Huskies last year.

Losing to GVSU sucked (sort of, since I have degrees from MSU and GVSU) but in the scheme of things, it's not going to be remembered like the App State loss will.

No. We beat the Huskies last year.

Losing to GVSU sucked (sort of, since I have degrees from MSU and GVSU) but in the scheme of things, it's not going to be remembered like the App State loss will.

The thing about Appalachian State was that in context it looks like its the biggest upset in the world. A top 5 team losing to a lower tier team, almost like the Red Wings losing to the Chicago Wolves. However Appalachian State was and still is the defending NC in their tier, just how the Wolves are currently the AHL champs...........but I'll get to my main point...many people forget that the biggest upset TALENT wise was USC losing to Stanford, Michigan was overrated and it was their first game. USC had been a constant number one for the whole season and they get shocked by a horrible Stanford team.

To connect this all together in a sloppy 2:30am way.....there are teams in the NHL that the Wolves could beat, just like there are teams that Appalachian State could beat....(and did)......but how would Stanford fare against App State?

The thing about Appalachian State was that in context it looks like its the biggest upset in the world. A top 5 team losing to a lower tier team, almost like the Red Wings losing to the Chicago Wolves. However Appalachian State was and still is the defending NC in their tier, just how the Wolves are currently the AHL champs...........but I'll get to my main point...many people forget that the biggest upset TALENT wise was USC losing to Stanford, Michigan was overrated and it was their first game. USC had been a constant number one for the whole season and they get shocked by a horrible Stanford team.

To connect this all together in a sloppy 2:30am way.....there are teams in the NHL that the Wolves could beat, just like there are teams that Appalachian State could beat....(and did)......but how would Stanford fare against App State?

I can see your point and its hard not to argue against it. I was more arguing that Michigan's loss to Appy State cannot be compared to MSU's hoops loss to GVSU. It was an exhibition and the game did not count. If your staying it doesnt matter then ESPN should be starting their top stories with the NFL upset of the year. The Lions defeated the defending super bowl champion Giants, 13-10 last night. It was only an exhibition but to some people, the game still counts. Give me a break!! Michigan fans, go back to your cracks on how MSU cant beat Central Michigan or Indiana....or how Michigan owns us...how we are little brother. Enough with resorting to "well michigan state loss to GVSU". For starters, this is a college football thread...save that for the hoops thread....and more importantly, it's Michigan State. Can't you find another amusing way to poke fun at Spartans then this. You already know I am coming with the Appy State jokes....the Dick Rod jokes. You would be shocked if I didnt.