• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrossoverThrash

Worst/best announcers

Rate this topic

since this is basically what the thorne thread is starting to turn into heres a few:

bad

Nashville "you want some mountian dew i love drinking it to get hyper and cheer on marek zid lick y and my son shea"

Columbus (main guy wants every guy on the teams cock, color guy is absolutely rediculous worst color guy in sports)

Chicago although i think there returnign to their old guys this year

Anaheim ohh, theres a fight, our team is badass

Pittsburgh yawn, yawn, yawn, OMG CROSBY SCORED WOOHOO HE IS THE BEST I TELL YA

NYI

Florida High voice

Tampa Bay Bland

Carolina says retarded ass things

Colorado ANOTHER RIGHT BY SACKIC ANOTHER RIGHT BY SACKIC ANOTHER ANOTHER ANOTHER SUPER JOE!!!!!!!!!!!

Vancouver (color guy) *******

Calgary (Color guy) *******

Neil Smith dumbass

St. Loius Leeegacy! annoying voice

Philly the guy actually sounds retarded, kieth jones sucks too

Washington main guy is OK but color guy sounds like hes that kid form deliverace if he were to talk

the better ones

Detroit self explanatory

NYR great voice

Dallas entertaining

Edmonton solid

Ottawa solid

Toronto solid

Buffaloooooooooooo! RICK!

Phoenix strader is pretty decent, panger is funny when he gets into it

most of the others are in between

Edited by CrossoverThrash

I can't stand whoever is on Versus. Not only do I hate the voice, but they either state the complete obvious or get facts completely wrong.

I could understand regional commentators being bad, especially for non hockey areas... But national commentators should be the best of the best... Like TSN.

Edited by BeeRYCE

Guest Shoreline
Really the only announcers I can say I enjoy hearing on a consistent basis are Ken Daniels, Gord Miller, Dean Brown, and Joe Bowen. Maybe Jim Hughson. Gary Thorne was a thing of the past to me, kind of like ESPN. If only we could get Sportsnet and TSN down here in California without a limited package like Center Ice.

There's just something about most American style broadcasts (including Thorne, and "Doc" Emerick) that just irks me. It's mostly blabbering throughout the game, like jousting of broadcast-peens, rather than calling the game and yapping between the whistles like most Canadian broadcasts.

I must also include Darren Pang, Dave Strader, and Pete Weber as amongst the most annoying. Pang and Strader symbolize the yap-all-*******-game play by play that has become prevalent in American-style broadcasts, while Weber's voice is simply annoying/boring.

Edited by Shoreline

the best:

play-by-play:

bob cole (CBC)

bruce martyn

ken kal (came to detroit from the CBC)

foster hewitt (CBC)

danny gallivan (CBC)

color:

harry neale

paul woods

the worst:

gary thorne

pete weber

bill clement

terry crisp

eddie olczyk

just ok:

mike emrick (much better when doing new york games locally)

mickey redmond (sorry, but he is the homer type we'd hate if we didn't love the wings)

most everyone else on FSN

a couple comments:

most of the best are CBC trained. also, the more you talk, the worse you are. listen to bob cole. he talks just

enough but knows when to shut up. and, when he does talk, he talks about the current game. but, NBC has forced

the hand of their announcers by requiring "interesting" anecdotes about the goalies dog or something else which has

nothing to do with the game. during this time, the usually forget to tell you what the last penalty was or who assisted

on the last goal. but, they try to tell stories like it is baseball and it doesn't work for hockey.

if you have never heard hewitt or gallivan, you are missing out. look them up on wikipedia.

Edited by njf520

This is probably a dissenting opinion, but I really like mike Emerick on NBS. His supporting cast sucks, but I do think he's a really great play by play guy. I enjoy listening to him.

Emrick really is not terrible. I think his voice is pretty awful, but he's an OK announcer and he's got some entertaining quirks. His real skill is finding the puck. I'm constantly astounded by his ability to describe exactly what happened to the slap shot that you just can't see on TV. He'll say it bounced off so-and-so's leg or he thinks the goalie got a piece of it with the knob of his stick or something and replay will prove him right. It's pretty impressive.

Doc's not bad by any stretch. And he does get more excited as the tension mounts in a game.

But my god, if you made a drinking game for everytime he said the word drive...

"...Rafalski with a DRIVE..."

"and a DRIVE by Lidstrom..."

You'd be toasted midway through the first period...

I dont know how anyone enjoys Rick's "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

"OOOAAAA WHAT A HIT BY CAMPBELL!!!!"

I like the energy but sometimes it is too much.

I think it's a little bit loooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeee

eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr than that! :P

I dont know how anyone enjoys Rick's "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

"OOOAAAA WHAT A HIT BY CAMPBELL!!!!"

I like the energy but sometimes it is too much.

Im not saying its good i like him cause its hilarious, its fun to watch sabres games even when they suck

Emrick really is not terrible. I think his voice is pretty awful, but he's an OK announcer and he's got some entertaining quirks. His real skill is finding the puck. I'm constantly astounded by his ability to describe exactly what happened to the slap shot that you just can't see on TV. He'll say it bounced off so-and-so's leg or he thinks the goalie got a piece of it with the knob of his stick or something and replay will prove him right. It's pretty impressive.

Doc is ok but he dosent need the publicity he gets stick him on the 3rd pairing and he would be good

the worst:

gary thorne

pete weber

bill clement

terry crisp

eddie olczyk

How do you not like clement, the guy has probably the best voice in all of sports, it amazing that he was a player to start

Im not saying its good i like him cause its hilarious, its fun to watch sabres games even when they suck

Bleh I can't stand the guy.

"AND THIS SERIES IS GOING BACK....TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS!!!"

And the guy who does play by play for Tampa Bay. He screams like a little girl. Aka the link that the guy above me just put up.

Edited by Doc Holiday

i hate terry crisp and the calgary homers, horrible, i like dallas though, was funny i was watching that gamw where..i think it was when zetterberg did the through the legs drop pass going behind the net to datsyuk who just tapped it in, and the dallas horn blew and the announcer was like wow that goal was so nice even the dallas guy got in on it. i don't know i thought it was hilarious..although it might have been a different goal, so many great goals the last couple seasons.

I like Rimer and Gare on FSN Ohio. I guess I'm a little biased towards Danny Gare too.

But also, FSNBA has the best local coverage of all. I enjoy FSND more as I'm a Wings fan but FSNBA are excellent.

I think it's a little bit loooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeee

eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr than that! :P

fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-loooonger!

Totally like Ken Kal and Paul Woods. I have to laugh. One time I saw a game at the Joe. Before the game, I have my home Wings jersey on and go up to where Woods is and yell, "Hey Woodsie, how's it going?" and he waved back.

Then a couple of days later, the Wings travel to Anaheim and as luck has it, I returned to San Diego. I drive up to the game wearing my road Wings jersey and go up to the radio box and yell up at Woodsie like before. You should have seen the double take!

One more thing. About the blabbing. A lot of announcers don't realize the difference between TV and radio broadcasting. On the radio, you have to paint a picture and be more descriptive. On the TV, you should shut up more. Not all of them make the transition.

Edit: mispelling (how could one 'daw' a game?)

Edited by octopusonice

Can't stand Weber and Crisp. Annoying beyond belief. Ahlers and Hayward in Anaheim bother me as well, constantly making excuses for the goonery of their players. Hard to believe that Ahlers used to do Vipers games.

Love Jim Hughson on Rogers Sportsnet, though I was introduced to him through the EA NHL games. Gotta love the way he says Filppula's name.

Ken and Mickey go without saying.

I don't think the Sharks' play-by-play guys - Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda - are too bad either. Pretty fair in their assessments of the game.

Woods... great guy, horrible announcer. Or uh, should I uh, say, uh... He sounds like Yoda with a speech impediment. I've been trying to figure out for years who "Kirta Malpy" is.

Kal wasn't from CBC, Daniels was. And speaking of Daniels, I'm getting tired of his incessant yelling too. He would call a brilliant game if he'd tone it down a few decibels.

Kal wasn't from CBC, Daniels was. And speaking of Daniels, I'm getting tired of his incessant yelling too. He would call a brilliant game if he'd tone it down a few decibels.

Admittedly, that bothers me sometimes too. I'll be half paying attention to the game, then I'll hear Daniels start yelling and think there's some big scoring chance going on...meanwhile, the puck's being batted around in the neutral zone. :lol:

When I listen to NHL Radio on XM, I hear a LOT of that in other cities too. Seems more prevalent on the radio. Especially in Pittsburgh. :P

"Malkin to CROSBY WITH THE PUCK OMG OMG OMG CROSBY WITH THE PUCK AND HE GOES OFFSIDE!!!"

Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but still...

Guest Shoreline

I definitely prefer Ken's sudden voice shooting-thru-the-roof on big plays, or sometimes nothing in particular, over many of the dull announcers out there who lack charisma or simply talk all game like they're spectators rather than play by play.

Edited by Shoreline

I like Rimer and Gare on FSN Ohio. I guess I'm a little biased towards Danny Gare too.

But also, FSNBA has the best local coverage of all. I enjoy FSND more as I'm a Wings fan but FSNBA are excellent.

are you serious, the color guy there is an absolute joke

I'm usually astounded by his being wrong on plays like that. I can't stand Emrick. He's probably a hell of a nice guy... but he's definitely a hell of an annoying announcer with his retarded non-hockey words that he tries to add to every sentence. It blows me away that any of your like him and his nasally voice.

just ok:

mickey redmond (sorry, but he is the homer type we'd hate if we didn't love the wings)

njf520 - I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree. While I won't say he is absolute best color guy out there, I think Mick is actually pretty even with his praise and criticism for both teams no matter who is on the ice.

I have had Center Ice for the past few years and have been lucky enough hear a lot of different p-b-p and color tandems for teams other than the Wings. For me, it's the bad ones who stick out more than the good ones. The best out there in my opinion are the Dallas, Edmonton, and Detriot broadcast teams.

Ken and Mick get a slight edge over the others partly because of homerism. They just have great chemistry and knowledge, and the focus is on the game a lot more often than not. Nothing pisses me off more when there is a penalty and a: the guys calling the game don't acknowledge it because they have better things to discuss than the FREAKIN' GAME; b: the broacast doesn't show the ref calling it; or c: they don't replay it, especially if the infraction happened off camera. That usually doesn't happen with an FSN Detroit broadcast.

The worst? Hands down, far and away, Weber and Crisp. I know Crisp knows hockey: he coached Calgary to their only Cup, didn't he? Is his style affected so the locals in Nashville can attempt to understand what he is talking about? Absolute homers as well. Just plain awful.

Off topic: Rink announcers really need to stop screaming when the home team is "ON...A...POWER PLAAAAAAYYY!!".